Is it ok to put hardware on an anti-static bag

hiimbogo
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

In the interest of setting the record straight, I just tested an anti-static bag with a multimeter, the solid metallic-silvery type. The electrical resistance is infinite as far as I can tell. It hit max reading on my multimeter (which can measure up to 2 million ohms).

I would say building a computer on it is quite safe. It won't be conducting anything.

So in Linus' tech quikie on handling hardware, he said to not put stuff on an anti-static bag because the outside of the bag is conductive. I thought this to be true until this video ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTGar7aoLDs, came to my attention. So, is it ok to put computer hardware on an anti-static bag or not?

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

Either way, there are no advantages to doing so, so why put hardware on an antistatic bag when you can just, well, put it on the table, or something.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I flip mine inside out

>problem solved

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

Either way, there are no advantages to doing so, so why put hardware on an antistatic bag when you can just, well, put it on the table, or something.

Well, the wires on the back of the motherboard can easily scratch a table. 

I prefer to put it on a cardboard box.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No, don't

Anti-static bags are non conductive in the inside, but the outside is a different story.

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

I flip mine inside out

>problem solved

I have seen people do this.

I remember someone mentioning that flipping it inside out gets rid of the problem because it is conductive on the outside but not the inside

I have seen people do this.

I remember someone mentioning that flipping it inside out gets rid of the problem because it is conductive on the outside but not the inside

cause it's true lol

I have been doing this since I have been building computers

that and poking your psu to relieve the static built up in your fingers everytime you move from what you are doing...

this is basic stuff friend :P

cause it's true lol

I have been doing this since I have been building computers

that and poking your psu to relieve the static built up in your fingers everytime you move from what you are doing...

this is basic stuff friend :P

I figured that because a few months ago, I didn't know anything about computers or building one and all of the build guides that I watched used those tricks

I figured that because a few months ago, I didn't know anything about computers or building one and all of the build guides that I watched used those tricks

Well its better then wasting money on a antistatic wristband or all the other gimmicky shit...

Well its better then wasting money on a antistatic wristband or all the other gimmicky shit...

*puts on his anti-static wrist band on one hand and a rubber glove on the other.*

I've always done that, never had a problem, but what do i know, maybe

i have been lucky not to break anything yet :wacko:

You shouldn't put hardware on the outside of the bag, as that is the part that is designed to conduct the current. If you turn the bag inside out you should be fine however it is always safer to use an anti static wrist strap.

When I did my first build with a friend who was 22 Nd has been building computers for 7 years I was advised not too because when we were unpackaging everything I was about to set it on it and he stopped me and explained why.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

In the interest of setting the record straight, I just tested an anti-static bag with a multimeter, the solid metallic-silvery type. The electrical resistance is infinite as far as I can tell. It hit max reading on my multimeter (which can measure up to 2 million ohms).

I would say building a computer on it is quite safe. It won't be conducting anything.

It depends on the bag, some of the older bag designs had a conductive outer layer, but with the newer bags the inner and outer layer have a resistance of more than 11Mohms making them, for all intents and purposes, non conductive. This is why people do it and have no adverse consequences (destroyed hardware).  In the newer bags there is a thin aluminium shield that is imbedded in the third layer and this creates a faraday cage which shields against ESD. The outer layers (inside and outside of bag) are both designed to dissipate very large voltages up to 30,000V slowly across the bag, this prevents ES build up during shipping and handling. 

So in short there is no real danger in placing boards on bags, turning the bag inside out is not really essential, Placing the board on a box is really easy to do so why even mess around with the bag.

For the record I install the motherboard into the case before booting it up, that way if it doesn't work there is no way to tell if it was me that broke it or if it was DOA, I send it back with a clean conscious. B)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

For the record, I also punctured the bag to test any sandwiched metal layers, and the resistance was still >2 million ohms.  Since I know some people will point out that the soldering points on the motherboard may pierce the outer layer, and that the inner layer is conductive or something.

Safe or not there really isn't any advantage (it doesn't provide anti-static protection if the parts are outside the bag if anyone was wondering). I mean why not just put it on the motherboard box?

think even linus does't dis charge him self before taking it out but could be wrong certain if seen him not dis charge him self when doing unboxing.

I believe he uses an anti static strap on his ankle so you can't see it on video.