My Strix 970 caught fire, advice needed.

BigDan1190

Hi all,

Firstly, PC specs;

Asus Z97 Pro

i7 4790k

Asus STRIX 970

Samsung 840 SSD

Seagate HD

Corsair TX750 PSU

Watercooling;

XSPC Raystorm CPU block, EX 140 XRES with D5 pump, 19/13tubing with alphacool fittings, Acool monsta 360 rad and an EK block for the GPU.

So i'm happily using my PC (not even gaming) when it shuts down suddenly. Was only browsing spotify, nothing fancy. I press the button, it doesn't do anything. I take the side panel off, use the button on the mobo and it doesn't do anything. I tested the power supply (used the clip that goes in the 24pin to start the PSU and it works fine.

I plug the 24 pin back in, press the button and voila... PC started turning on. Then it happened.

No more than a second after pressing the button, something on the back of my GPU made that horrible noise and burst into (very small) flames. I turned PSU off at the wall as soon as possible, but obviously damage is done.

There only appears to be damage at the bit where the flame was, it says Q522 under the little chip/block. There is not damage on the other side of the card.

Here is a pic of the back of the damage;

http://i.imgur.com/X5hpfEC.jpg

I can provide pics of the rest of the card if necessary.

I would say its clearly a fault with the card. There are definately no leaks from my watercooling btw, incase someone suggests that. Its been dry since day 1, and I checked again today to confirm. There isn't any tubing passing over this part of the card anyway so definately no droplets. I've not made any changes to the rig since Jan 30th when my block arrived and I installed it.

My problem is, the Asus warranty says "any modification with the card" yada yada yada... so I don't know what to do. Surely they can't void the warranty for changing the cooler?! There was a small round white sticker on one of the GPU cooler screws, so i'm assuming thats how they'd know its been changed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice from the LTT community. Many thanks in advance!

I would be trying to warranty it regardless.

Their industry competitors would let you warranty it, so they should do it as well otherwise (this is where you make some nasty threat about never buying ASUS again, bla bla bla)

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

For most companies, taking off the cooler voids warranty.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

That, my friend, is a voltage stabilizer. Considering this, I'd get a new PSU when you replace your GPU...

Indeed. Although I think one of those blew on my 6570 and my CX430M works great still.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Even though your warranty is void cause you changed the cooler, I'd contact ASUS anyway, and tell them that you did change the cooler but the damage isn't due to that. They won't refund or replace it, but who knows, tell them anyway.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Gotta say, this has to be the most interesting thread I've seen on this fourm! :P Sorry to hear about that man, and unfortunately ASUS's customer service is pretty bad as far as I'm aware. I'd still try to reason with them, and as stated before, make threats about never buying their products again.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

Warranty information

I read through it, and I couldn't find any explicit warranty voidation from stock cooler removal (although I did not read the entire article, just the part(s) that coincide with the issue).

sold

Have you tried applying water?

Lol, wait until your GPU sets on fire and then consider jokes  <_<

Lol, wait until your GPU sets on fire and then consider jokes  <_<

My GPU never caught FIRE. But my laptop has.

I like chocolate milk.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Absolutely amazing service from Scan Computers here in the UK.

Filled out RMA form on Asus website, it said this product needs to be returned via the retailer. Took it back to Scan today (within driving distance for me) and visited the return desk. He asked what the problem was, I explained how my PC suddenly turned off, then when I turned it back on it made a horrible noise and shut off again. He filled out an exchange form, I got my replacement! He didn't even expect the product, just a no quibble exchange.

Now theres service. Not like Apple stores where they make you feel under trial when your iPhone breaks.

UPDATE:

Filled out RMA form on Asus website, it said this product needs to be returned via the retailer. Took it back to Scan today (within driving distance for me) and visited the return desk. He asked what the problem was, I explained how my PC suddenly turned off, then when I turned it back on it made a horrible noise and shut off again. He filled out an exchange form, I got my replacement! He didn't even expect the product, just a no quibble exchange.

Now theres service. Not like Apple stores where they make you feel under trial when your iPhone breaks.

Glad you got it sorted, I was about to link you to an OCUK thread by a staff member there who basically said retailers never have issues when stock coolers are removed, so that's one great benefit of RMA through them :)

UPDATE:

that's great! excellent customer service..

unfornately the standard of service isn't consistent globally. personally i had my worst RMA process with Asus in my country (Singapore).

UPDATE:

Technically the guy at Scan isn't doing his job. But, congrats on getting a new card and getting your system running again!

Hi all,

Firstly, PC specs;

Asus Z97 Pro

i7 4790k

Asus STRIX 970

Samsung 840 SSD

Seagate HD

Corsair TX750 PSU

Watercooling;

XSPC Raystorm CPU block, EX 140 XRES with D5 pump, 19/13tubing with alphacool fittings, Acool monsta 360 rad and an EK block for the GPU.

So i'm happily using my PC (not even gaming) when it shuts down suddenly. Was only browsing spotify, nothing fancy. I press the button, it doesn't do anything. I take the side panel off, use the button on the mobo and it doesn't do anything. I tested the power supply (used the clip that goes in the 24pin to start the PSU and it works fine.

I plug the 24 pin back in, press the button and voila... PC started turning on. Then it happened.

No more than a second after pressing the button, something on the back of my GPU made that horrible noise and burst into (very small) flames. I turned PSU off at the wall as soon as possible, but obviously damage is done.

There only appears to be damage at the bit where the flame was, it says Q522 under the little chip/block. There is not damage on the other side of the card.

I would say its clearly a fault with the card. There are definately no leaks from my watercooling btw, incase someone suggests that. Its been dry since day 1, and I checked again today to confirm. There isn't any tubing passing over this part of the card anyway so definately no droplets. I've not made any changes to the rig since Jan 30th when my block arrived and I installed it.

My problem is, the Asus warranty says "any modification with the card" yada yada yada... so I don't know what to do. Surely they can't void the warranty for changing the cooler?! There was a small round white sticker on one of the GPU cooler screws, so i'm assuming thats how they'd know its been changed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice from the LTT community. Many thanks in advance!

PICS PLS

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

UPDATE:

He just doesn't want to stir the shyt up while there's many stocks left to clear.

Hi all,

Firstly, PC specs;

Asus Z97 Pro

i7 4790k

Asus STRIX 970

Samsung 840 SSD

Seagate HD

Corsair TX750 PSU

Watercooling;

You know sir, I'm going to share the hell out of this. If Asus doesn't help you, contact the VP of GeForce. He helped me just yesterday and is great. If you decide to contact him, I can message you his email (it doesn't need to get spammed by everyone since it would be public). Good luck. I hope it all works out great.

You know sir, I'm going to share the hell out of this. If Asus doesn't help you, contact the VP of GeForce. He helped me just yesterday and is great. If you decide to contact him, I can message you his email (it doesn't need to get spammed by everyone since it would be public). Good luck. I hope it all works out great.

Oh wait it got fixed, glad it all worked out for you.

Happened to my friends Galaxy HOF 780, Just warranty it out and they will send you a new one. Its really simple.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

• 1 month later...

Dude, no shitting you, MY Windforce GTX 970 JUST caught fire too.  Horrible noise.  Computer shut off tried to reboot itself, shut off again.  The smell is horrendous.  I am so sad :[