GTX 970 or GTX 980?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

So yeah, it's pretty straightforward isn't it :P.

• Which brand GTX 970/980 do you use?
  • What are your experiences with it (performance)?
  • How are your Coil Whine experiences with it?
  • Is it worth getting the GTX 980 over the GTX 970?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

-I don't own any ^^

-zip

-zip

-it's not worth it to buy a 980 over a 970 imo. There's a 20% performance difference in the BEST case scenario but the price is 80% higher. Simple math -> go for a 970. If you have the extra money to spend, you can go for something like 2 R9 290s: those would perform a LOT better than a single 980 for cheaper. Or you could get fancy and buy an R9 295x2 for the liquid cooled dual gpu card swag.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I personally tell to people to spend the (usually)  same amount of money the spent for their monitor. If you use a 1080p monitor the 970 or r9 290X might be an overkill. The 980 only makes sence for 1440p & 4K monitors. Otherwise, you should also upgrade you monitor. 

If you've got the money buy the best..... Actually that's my advice for most computer hardware.

Right up there with wait. the next big things probably about to come out, and it'll drive down the price of the thing you wanted to buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 390 comes out, if it's a worthy competitor the 980 will be 500 AUD by june. (currently 800)

- gigabyte g1 gtx970

- pretty good performance, refer to the many graphs on the internet

- no coil whine on my unit

- gtx 980 is roughly $350 more than a 970 in aus. I didnt want to spend $800 on a gtx 980.

Thanks in advance!

-MSI

-Brilliant. Fantastic.

-When I reach around 2500FPS in certain games, I get it. Apart from that, I get none.

-Depends. If you want a 1 card config, yes, if you don't mind, 2x 970s isn't too much more and delivers much better performance.

I´d go for a single GTX980. You have the chance to upgrade later to 2way SLI and it is the fastes single GPU on the market, I´ve got three of them and have to say they are one of the best GPUs I´ve ever had. You can cover with this card from 1080p ULTRA to 1440p High/ULTRA settings (not max AA settings) everything. No SLI profiles no special air flow required. The 4GB VRAM are more than enough due to the 2MB L2 cache. I never run out of memory even in 4K.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

-imo unless you have a mobo that doesnt support sli, go for the gtx 980, other wise go for gtx 970s in sli.

-also if you do go for sli w/ 970s the vram issue. isnt. that. big. a deal! 

-i dont have one but if i did i would go with the gtx 980 since my mobo doesnt support sli

-as for brands it comes down to looks.

[black/red] msi twin frozr 

post-135179-0-53768000-1423324963.jpg

[black/blue] gigabyte windforce 

post-135179-0-80698400-1423325063.jpg

hope that helped

post-135179-0-53768000-1423324963.jpg

post-135179-0-80698400-1423325063.jpg

I have 2 stock 970 G1's, and I'm very happy with them. I have yet to get a 2k or 4k monitor though, so I can't really say how they perform when you need higher vram. The windforce card is very quiet, and the temps are good even under load.

Desktop: Intel i7 4790k, Hyper 212 EVO, SLI Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming, 8GB HyperX Fury 1600mhz, Corsair CX850M, Fractal Design R5, Crucial MX100

Laptop: Samsung NP900X4C

Peripherals: HyperX Cloud Gaming, NAD Viso HP50, B&W P5, Logitech G710+, G400s, Z623, Galaxy Note 4 (Fiio E18 DAC), Google Nexus 7 (2013)

What are your experiences with it (performance)?

How are your Coil Whine experiences with it?

Is it worth getting the GTX 980 over the GTX 970?

2x Asus Strix

Performs great at 1080p *waiting for monitor to get here from Korea*

no coil whine

no. unless you just want a single card solution, I just went with a pair of 970s due to smaller size

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

-also if you do go for sli w/ 970s the vram issue. isnt. that. big. a deal!

For some reason 2Gb 770s SLI was a good idea 6 and ahalf months ago, but for some reason once we found out 0.5Gb is slow on a effectively 3.5Gb card people think it's garbage.

Thanks in advance!

970! It's much more cost effective and you can even slap 2 of them in SLI if you need 980 performance. They have the same amount of VRAM. Only get a 980 if you're doing serious 4K/UHD gaming - consider your needs!

980. You shouldn't buy a product that was lied about and condone the unethical business practice of lying directly to the consumers' faces.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

980. You shouldn't buy a product that was lied about and condone the unethical business practice of lying directly to the consumers' faces.

It's actually just 3.5 GB :P

One thing is that you do have a 0.5 GB safezone (yes, the framerate dies but at least the GPU doesn't)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

If you've got the money buy the best..... Actually that's my advice for most computer hardware.

Right up there with wait. the next big things probably about to come out, and it'll drive down the price of the thing you wanted to buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 390 comes out, if it's a worthy competitor the 980 will be 500 AUD by june. (currently 800)

they say the 380 is going to perform like a 980 :D

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

I HAD an Nvidia reference 970 briefly. I bought it literally days before this VRAM thing became known. My experience with it was that it did a solid job at 1080p, but due to the reference cooler either ran a little hot or a little loud under load depending on where I set the fan curve. I could have paid nearly 150 dollars less for the same experience with a r9 290.

After this VRAM shit broke I decided to return it while I still could when I read it was affecting bf4 in some instances even at 1080p. If it was already stuttering at a game that's been out for 2 years at 1080p, whats it going to do at higher resolutions or with future titles.

I exchanged it for credit towards an EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 because my options were limited, unless I raised a big stink with Nvidia and insisted on a full refund(not sure if they would have done that anyway). Havent used the 980 yet so cant tell you how it is.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

by that logic u shouldnt be buying nvidia products at all. Cos they lied about the 970 ur gonna give them more money by buying a 980???

-MSI

-Brilliant. Fantastic.

-When I reach around 2500FPS in certain games, I get it. Apart from that, I get none.

-Depends. If you want a 1 card config, yes, if you don't mind, 2x 970s isn't too much more and delivers much better performance.

The same as this guy,and the coil whine (when it happens at 1k fps or above) it goes away with time

CSGO FOR KNIFE!

Thanks in advance!

Gigabyte GTX 970

Quirky. Fast. But quirky. Runs very cool.

Never heard a damn bit of "coil whine".

Your choice, spend what you can and get what you want. My experience with the 970 has been excellent barring the odd hiccup which was probably just my 790i getting back at me.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Gigabyte GTX 970

Quirky. Fast. But quirky. Runs very cool.

Never heard a damn bit of "coil whine".

Your choice, spend what you can and get what you want. My experience with the 970 has been excellent barring the odd hiccup which was probably just my 790i getting back at me.

The odd hiccup? :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

The odd hiccup? :P

lol yeah, the rest of my hardware is a little cantankerous and likes to screw with me on random days. I had one scare where I thought my 970 had spontaneously died but it turned out to be my 790i (funny how the numbers correspond) having a little fun at my expense.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

If you're at 1080p the 970 is more than enough. And the performance you get for the price is way better than the 980.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|