Virgin Media UK ISP says it will invest £3 billion to upgrade network starting this year.

virgin_media_logo_2014_520x300x24_fill_h

Virgin Media has announced it is to spend £3 billion improving fibre network that will create 600 jobs in the process. The improvements will begin this year and be completed by the year 2020. This is the single biggest investment in broadband infrastructure in the UK for more than a decade. It is going to bring connectivity to 17 million homes and businesses in towns and cities where full and high speed cable coverage is lacking. Project Lightning will change lives and transform communities – giving people better access to education, health care, financial systems and employment – it will also have a huge positive impact on the UK as whole. 

Virgin Media says its £3 billion broadband investment will be worth £8 billion in terms of stimulating the UK economy, and will create 6,000 new jobs of which 1,000 will be apprenticeships. This project is an important step in making the UK an even more competitive country. When it comes to making the most of our increasingly connected lives, speed and capacity matters. 

Prime Minister David Cameron has welcomed the investment from Virgin Media and said: "It is a vote of confidence in our long-term economic plan to support business and create jobs by building a superfast nation backed by world-class infrastructure."

it will will increase the network’s reach from 13 million to 17 million homes and businesses by the year 2020. Virgin Media will also be able to offer speeds of up to 152Mb to more customers. or the first time from broadband speeds at least twice as fast as those available from the other major providers. Consumers and business owners who want to make the switch to better broadband speeds now have an alternative

sources: 

Virgin Blog: http://goo.gl/mycA7K

They can start by stop ripping their current customers off, fair enough more customers are going to have a fiber connection and more jobs created. However, Virgin Media have no care whatsoever towards their current customers, all they are interested in is getting as many new customers in with fair prices then stabbing them in the back 2 years later. 

Just an ISP that only cares about getting as much money out of you as they can IMO (we pay £50 for 20mb, they want an extra £20 a month to upgrade to 60. A new customer can get 152mb, TV and Phone for about the same cost or less). 

Really don't like Virgin, as you can probably tell. But i guess this is good for people that aren't currently with Virgin and can't currently get fiber. 

They can start by stop ripping their current customers off, fair enough more customers are going to have a fiber connection and more jobs created. However, Virgin Media have no care whatsoever towards their current customers, all they are interested in is getting as many new customers in with fair prices then stabbing them in the back 2 years later. 

If only that were true. We were periodically contacting them for years to see if they were considering rolling fibre out. They actually haven't done an awful lot of investment beyond increasing bandwidth for existing customers for a long time. It took my local council to basically make BT do it (with lots of tax money yay...) before anything changed.

Just an ISP that only cares about getting as much money out of you as they can IMO (we pay £50 for 20mb, they want an extra £20 a month to upgrade to 60. A new customer can get 152mb, TV and Phone for about the same cost or less). 

Really don't like Virgin, as you can probably tell. But i guess this is good for people that aren't currently with Virgin and can't currently get fiber. 

Virgin media is better than other ISP's in the UK in my opinion

Virgin media is better than other ISP's in the UK in my opinion

Well they don't have to live up to much to achieve that do they, but yes out of the ones in the UK they might just be. 

I hope they put some of that money in to upgrading existing fiber connections as well. I live in Liverpool, because they have that many people trying to use the fiber, at certain times speeds are just prehistoric or none existent.