[SOLVED] Can hear myself through headphones.

Xamurus

So about 2 weeks ago I purchased a ModMic 4 to go along with my ATH-m50xs, and after installing the modmic with my headphones, I realised that the audio quality of the mic was pretty terrible and soon after figured the reason for this was my motherboards crappy onboard audio. So I then bought an Asus Xonar DGX soundcard and it completely fixed the sound problems and it sounds great now. The only problem now, is that while my microphone is on I can hear myself through my headphones. I looked up this issue and didn't find anything specific for the modmic but the main "fix" was to go into recording devices select the microphone, select the "Listen" tab then uncheck "Listen to this device" and then its seems to fix the problem, but this is not the case for me. I still have the problem and it is really bugging me to have mute my microphone when I'm not speaking on Skype or in-game to not hear myself breathing. 

If anyone has any advice or a way to fix my issue it would be greatly appreciated as this is really bugging me.

EDIT* This was solved by uninstalling the current Asus drivers and installing and older version of the drivers.

-snip-

Are you like 100% sure it's not echo from someone else in your Skype call or something?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are you like 100% sure it's not echo from someone else in your Skype call or something?

100% sure, it also occurs when I'm just using my computer with my microphone on.

I had this issue a few years back, turned out to be a driver issue, uninstall all drivers in device manager that relate to audio (onboard, 3rd party device) restart the pc and then download all the new driver versions. This worked for me (Asus MOBO / TurtleBeach X12 Headset)

Good Luck.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

In the Windows Sound Mixer there is a option for listening to yourself... That's the only way it will be doing this.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Also check this.

Go to: Sound>Playback>(Select speakers/headphones)>Properties>Levels

If you see a mic volume in there click on the sound button to mute it.  I used this method to get rid of the sound I was hearing from my mic on my headset.

Make sure this is unchecked:

g24zF.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There is a sidetone/listen to yourself option, turn it off :D

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Make sure this is unchecked:

g24zF.png

Like I said in my original post it is unchecked and I can still hear myself.

Like I said in my original post it is unchecked and I can still hear myself.

Do you have the drivers installed for your sound card is there an option there for it?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Do you have the drivers installed for your sound card is there an option there for it?

Yes I do have the drivers installed, when installing them there was no option for listening to yourself, and the program that Asus gives you "Asus Xonar DGX Audio Center" has no option that I can find atleast,

Yes I do have the drivers installed, when installing them there was no option for listening to yourself, and the program that Asus gives you "Asus Xonar DGX Audio Center" has no option that I can find atleast,

yE96CaW.png

yE96CaW.png

I followed your easy to understand steps up until step 6 where under the "Levels" tab I only have a slider for "Volume Control".

I followed your easy to understand steps up until step 6 where under the "Levels" tab I only have a slider for "Volume Control".

You should find same in soundcard audio settings. I have it with Creatives software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You should find same in soundcard audio settings. I have it with Creatives software.

I can't find it anywhere in my soundcard's audio software.

I actualy liked it when I had my turtal beach headphones as they had monitor funtionality. Like how performers have those speakers on the floor pointing at them. I perfer it to hearing my voise leak into the headset as I will talk louder so my voice sounds right to me. Didn't realize you could implement it via software although it make sense that you can :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

So about 2 weeks ago I purchased a ModMic 4 to go along with my ATH-m50xs, and after installing the modmic with my headphones, I realised that the audio quality of the mic was pretty terrible and soon after figured the reason for this was my motherboards crappy onboard audio. So I then bought an Asus Xonar DGX soundcard and it completely fixed the sound problems and it sounds great now. The only problem now, is that while my microphone is on I can hear myself through my headphones. I looked up this issue and didn't find anything specific for the modmic but the main "fix" was to go into recording devices select the microphone, select the "Listen" tab then uncheck "Listen to this device" and then its seems to fix the problem, but this is not the case for me. I still have the problem and it is really bugging me to have mute my microphone when I'm not speaking on Skype or in-game to not hear myself breathing.

If anyone has any advice or a way to fix my issue it would be greatly appreciated as this is really bugging me.

ya that happened to me to I just reinstalled mr drivers and was fine

Cpu: i7 4790k Mobo: Asus z97-A  PSU:Ultra Semi-Modular 850w SSD: Kingston 240gb HDD: Segate 1tb Ram: 2x8gb G.Skill ram GPU: Zotaz GTX 980 AMP! Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed