LG Prepares To Battle The Apple Watch With Its First All-Metal Smartwatch

LG just announced their first all metal smartwatch through a press statement, called the "Watch Urbane".

urbane.jpg?w=680&h=408

As the title suggested, this watch is made of metal,. In fact it looks like a G Watch R with a metal casing. It has a similar specs as the G Watch R,  Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chip, 1.3-inch, circular plastic OLED screen, powered by  Android Wear,and etc. But it comes in two colors,  polished silver and gold finish,  and it is complemented by a beautifully stitched natural leather strap for a more classic look (as LG said in their press statement). Also the strap can be replaced by any 22mm wide band.

“The LG Watch Urbane’s classic design and smart features make it the perfect smartwatch to complement our G Watch and G Watch R, which were designed as more casual and active devices,” said Juno Cho, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “LG Watch Urbane is an important part of our strategy to develop wearable devices that are worn and viewed as everyday accessories, not electronic gadgets.”

lgwatchurbanelifestyle045b20150216113050

LG Watch Urbane's Specifications from the press statement:

Chipset: 1.2GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 400
 Operating System: Android Wear™
 Display: 1.3-inch P-OLED Display (320 x 320, 245ppi)
 Size: 45.5 x 52.2 x 10.9mm
 Memory: 4GB eMMC/ 512MB LPDDR2
 Battery: 410mAh
 Sensors: 9-Axis (Gyro / Accelerometer / Compass) / Barometer /
    PPG (Heart Rate Sensor)
Colors: Gold / Silver
 Other: Dust and Water Resistant (IP67)

LG will show off this Watch Urbane at Mobile World Congress, and no info on pricing and availability was announced in the press statement.

IMO, it looks better than the Apple Watch, but it's not my cup of tea. I hope LG would make a metal version of the G Watch R, as I like G Watch R's design  more than that of the Moto 360(and this watch).

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/contents/64948

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/15/lg-watch-urbane/

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/40051/20150216/lg-s-metal-watch-urbane-non-geek-audience-high-fashion.htm

Cool but I would like a metal band

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Damn those look great. Is there an estimated battery life? i'm bad at guessing from specs. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Quite like the looks of this!!!! hmm I hope its good

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thats nice LG, but till you make watches that are platform agnostic, I can't care. I like it, I think its neat, but I'm not ditching my PHONE just to have it. Thats a lot of hassle. 

So really, consumers are getting slightly screwed in all this. Most won't change phones, they buy what they like. But they are losing the smart watch choices by picking one platform over another. It sucks since I'd like to have a LG watch, but without the promise of even having basic text notifications (something even my Fitbit can do), its pointless for me to make that purchase. 

Man this thing is gonna be so cold on the arm it's gonna melt me.

WHY NOT FULL LEATHER BODY?! SO ATLEAST, U WONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH COLD.

Or am I mistaking and the metal won't touch my skin? Cuz it will.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Mmm,that does look nice

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

A company that has been putting out Android smartwatches for a while now is releasing a new one - surely it's to compete with the Apple device that has no release date yet and will only work with iOS devices.

I don't know if it's journalists shilling Apple like the obnoxious whores that they are or just mentioning Apple because more people will click the article if they do, but I hate it either way.

Thats nice LG, but till you make watches that are platform agnostic, I can't care. I like it, I think its neat, but I'm not ditching my PHONE just to have it. Thats a lot of hassle. 

So really, consumers are getting slightly screwed in all this. Most won't change phones, they buy what they like. But they are losing the smart watch choices by picking one platform over another. It sucks since I'd like to have a LG watch, but without the promise of even having basic text notifications (something even my Fitbit can do), its pointless for me to make that purchase. 

Yeah, though the only companies that are making platform agnostic smart watches on a large scale are fitbit and Pebble from what I can recall. Apple's watch is for their devices only, all of the Android Wear stuff is only compatible with Android and Samsung's watches are Samsung-only. There is at the least more choice on the Android side, what with LG, Motorola, Samsung and others, while Apple have themselves exclusively as of now (and they're definitely not going to let other companies use the Watch OS.) However, the smartwatch market needs to become less proprietary. Nice pieces of hardware should be able to pair up regardless of the OS and the company's agenda.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Nice pieces of hardware should be able to pair up regardless of the OS and the company's agenda.

Sadly Google seems to be locking down Android Wear quite a lot so it's not like LG could even add support for iOS by themselves. Rumors has it that they will add support for iOS in the near future but nothing has been confirmed yet.

how is the metal going to get cold? Unless you're in the arctic this will be fine. And if you're in the arctic you got colder things to worry about

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Why was Apple even mentioned in the article, I'll never know...

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

The apple watch kind of battles itself with that pitiful battery life... how long will THIS one last is the true question? I will still be too expensive for me though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

...metal watches don't get you cold... theoretically they would act a bit like heatsinks but it's really negligible, you wouldn't even notice... in fact it may actually produce some heat since there's a cpu in there.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I not interested in a smart watch until It is standalone.  If I can enter memos and calendar events,  txt and phone from the watch without a phone then I'm in.  Until then the watch seems more like extra hardware that does little. .

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.