South Carolina punishes hundreds of inmates for using Facebook

The South Carolina prison system disciplines prisoners accessing Facebook with the same severity it would for murder, rape, rioting, escape and hostage-taking, according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

South Carolina's Department of Corrections punished nearly 400 inmates of using social media over the last three years, with some of the cases resulting in lengthy solitary confinement.

The statistics, collected by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and released on Thursday, highlight the state prison system's strict social media policy and Facebook's involvement with the removal of inmate profiles. EFF, an Internet civil rights advocate group, learned of the information through a Freedom of Information Act request.

"Facebook really shouldn't be acting as a government censor,"

said Dave Maas, media relations coordinator and investigative researcher at EFF.

"There's lots of legitimate reasons why a prisoner should want to contact the outside world, whether that's bringing attention to prison conditions or information about his case, or communicating with his own family."

Facebook did not reply to a request for comment.

The South Carolina prison system has asked Facebook to remove hundreds of inmate accounts. The world's largest social network obliged, using its terms of services agreement as its rationale, according to EFF. That services agreement states users can't use an alias or share passwords with third parties. Prison systems can ask Facebook to remove inmates' accounts using its "Inmate Account Takedown Request." The EFF is calling for more transparency when it comes to these requests.

The use of social media is a serious violation for inmates in South Carolina. The policy to stem communication from the outside world is meant to stop inmates from conducting criminal activities from the inside.

The prison system characterizes social media use as the same level of crimes like murder, rape, rioting, escape and hostage-taking, according to the Maas. In 16 cases, inmates faced more than a decade in disciplinary detention, a punishment that includes solitary confinement and the loss of visitation privileges. One inmate received more than 37 years in isolation, according to the EFF.

facebook-offices-8431.jpg

Source : http://www.cnet.com/news/south-carolina-sentences-hundreds-of-inmates-for-using-facebook/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Jesus Christ, let prisoners use Facebook and other social media when there at something like the prison library pc, one day prisoners are going to come out of prison, its helps us as much them for them to have some form of idea of society outside prison. eg remember the seen in shawshank redemption where he hangs himself because the worlds changed.

also if prison have access to facebook it gives you a reasonable punishment for minor offence's. eg 2 days ban from it etc

Sounds good to me.

Your in prison, you have very little rights. You break the rules, you get punished. 

Now, why the stupid prison doesn't implement a simple firewall to prevent access to facebook is beyond me. Most of the prisons I have worked with have zero internet access other than very strict computer lab time, which is usually for learning anyway. They have access to all of a couple websites. 

Inmates should not have any access to the outside world unless closely monitored. Them having that access puts old victims, lawyers, ex gang members, "snitches", police officers in huge amounts of danger. It easily allows for crime lords to continue to run their empire instead of paying time for their crimes. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

While I don't think it should be on the same level as "rape and murder", I strongly feel that inmates should not have access to social media.

If they need to contact the outside world, there are legitimate methods, including ombudsmen for if/when the inmates rights are being violated in some manner.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sounds good to me.

Your in prison, you have very little rights. You break the rules, you get punished. 

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it actually takes to rehabilitate someone and bring them back into the fold of society as a functional members. Prisons and expressly focus on punishing the inmates are the ones producing the worst repeat offenders. 

But hey, thats non of my business. 

Prisons are supposed to rehabilitate. 

Right. 

I don't think the prisons got that memo. Solitary for using social media? NOICE! 

In America they believe prisons are for punishment not rehabilitation. It's just a cultural difference where they still believe in the primitive ways of punishment even though it does not reduce crime.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it actually takes to rehabilitate someone and bring them back into the fold of society as a functional members. Prisons and expressly focus on punishing the inmates are the ones producing the worst repeat offenders. 

So, you are fine with the gang member you reported organizing a hit on your and your family through facebook messages? Okay. 

Certainly, the prison system could use a huge overhaul. There's no denying that. Even in Canada, it could use large improvement.

There should be significantly more emphasis on education while in prison, with the end result reintegration into society with the ability to find work (even if its shitty work like garbage pickup).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So, you are fine with the gang member you reported organizing a hit on your and your family through facebook messages? Okay. 

Once again, missing the point entirely. 

Prisons are supposed to target the flaws in the criminals, eradicate the flaws, and rehabilitate those people back into normal people. Everyone makes mistakes. Criminals are just the ones who get caught.

Whats better? Hammering in the nail so hard it gets stuck in sideways or taking your time, gently taping away so its a clean part of the assembly? 

I'm speaking from a sociological and psychological position, something people happily dismiss because "criminals are criminals, they get no rights, fuck them they are people" mentality is so strong, especially in America where the flavour of the society is to condemn these people and treat them like savages, in prison systems that encourage the savagery. 

Certainly, the prison system could use a huge overhaul. There's no denying that. Even in Canada, it could use large improvement.

There should be significantly more emphasis on education while in prison, with the end result reintegration into society with the ability to find work (even if its shitty work like garbage pickup).

The prisons I work with are the "once you serve most of your time and behave you go here" prisons. They provide learning and job skills and job search opportunities. Specifically, I work with those learning to work on cars and become technicians. 

Its a great thing, and much much more money needs to go into these places. 

Exactly, the systems need substantial overhaul. How many prisoners are repeat offenders? How many keep going back? What a strain that puts on the system? Why aren't we instead focussing on post-release programs to help these people get back into society in a productive way? 

Barring the sociopaths, people feel guilt. They want to move on. Prisons as they are now in North America don't encourage that. They do the opposite. And society is happy to adopt this "fuck prisoners, they don't have rights" mentality. 

Once again, missing the point entirely. 

Prisons are supposed to target the flaws in the criminals, eradicate the flaws, and rehabilitate those people back into normal people. Everyone makes mistakes. Criminals are just the ones who get caught.

Whats better? Hammering in the nail so hard it gets stuck in sideways or taking your time, gently taping away so its a clean part of the assembly? 

I'm speaking from a sociological and psychological position, something people happily dismiss because "criminals are criminals, they get no rights, fuck them they are people" mentality is so strong, especially in America where the flavour of the society is to condemn these people and treat them like savages, in prison systems that encourage the savagery. 

You and I obviously have completely different views on how you correct people, weather they be Murderers, or your child hitting his sister. So, I respect your view as one you have obviously thought about and are passionate about. However, my fundamental way of thinking will need to be changed over the course of the rest of my life to think otherwise. So, I'm not going to argue with you on this.  :)

Exactly, the systems need substantial overhaul. How many prisoners are repeat offenders? How many keep going back? What a strain that puts on the system? Why aren't we instead focussing on post-release programs to help these people get back into society in a productive way? 

Barring the sociopaths, people feel guilt. They want to move on. Prisons as they are now in North America don't encourage that. They do the opposite. And society is happy to adopt this "fuck prisoners, they don't have rights" mentality. 

Indeed, instead we have the "tough on crime" mentality of the Harper government that makes it even harder for a former criminal to get a legitimate job.

Hell, tons of prisoners (repeat offenders) actually commit crimes so they can go back to jail simply because they can't find work, and it's free hot food and lodging.

Indeed, instead we have the "tough on crime" mentality of the Harper government that makes it even harder for a former criminal to get a legitimate job.

Hell, tons of prisoners (repeat offenders) actually commit crimes so they can go back to jail simply because they can't find work, and it's free hot food and lodging.

Thats the ironic part. Inmates have better lives than people who live in retirement homes. Hell, if I'm a 70 year old and don't want to be a burden to my family, I'm going to shank someone and spend a decade inside. You're old, won't be bothered, constant supervision incase things go wrong and a pretty good diet. Whats not to love? 

we have such a bad way of handling things, its almost embarrassing for a country as civilized as ours to not do better. 

Lot of people speaking for other people's cultures here. Just remember we think your culture is just as stupid as you think ours is. That being said the penalty needs to be reduced. More to something like contraband, not murder. Also how are they failing at blocking Facebook access in the first place...

See this is where it gets hard because a prisoner in for a couple of years on a minor charge where no one really got hurt probably deserves to have social media, but then what about a gang member who wants to get payback on a witness or prosecutor? That's endangering other people.

It's safer to not allow social media but at the same time I believe they should have access to (monitored) internet in a library - everyone here that goes to school/uni/college can vouch for the benefits of the internet in terms of education. I guess it should be a privilege type of thing.

EDIT: In regards to the different cultures present - keep in mind there are different types of crimes that are more present in different cultures. In Australia there is inherent racism (I'm sure the same goes for the US) and a higher incarceration rate for Indigenous Australians and while I don't agree with how either prison system works, those from Europe don't deal with all the same issues.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

See this is where it gets hard because a prisoner in for a couple of years on a minor charge where no one really got hurt probably deserves to have social media, but then what about a gang member who wants to get payback on a witness or prosecutor? That's endangering other people.

It's safer to not allow social media but at the same time I believe they should have access to (monitored) internet in a library - everyone here that goes to school/uni/college can vouch for the benefits of the internet in terms of education. I guess it should be a privilege type of thing.

EDIT: In regards to the different cultures present - keep in mind there are different types of crimes that are more present in different cultures. In Australia there is inherent racism (I'm sure the same goes for the US) and a higher incarceration rate for Indigenous Australians and while I don't agree with how either prison system works, those from Europe don't deal with all the same issues.

it would be quite easy to make basic categories for social media access, eg your in there for drunk driving etc 

Here people often keep to manage their "affairs" from the cells even if it's forbidden, reading that prisoners had facebook access just blew my mind :D

Prisons are supposed to rehabilitate. 

Right. 

I don't think the prisons got that memo. Solitary for using social media? NOICE! 

What? Not in the US they aren't. All about punishment there. 

On the other hand look at prisons in Scandinavia...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

it would be quite easy to make basic categories for social media access, eg your in there for drunk driving etc 

Harder than you may think. Let's say prisoner X (min-sec) had access to social media and prisoner Y (max-sec) doesn't. Prisoner Y could offer protection or blackmail prisoner X in exchange for indirect access to social media. There's always a way around which is why I suspect (along with funding) nothing has been implemented. 

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

However, do you think there shouldn't be black marks? Do you think people would accept this sort of system? 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Prison system failing to see the point of imprisonment once again: REHABILITATION.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Not only would it would be quite easy to make categories, they can probably and probably do monitor the activities on the online activities on the inmates so it should be easy for them to spot any transgression made by the inmate regarding the access to social medias

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Holy fucking shit what a terrible argument. 

10e71fd6edca008ff7ab182e9c428ea756412398