DirectX 11.2 will combine GPU and system RAM for super textures, exclusive to Windows 8.1 and Xbox One

The new graphics system will utilise ‘tiled resources’ which will allow your main system RAM to be used alongside your graphics card’s RAM to improve texture detail.The video below shows Leblond demonstrating the technology on sequences involving up to nine gigs of visual data.

Source: http://www.pcgamesn.com/directx-112-will-combine-gpu-and-system-ram-super-textures-exclusive-windows-81

What do you guys think of this?Would you upgrade to window 8.1 just to use DirectX 11.2? I think it is interesting now that system ram can be use to improve texture details.Maybe now we could see more than 8gb of RAM needed for gaming.

Don't think this is worth it. Nvidia and AMD are already improving ram speeds on a hardware level for next generation due to stacking it or something like that.

Sounds exciting. Probably means 4K gaming doesn't require a Titan, as long as system memory is fast enough.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Don't think this is worth it. Nvidia and AMD are already improving ram speeds on a hardware level for next generation due to stacking it or something like that.

Volta offers stacked DRAM (1TB/s bandwith  :o ), Maxwell has virtual unified memory (allowing both the CPU and GPU to use the available memory from both RAM and VRAM).

I seriously love tech.

Oh and OpenGL has been doing this shit that Microsoft calls "new" for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=afFb2JU45gA

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Volta offers stacked DRAM (1TB/s bandwith  :o ), Maxwell has virtual unified memory (allowing both the CPU and GPU to use the available memory from both RAM and VRAM).

I seriously love tech.

OpenGL and CL seem so much better than directX imo.

Nah, i dont think its worth the money to upgrade. Marketing nonsense?

If you have Windows 8 already you can upgrade for the low price of FREE

How bout the fact that i dont

It isnt a marketing trick. 8.1 is 3 years ahead of windows 7. Newer things come with more options and are usually better.

It isnt a marketing trick. 8.1 is 3 years ahead of windows 7. Newer things come with more options and are usually better.

Then why no DX12 but 11.2 with W8? 

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Hirgaki, on 27 Jun 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Then why no DX12 but 11.2 with W8?

Because they wanted to get this feature out immediately (apparently it's used in the Xbox One, though I thought the GPU and CPU already had completely unified memory there so I don't know how it's applicable...) but weren't ready for a full version update since DX11 is still pretty new?

Because they wanted to get this feature out immediately (apparently it's used in the Xbox One, though I thought the GPU and CPU already had completely unified memory there so I don't know how it's applicable...) but weren't ready for a full version update since DX11 is still pretty new?

Directx 11 aint new, since like 4 years ago.... Thats why i call it a marketing strategy, hoping to use this version of dx to lure more people to w8

I seriously love tech.

Damn straight! Screw Microsoft, the people tend to forget microsoft is the devil of the IT world. I hated them after the XP dx10 situation, but now OpenGL does the job of stickin it to the DX :D

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I hope they realize that most of their user base still at window 7 and would release at windows 7 too

Isn't worth it..

Interested in Business and Technology

I wonder if this why Microsoft go for ddr3 in Xbone design and they make this DirectX around that.

Nah, i dont think its worth the money to upgrade. Marketing nonsense?

As far as I recall the updates free 

As far as I recall the updates free 

Show me! Im on W7.....

Yeah well, as a W8 user that will get the W8.1 update for free, I don't care, but for the people who are still on W7, yeah it's basically not worth it to get W8.

(or just get W8 "legally" if you know what I mean :|)

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Okay, I have a noobish question. Does this mean that if I get Windows 8.1, then the vram on my video card won't matter? Like if I play a mod-heavy Skyrim that needs around 3gb, but my video card only has 2gb, it won't matter as long as I have enough system ram? Or am I missing something?

Okay, I have a noobish question. Does this mean that if I get Windows 8.1, then the vram on my video card won't matter? Like if I play a mod-heavy Skyrim that needs around 3gb, but my video card only has 2gb, it won't matter as long as I have enough system ram? Or am I missing something?

Basically yes.

On another note, does this mean the system RAM speed will mater more than before? :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

i would never "upgrade" to gain performance but also gain the hassle of windows 8

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

i would never "upgrade" to gain performance but also gain the hassle of windows 8

I still don't understand this sentiment.

What hassle? Metro? Not only can you completely skip it with 3rd party programs, 8.1 adds a feature to boot directly to the desktop as well. Do you really use the Windows 7 start menu for anything that you feel increases your productivity?