What do you guys think about next-gen gaming?

DimasRMDO

Heh at this point I hope that games stop looking so good.... I'm a cheapskate and don't want to upgrade.   

Generation of compromise. People were expecting better visuals and better performance, but nearly every game so far has had to decide between one or the other.

For console user, they just relax. But what about PC users? What do you think about it? Is it great or just a problem because of the graphic (need great specs)?

Nothing changed with next gen gaming except ram requirements went up. Also you do not need great specs to lock a game at 30 FPS like a "next gen console" with Nvidia adaptive half vsync, or radeon pro half vsync, MSI Afterburner Riva 30 FPS cap. As far as these titles running at 60 FPS or above? The new low level API's will help there.

Now as far as the newer tech on PC's?

I am loving that the GPU makers finally bothered to include downsampling in their drivers. This is something we have done for a long time on DX 9 games with Gedosato. DX 11 games at 1440p, 3 k look freakin great at 1080p on my R9 290. 

As far as "next gen" specs we surpassed them in CPU power with Nehalem by quite a bit in 2010 and that CPU will be way ahead of a console in DX 12, Mantle, next OpenGL 2011 Sandy Bridges are still powerful enough to not need a low level API to perform great in most next gen ports. GPU power? Mid grade 2010 GPU's are better than either console as far as pure power. VRAM can be a problem though. Like I said ram was the only real requirement that went up on "next gen".

Next gen for us simply means you want 8 gigs of system ram and 2.5 gigs of VRAM  (which means 3) going forward. 2 gigs of VRAM is fine if the port is not garbage, but 3 and you don't have to worry about "bad ports". R9 280's have been dirt cheap. Pc Gaming has never been more affordable to be honest and I3's and 6300 FX's should do pretty darn well on a low level API, and so should older cpu architecture with HT and more than 2 cores.

"Bad ports" should also go away with a low level API on PC, and CPU optimization is the real problem on all these games. They are threaded for one core often (Far Cry 4, Dying Light would be examples). Like I said though, nothing is preventing you from running 30 FPS like the consoles and pushing higher graphics with even a budget GPU.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't worry, I just upgrade when i can't crank everything to max.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

For console user, they just relax. But what about PC users? What do you think about it? Is it great or just a problem because of the graphic (need great specs)?

i hope consoles die

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm actually a little angry about being lied to yet again by a broken promise of 60fps gaming, they delivered it with Last of us remastered and I loved it, but pretty much none of the other games have and probably wont. In the end I sold my ps4 saved up some money and bought a gaming rig with i7 and 970 and one of the reasons was that I wanted to play most of the games from last gen that I didn't play at silky smooth 60fps at 1080 or 1440p and I don't regret it one bit. Old gen games superscaled at 1400p look better than games at current gen consoles (ps4). I don't regret it but PC is an investment, but so is the consoles in the long run. I just wish I could have more time to play on my pc, but when I get back from work I still have things to do like some intensive workout (i sit pretty much all day in from of the screen so I go mad when I get back) and before I know it i'm too tired to play :( .

next gen isn't a thing.. lol if were playing the games now its current gen! next gen for pc would be games that only run on "core i9's 128gb ddr6 gtx11,800s" ect... there will never be a complete next gen for pc as things run on so varied systems and companies are too scared to bring out a game only aimed at people with $5000 pcs because the market is so small.. think of it like this, movies like avatar were made on pc's they ran on pc's so thats the graphics pc's are capable of running, buuuuuuuut none of us have epically large servers with 1000 zeon processors and about 15 quaddros to play with! 

We will always be at the same level as consoles, just with things that look a little more polished.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Tbh, i think the real next gen will be when 4k is standard, or at least 2k. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

This is LTT, this thread will be a war.

Selling pitchforks and torches right here

I'll get OVER NINE THOUSAND

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

What's your definition of next-gen? Seriously, I have no idea because it's not a term I've ever really focused on.

Next gen hasn't started yet. Yes the consoles are out, but the gameplay has not changed. When new and innovative games start to emerge, then I will consider next gen to be a thing. It may never happen, which will be a shame.

As for PC, I think we are at a weird in-between gens spot right now. New and powerful tech is on the horizon, and current tech is just buying time for the new tech.

As for PC, I think we are at a weird in-between gens spot right now. New and powerful tech is on the horizon, and current tech is just buying time for the new tech.

isn't that where we always are for the Last 20 years?

Next gen is SOOOO last gen!   ;)

Wake me up when next next gen arrives. 

In my eyes theres no next gen on pc, reason = Shitty cross platform console ports that run shit on 5x better pc's cause of lazy devs!

Let's agree to disagree

I've got a relatively expensive GPU with no good games that take advantage of it. Despite the PC's technical superiority, it doesn't have the exciting 'AAA' software that the consoles do. Where is our version of a 'Halo', 'Forza Motorsport/Grand Turismo', 'The Last of Us', etc? The platform doesn't have shit. The only game that comes to my mind that I think fully represents what 'next-gen' PC gaming is all about is Star Citizen. However, it has yet to have to a real release date and it is only ONE game. Where are the others like it?

In my eyes theres no next gen on pc, reason = Shitty cross platform console ports that run shit on 5x better pc's cause of lazy devs!

I'm inclined to agree with this. Because it's another part of the problem.

In PC there's no "next-gen", every day is "current-gen", if that is even a thing.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

In PC there's no "next-gen", every day is "current-gen", if that is even a thing.

In console world they keep calling it next gen even after it has been on the market for years. Happened with the xbox 360 and ps3, and now it's happening all over again. :mellow:

In console world they keep calling it next gen even after it has been on the market for years. Happened with the xbox 360 and ps3, and now it's happening all over again. :mellow:

Console gamers are mostly misinformed, they will keep calling "next-gen" to the next console even though is "new" hardware only, not games.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.