GTX 660 ti SLI vs TITAN vs 780 (1080p)

Go to solution Solved by Jamdude,

I would go with the 780.  I don't like SLI or Crossfire because of the problems they have and the Titan is too expensive for the performance you get compared to the 780.

Put a poll up for this thread.

I prefer gtx 660 ti (msi power edition) in sli (best price / value). Because I don't need 6gb of memory for 1080p. And the gtx 780 is an other option but i don't know what better...

so

What you recommend me to play at 1080p?

I would go with the 780.  I don't like SLI or Crossfire because of the problems they have and the Titan is too expensive for the performance you get compared to the 780.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Do you already have 1 660Ti PE? I don't think you need a 780 to play at 1080p, 770 makes more sense - or 7950/70.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I think GTX 6XX only able to have 2GB of VRAM (some with 4GB f VRAM but there have been some problems with it I think) and games are starting to use more than 2GB of VRAM so really you do need a GTX 7XX with 3GB of VRAM at least.

The price/performance for the 780 is similar to that of the 660Ti, given it is well over double the performance of it and costs about twice as much.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yes, I'll go for the GTX 780 

Thanks to all !

I personally think SLI is fine.  Minor variances and little hiccups are barely noticeable, and I've been an SLI guy since the 285 gtx series.

SLI scaling is great.

Going into Crossfire or maybe TRI or Quad SLI... yes be concerned with 'problems'.

Games that need SLI like Crysis or Metro seem to scale extremely well w/ two video cards.

760 or 660 ti SLI for 1080p sounds great.

I personally think SLI is fine.  Minor variances and little hiccups are barely noticeable, and I've been an SLI guy since the 285 gtx series.

SLI scaling is great.

Going into Crossfire or maybe TRI or Quad SLI... yes be concerned with 'problems'.

Games that need SLI like Crysis or Metro seem to scale extremely well w/ two video cards.

760 or 660 ti SLI for 1080p sounds great.

I'd still much rather have a single GPU than SLI or Crossfire.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

However, you have an avatar showing a crossfire configuration...

However, you have an avatar showing a crossfire configuration...

Yes because that's my computer, I thought Crossfire would be good and now I'm not a big fan of it.  I'll be upgrading near the end of the year to a single GPU configuration.

We all would but they just dont make a single GPU that's good enough.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Yes because that's my computer, I thought Crossfire would be good and now I'm not a big fan of it.  I'll be upgrading near the end of the year to a single GPU configuration.

I see, Single 780 is my choice for now. Thank for your feedback !

Like I said... two Nvidia cards?  You'll be fine for the most part.

Crossfire.. SUCKS at the moment.

I see, Single 780 is my choice for now. Thank for your feedback !

That said... a single 780 is awesome...

because you can SLI it later ^_^

A 780 would be a much better value than a Titan (in fact if you have a budget at all you should not be considering a Titan).  Dual 660Ti's would probably be close to a single 780 if not slower so you wouldn't really be saving much money or gaining much performance either way while also adding more frame time variance and power consumption (not to mention 1GB less VRAM)...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res