Do you have a backup?

watts300

My important files are pretty much only my school stuff and they're small files so it's all on my dropbox. I do have another drive where I store all of my anime and stuff that is basically a copy of my mass storage drive but that's really all it is used for. My important music is ripped from CDs that I bought so I can just rip them again if I lose the files.

I have a 2TB Hitachi Drive in my Mac Pro to backup all the data on it as the PC has no key data on it however I am planning on getting a server to start backing up onto it (Having a 2TB Raid 1 Array for Media and a 6TB Raid 5 Array for Backups).

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I don't do backups of my pc or files that can easily be reacquired. But all of my family photos and important documents is on a external drive at my parents and a copy in the cloud 

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

Technically I do, and I'm using it right now to clean my laptops SSD (something went wrong on Windows 10) but all it is is a 250GB laptop hard drive over a USB-SATA interface. It took an hour just to move my desktop

Ever since I phased out the last pre-8 OS on my systems, I have been creating File History backups of my stuff. It's nothing special really, most of it is just all of my downloads. I also have a crapton (about 300GB) of torrents on a separate partition, sometimes even on a separate disk, which won't be touched during Windows reinstallations.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No, all my files are on a Cloud Storage. If the SSD fails I RMA it and reinstall windows of my USB stick. Nothing to worry about. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

no backup no antivirus no malware sweepers no windows updates. my pc runs the lightest version of windows 7 in existence :D   

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I've just put my school stuff, my music, copy's of games, and a Windows iso on both my computers, so if one fails, it'll still be on the other. The other things are easily redownloaded like chrome, ccleaner, minecraft etc.

Btw, thanks for remembering me to clean up my school folder, and back it up to my other computer again, and thanks for remembering me to reformat my whole old os drive with Vista lol.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I have a 256GB SSD and 3x500GB SATA hard drives in RAID 0 for 1.5TB for game storage on my desktop.  All of my documents are on Google Drive.  All my music is on Google Play.  So the only thing left for me to back up is photo and video multimedia.  Everything else is cloud based or something I can easily reinstall.  The photos and videos I store on a NAS and have an automated backup.  I have a set of home security IP cameras that record directly to the NAS as well.  

I'm in the process of putting together an older Supermicro ATX server motherboard and 8x2TB seagate barracudas as a fileserver that I am going to throw in the server room at my office for off site duplication of the NAS.

I do agree that backups are many times overlooked... but for the casual user, cloud storage tends to be sufficient.

battery to correctly shut off? yes. anything else? nope³

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

My steam games/game progress won't be lost and for Word documents and other things like that, i have one drive.

I used to not back up anything at all, and when I finally filled up my computer with enough to need to be backed up in case something happened, I just took it all off my computer and put it on a hard drives in raid 1 on a nas. The only thing I have on my computer are steam games on an ssd.

If I have need of anything, I copy it off the nas when I need it, then delete it when I'm done.

I don't think I've ever actually done a true backup.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I don't have the storage to do a back up, I may get another 3 or 4TB in the future.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

no, i don't have any to back it up to, and I don't know how to

The only thing I have backed up are pictures and music. I could always re-install windows and stuff. Games I don't care for, those are re-downloadable as well. I do have a backup computer in 2 laptops that I rarely use though. So if something in my desktop were to crap out, I have a backup computer I could use until I diagnose the problem.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I cloned my HDD to my laptop's SSD so I guess you could say it's a backup in case of SSD failure.

I have music and anything else important for my desktop on a mass storage drive.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Not of my whole system. Most of my stuff is no great loss if it all went. Would be an opportunity to clean up, actually.

Sensitive stuff that actually matters, yes. The stuff I need for school, for instance, I have five backups of. Can't be too careful.

I have a PC and a laptop so I have the somewhat ''important'' things on both machines. I guess that is a backup because chance that both go down is almost non-existant :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I have a 2TB WD MyBook that I use to do weekly backups of my Media and OS drives. I'd do it more often, but my OS drive rarely ever changes.

I don't store anything I don't want lost, drive fails, buy new one, reinstall games, etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have a backup system that backs my important data to both disk and LTO3 Tapes.

I never backup my crap because I can always get it back... I only backup really important stuff, and that's on a flash drive or something. Other than that all my games and stuff like that I just leave.

As it is I have never had a drive fail on me or anything, and the most problems I have had were windows update bullshit problems that made me have to refresh my PC. All I lost were program files and stuff, but as I said I can get all of it back. I still had my games in windows.old so I copied them over, and all the documents that I have were saved.

Back-ups? I most certainly have back-ups for my important files.

3ffa1423fda72eae72cdaeda32ac411e.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^