Do you need expensive peripherals?

Charlie Clarke

I use a wireless mouse I got from a supermarket for about £8 and it has lasted me well for 5 years (though maybe now it is dying).

My keyboard was £120, but it's a typist keyboard. Cherry blues, very minimalist design. It's great for gaming too though. I couldn't go back to a normal keyboard.

I went from wireless combo to wired. And won't go back if gaming. Latency was just horrible. Current gaming grade wireless stuff might be better but still no.

As for price of my current peripherals... Main display is most expensive single part with €200 tag. Being over 5yo its pretty good buy. Second monitor is €17, with €40 stand. Mouse €50, kb €60+€7 (replacement numpad) over 6yo. Mousepad €10. Headphones €100+€60 repair parts. Another pair was free. Other stuff is combined at €55, used and on sale stuff.

Actually most expensive peripheals is my chair with €700 tag. But it was used then and has been with me for 8 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't buy products because they are expensive. I buy them because higher quality stuff is more often than not more expensive.

I'm loving my Logitech G105 keyboard and G700s mouse.  The keyboard I guess is on the lower end of mid-range ($35?) and my mouse would be higher up ($80).  I haven't felt a need to go any higher than this, and one of the main reasons I got the G700s is because of the extra buttons.  Although, I haven't tried a mechanical keyboard...

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Pics pls? I'm really curious

I guess you meant the mouse?

tpHu8So.jpg

EDIT: pretty big picture.. It's more yellow in real life by the way

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I am happy with midrange gear ... Corsair K30 keyboard and M40 mouse. For me, spending more wouldn't be worth it, but I do understand why people do. One day I might move up to mechanical keys ....

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Of course its not needed its just nice. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of themselves. K70 RGB Blue Swtiches and Logitech G700s

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Do you need to buy expensive peripherals? Of course not, most of us started one inexpensive peripherals but they do tend to be nicer when you start getting into more expensive ones.

no you don't really need expensive stuff but everything else is personal opinion.

for people who live in the same country as me should know CDR-King they make a lot of cheap stuff that can be used right away until you can afford something better but the 7 days warranty and if you're lucky 1 month warranty is kinda not nice. also did a warranty for them and 2 months later still nothing.

Live your life like a dream.

One you experience higher end, better quality equipment it's really had to go back to low end stuff. I've got a SteelSeries Rival and SteelSeries 6Gv2 mechanical keyboard with reds at home, so nothing crazy price wise and love it. However, when I go back to using cheap mice/keyboards at work it's more than noticable - and while I can deal with it for my own person comfort I could not go back to the cheap membrane keyboard that is running on my server for my main rig. Same with mice - I couldn't be bothered to cheap out on a $10 mouse now.

I like to purchase my stuff to last - and to be comfortable. My last mouse was an ASUS ROG mouse that came with one of their gaming laptops back in 2010. It's still being used in my setup - for my server, but none the less, still being used. So I look at like 5 years for gear like this.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

do you have to spend $400 on gaming peripherals? Obviously spending a bit of money on a nice 1080p monitor is good, but keyboard and mouse? Also what keyboard and mouse do you use?

You only need about $140-$200 (Please note this is in AUD so it's probably $20 or so less in USD)

Decent mouse $60-$80

Decent keyboard $80-$120

Has for what keyboard and mouse I use, for my keyboard I use a poker 2, for my mouse I swap between a naos 7000 and a fk1

I guess you meant the mouse?

tpHu8So.jpg

EDIT: pretty big picture.. It's more yellow in real life by the way

Yes, I meant the mouse. Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

you don't need it but one day you decide you want a mechanical keyboard. You then shop online and find one and WHILE YOU ARE READING reviews you stumble upon gaming mice reviews and decide you need a new one AND WHILE YOU ARE READING mice reviews you stumble upon monitor reviews and decide you need a new one and WHILE YOU ARE READING....

[...]

... you file in for bankruptcy and live in the streets

well that's what happened with me at least :(

a.baa-Biggest-Keyboard-Ever.jpg

My fingers get caught on the keys

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

I want the best peripherals :P 

That doens't mean they are the most expensive (but usualy are)

I want nice monitor(s), nice mouse, nice keyboard, nice headphones, nice desk and nice chair. Even if i had the best computer in the world, it wouldn't be pleasurable to use it if i hadn't nice peripherals

Also, peripherals doens't need "upgrade" (or at least you don't need to upgrade them often)

True, the first keyboard i bought was 5 years ago and it was microsoft, my new one is only the second keyboard i have ever owned

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

Yes, I'd buy a topre keyboard in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I have a quickfire rapid-i with custom keycaps at the moment, seeing how much I use it and the expected lifetime (cherry mx switches are rated up to 50 million operations).

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T