No Water!

Guys...IMMINENT DANGER!

Okay, probably not as imminent as I am letting on, but no water? For days? That sounds serious enough to warrant this plea for help. Okay, so last night it went -23c and no amount of leaving my water running or dripping (which usually works) saved me. My water source is gone. What's worse is the cold froze and cracked the engine block (something like that, forget the name) of my car. So no travel. Car place is frozen as well and said they couldn't help, so that's out. And I live in a rural area so walking to a store...out of the question in this cold. I would die.

So my question to you lovely folk...should I melt some snow? I read that it is safe if you can get clean, pure white snow off the top of spots you are know are "clean" and boil it for at least forty minutes on high (thank God I still have power). I have several spots in mind. So? Do it or just potentially die of dehydration or wait out this icy temperature?

LTT member in need of water in dire times,

P.S

should something happen I leave my impressive good luck wishes to you all except tmcclelland455, he can't have any of the good luck. don't tell him. ;)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Guess it's your only option unless you want to take a dehydration risk.

-23c? I'd just say walk to the store if it's under 2km, You're not going to die. I've gone to school in -32C (because wind chill so it would have felt like like -36/42) as 7-8 year old child, the snow was at my knees.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

-23c? I'd just say walk to the store if it's under 2km, You're not going to die. I've gone to school in -32C as 7-8 year old child, the snow was at my knees.

It was -32 at one point in Vancouver? O_O

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

-23c? I'd just say walk to the store if it's under 2km, You're not going to die. I've gone to school in -32C as 7-8 year old child, the snow was at my knees.

-32? What a scrub!

lol

I've walked to school in -39 + windchill! (They close the schools at -40).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Melt the snow and boil it, then if you want, put it in a container (it might expand, warning) and place it in the snow for ~5-10 minutes for it to become cold again

GOOD LUCk :D

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Melt the snow boil it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Put a heater under your house (if you can) to thaw the pipes.

Melting snow would work too. Just don't panic, chill out. You have access to internet (and I'm guessing phone) so not much to worry about. :)

Ask your neighbor for water?

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

It was -32 at one point in Vancouver? O_O

Nope once lived in Calgary.

-32? What a scrub!

lol

I've walked to school in -39 + windchill! (They close the schools at -40).

I know I'm such a scrub. But dang... in the Kanto Desert too. /s Colder countries have weird closure standards.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Nope once lived in Calgary.

I know I'm such a scrub. But dang... in the Kanto Desert too. /s Colder countries have weird closure standards.

weird in Calgary schools close at -22 or -32 not sure which

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Silicon Valley, silly one.

South Vancouver pls.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Silicon Valley, silly one.

No, Vancouver.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

weird in Calgary schools close at -22 or -32 not sure which

Well it's not 22 but 22 is when you no longer get outside recess (don't know if they changed it) the bus never showed up but School was somewhat open for the like 20-40 people that showed up.

Computing enthusiast. 

It shouldn't take 45 minutes of boiling.

As soon as the waters boils all pathogens should be all dead very quickly. Boil for 5 minutes to be safe. 45 is overkill.

Also if you can, you can strain it if you want to get rid of any small nasties.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Melt snow and boil it unless you want to die

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Alright, melting snow now. So much snow, so little water. I've got one bucket so far.

P.S walking through the early morning for snow is scary as hell in the woods. :unsure:

Could place a clean bucket outside to collect if its still snowing. but yes. get that snow and melt it.

Hasn't started to snow again but I will put buckets out to catch it if it does. My luck it won't snow again.

-23c? I'd just say walk to the store if it's under 2km, You're not going to die. I've gone to school in -32C (because wind chill so it would have felt like like -36/42) as 7-8 year old child, the snow was at my knees.

This morning it was -32. It was so cold. Oh, I live in the middle of backwater woods. The next town is four hours away by foot through 3-4 foot snow walls, the later of which is as tall as I am. I would attempt to walk it, but no one has plowed off the nearest roads yet so I would be stuck with no way of warmth.

I can't believe you walked through that temp as a child. I can't imagine doing that if I was nine. :(

Put a heater under your house (if you can) to thaw the pipes.

Melting snow would work too. Just don't panic, chill out. You have access to internet (and I'm guessing phone) so not much to worry about. :)

I will try just that. I have to fix my heater again first but this will be done. Didn't think about that...so stupid of me. -_-

Yes, access to the phone is still possible. Calling people has be a failure though. Either they are frozen too (cars and water) or can't make it to me because I'm so far away and "my" street haven't been plowed yet.

Ask your neighbor for water?

I don't have neighbors.

I mean I did, but he was 93...and he died two years ago.

@marioo1182

Oh, okay. That makes this a whole lot easier!

@NuroKnight

Too bad he's not really here to help. I'd have him walk to the store for me.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

caution Frozen pipes expand and crack.

BE VERY ALERT for drips and leaks once it thaws. scratch that if you have compromised pipes they'd burst and act like fountains

Edit.... surprised this has gotten to the second page without a bear grylls drinking piss meme yet

Once my dad forgot to run his pipes overnight, and then they froze, and then busted, and then there was an ice skating rink in our driveway and water going all the way down the street!

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M