How durable are motherboards?

I know that motherboards are fragile and should be handled with care in an anti-static workspace, but how fragile are they really? I am very curious to know, how do they hold up to twisting, turning and bending?

Without any form track damage of course

Thanks again!

Did you make a tortilla out of your motherboard?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

All I can say about motherboard durability is scratches and the intel socket. When building, I dropped some screws on my MOBO and scratched the top and also when dropping my CPU in I dragged it on the pins by accident and nothing was broken. Also, at school we touched and held MOBOs in our hands and I was curious how durable the pin socket were and well, they are really hard to bend, so the pins are really more durable than said.

Nahh, its fine I'm currently moving cases and I thought to my self when installing the motherboard, how fragile is this motherboard?

breadboard.jpg

Took me a second to process and realize what was going on in the image

They're 100% fine if you won't purposely destroy it

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

well according to gigabyte they are durable. *puts on sunglasses* ultra durable. yeaaaaaaaa!

8002_big.jpg

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I remember burying one in an ants strapped with fireworks at school when I was 14 or so and detonating it. Didn't know what it was at the time, just found it in a store room, but we didn't even chip the damn thing. Pissed off a whole lot of ants though.

Like most computer parts people make sure that they are way more careful than they need to be so that if they slip up they're still good. Motherboards and most parts are actually pretty hardy and take a lot of abuse so that they don't break all the time. Like others had said, as long as you're not setting out to destory it you'll probably be alright.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Gigabyte boards are Ultra Durable...

get it? because... ultra durable...

But seriously, it depends on the board. A large eATX board with big heatsinks and backplates will be more durable than some entry-level ITX board with no heatsinks at all.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

This made me so happy

glad i could help :D

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Gigabyte boards are Ultra Durable...

get it? because... ultra durable...

But seriously, it depends on the board. A large eATX board with big heatsinks and backplates will be more durable than some entry-level ITX board with no heatsinks at all.

It+s+not+a+dog+problem+it+s+a+dog+soluti

As long as you don't use hammer... But seriously, you should always be gentle with electronics, more so when they are barebones (shoting PCB). If you have ever handled mobo, you will know that it isn't that easy to crack or bend. But since there is more than just PCB, there are always possibility to break or bend something like capacitors, heatsinks and with Intel, pins.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I know that motherboards are fragile and should be handled with care in an anti-static workspace, but how fragile are they really? I am very curious to know, how do they hold up to twisting, turning and bending?

they are usualy the first part to fail in a system...usualy the dimm slots or pcie slots go bad overtime...it's very likely to be the part that will limit a system life...they fail without giving any warning on top of that!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Without any form track damage of course

Thanks again!

They aren't particularly fragile as long as you handle them properly. Use a reasonably anti-static and non-conductive workspace (like the top of the motherboard box), and make sure you pay close attention to the stand-off screws when you mount it inside the case, and you will have eliminated all of the most likely pitfalls.

Never place the motherboard on top of a metal surface, or on top of the anti-static bag the motherboard came in. The outside of an anti-static bag conducts electricity.

lol

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.