Bethesda hits Fortress Fallout maker with legal name-change demand

D00ms0ldier

*sigh*, and I was saving my Torch and Pitchfork for AMD incase they f*** up the R9 3xx series and Zen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't know why it was moved to "PC Gaming", but if you googled "bethesda fortress linustechtips.com", you will see some of the result showing the post was still in the tech news section...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/312042-bethesda-hits-fortress-fallout-maker-with-legal-name-change-demand/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-legal-team-pressures-fortress-fallout-dev/1100-6425334/

Bethesda legal team pressure Fortress Fallout game dev, Xreal, to change the name of the game.  Pathetic.  Oh the video game world these days ... Ubi****, Nvidia, Bethesda .... who else is next?

Man your attitude is really salty, Calm down man!

Never really knew why Bethesda was really popular anyways, all I've heard was how bad their games worked in terms of bugs and the like

Never really knew why Bethesda was really popular anyways, all I've heard was how bad their games worked in terms of bugs and the like

1 word, Skyrim.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Don't they basically have to pressure them to change the name?

This is probalby the same kind of situation they were in when they were forced to sue Mojang because of Scrolls.

It's because, if they don't, they will have problems defending their intellectual property against less nice people.

They issue lies with IP legislation. They just have to react to it.

Don't they basically have to pressure them to change the name?

This is probalby the same kind of situation they were in when they were forced to sue Mojang because of Scrolls.

It's because, if they don't, they will have problems defending their intellectual property against less nice people.

They issue lies with IP legislation. They just have to react to it.

yeah its part of the copyright law.  

i dont get what the issue is its not like the saga crap. i can see how people could be confused by the name.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Their games are awesome.

Wolfenstein the New Order.

Elder Scrolls

Fallout

Dishonored <- damn I loved this game

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's not the first time they have sued for using a single word that they happened to use in one of their past game titles/series either. 

One that comes to mind is when they took mojang to court over their game Scrolls.

http://kotaku.com/5844247/the-elder-scrolls-vs-mojang-scrolls-battle-goes-to-court

http://kotaku.com/5892179/bethesda-settles-lawsuit-with-mojang-whose-next-game-can-be-called-scrolls

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

At least they are warning them than right away sueing them.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

yeah its part of the copyright law.

i dont get what the issue is its not like the saga crap. i can see how people could be confused by the name.

I can't. They're not even remotely similar. At all. Both in title and the games themselves. Fallout isn't an invented term.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

They have to defend their trademark. If they let Mojang use Scrolls, and this guy use Fallout, a big company like Ubisoft that can afford good lawyers can point those games out to the court and get away with naming a game "The Fallout Scrolls: Rimsky" or something lol

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

"fallout" isn't, or shouldn't be a trademark. Bethesda didn't invent the term. Pokémon can be a trademark. Squirtle can be a trademark. Core 2 duo can be a trademark. The word "saga" isn't a trademark. No more than "elder" is a trademark. "elder scrolls" yes. "Linus Tech tips" yes, "linus" "tech" "tips" no.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

They've done this before with the game "scroll", about half a year before TES:V came out, citing consumer confusion...

Pathetic.  Oh the video game world these days ... Ubi****, Nvidia, Bethesda .... who else is next?

Idk, almost every company ever? I wish you and everyone else would stop this childish name drop for every company who's made some bad decisions whenever stuff like this comes up. It's dumb. Stop.

They have to defend their trademark. If they let Mojang use Scrolls, and this guy use Fallout, a big company like Ubisoft that can afford good lawyers can point those games out to the court and get away with naming a game "The Fallout Scrolls: Rimsky" or something lol

I doubt that would happen at all if Beth would let the studio have their name without shit flinging - it shouldn't even be up to them anyways. The name is fine, people wont get confused.

If anything, shows how low Bethesda/Zenimax thinks of their customers.

OP doesn't understand that companies have a legal obligation to at least SHOW that they are trying to defend their trademarks and IP, otherwise the courts will actually strip them of their rightful property and make it worthless. 

OP getting angry over not understanding patent and trade law. Is it shitty to go after companies like this? Yes. Do they have to? Yes. If they don't at least pretend to defend their trades then they lose them; blame the way the system is setup before you blame the companies for playing by the rules of the jungle. 

I hope they're stripped of it. "Fallout" shouldn't be a trademark-able word.

Apparently the capitalization of "F" makes all the difference.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

It's not like you're probably thinking. It's only valid in the video game sector for naming schemes.

Repost, and its not Bethesda, its their parent company Zenimax who are pursuing them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Repost, and its not Bethesda, its their parent company Zenimax who are pursuing them.

Bethesda = Zenimax.

ZeniMax Media was Co-founded in May 1999 by Bethesda Softworks founder Christopher Weaver and DC lawyer Robert A. Altman.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Bethesda = Zenimax.

Nope, Zenimax own Bethesda but they're two separate entities otherwise why would both exist.

Zenimax actually own Beth, ID Software and Arkane Studios and exist as a developer themselves.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Nope, Zenimax own Bethesda but they're two separate entities otherwise why would both exist.

Zenimax actually own Beth, ID Software and Arkane Studios and exist as a developer themselves.

Zenimax is co-founded by founder of Bethesda...

Of course Bethesda is owned by it; that's why Zenimax exists.  It was created after Bethesda.

Weaver's vision was to use Bethesda Softworks as a hybrid-media company which would create cross-media properties for a diverse range of different platforms

And that is why Zenimax exists.

Therefore Bethesda = Zenimax.

Considering that Fallout is acquired by Bethesda(Softworks)...it's Bethesda(Softworks, which is just publisher now).