Turn HP low profile into decent PC?

Cwazywazy

I have an HP low profile PC (DC7800) and it's got a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz and a PCIE slot. Not too bad, but how hard would it be to stuff something better in there? Like, a small mobo for a good CPU and a sideways mounted full size GPU. I've got a 500w Be Quiet just lying around and it looks like it'd fit with a bit of cutting out of the back if the motherboard wasn't in the way. I think the GPU would have to be one of those shorter cards because I tried seeing if my 8800GTS would fit in there but it's so long it hits the CPU heatsink. I'd want it to look completely stock on the outside. Maybe it'd be possible to take out the DVD drive and just glue the front cover to it in place to free up space inside?

lKx4N3T.jpg

mbHHjPT.jpg

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I have an HP low profile PC (DC7800) and it's got a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz and a PCIE slot. Not too bad, but how hard would it be to stuff something better in there? Like, a small mobo for a good CPU and a sideways mounted full size GPU. I've got a 500w Be Quiet just lying around and it looks like it'd fit with a bit of cutting out of the back if the motherboard wasn't in the way. I think the GPU would have to be one of those shorter cards because I tried seeing if my 8800GTS would fit in there but it's so long it hits the CPU heatsink.

i feel like that would be a media center pc at its best or a storage server

i got just the card

nvm its full hieght

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Can't be done. Half height GPUs suck, and the PSU is terrible, and everything looks to be proprietary. Also, it's over 6 years old now. It's time for a full replacement.

Nooo, I mean replace everything. Fit a normal PSU in there, small mobo, sideways mounted full size GPU, etc.

Also, it's not like this is my main PC. I just have it lying around..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

I suggest you drink that coke. and then it would be time to get a full replacement.

That PSU is so bad. and most half-sized GPU's are bad.

And im sure the CPU is like 4-5 years old

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Nooo, I mean replace everything. Fit a normal PSU in there, small mobo, sideways mounted full size GPU, etc.

So basically  a new PC 2 with the same CPU and MoBo

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

I suggest you drink that coke. and then it would be time to get a full replacement.

That PSU is so bad. and most half-sized GPU's are bad.

And im sure the CPU is like 4-5 years old

OK. My point is to have a decent PC in THIS case. I just think it'd be cool to have a sort of "sleeper" PC if you know what I mean. Also, just to clarify, this isn't my main PC. That has dual 270s and a FX 8320.

$200 Volvo 245

So basically  a new PC 2 with the same CPU and MoBo

NO. FUCK. I want to hack a small motherboard in there with support for a good CPU and then fit a normal PSU in there. Then find space to sideways mount a normal GPU. GOD.

$200 Volvo 245

OK. My point is to have a decent PC in THIS case. I just think it'd be cool to have a sort of "sleeper" PC if you know what I mean. Also, just to clarify, this isn't my main PC. That has dual 270s and a FX 8320.

Oh sorry i didn't know about that.

Its possible to turn it into a semi-decent pc. I would just turn it into a APU build

I would love to see it when its done.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

NO. FUCK. I want to hack a small motherboard in there with support for a good CPU and then fit a normal PSU in there. Then find space to sideways mount a normal GPU. GOD.

The limiting factor here is getting a proper PSU and motherboard. IIRC, they're proprietary and don't follow ATX standards, so you're SOL.

The Mobo is a proprietary form factor so you can't buy a new one unless you drill holes into the case for standoffs. a normal PSU is thicker than that one so it wouldn't fit.

Edit: ninja'd by @Lotus

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

Whoa there. Take it easy. Understandable if no one gets what you want to do, just keep explaining until people do...no need to get angry.

The motherboard and PSU are proprietary form factors so its not a simple swap out. Also note the PCIE slots...they are not on the correct side of the rear I/O. I would say its impossible unless you cut the old back panel out and create a new one.

Everything in that case is proprietary. If you plan on putting in a new motherboard you would have to custom mount everything. You would also need to mod the entire back of the case as the propietary layout won't allow for a stanadard motherboard io, and the PSU replacement would also suffer from the same problem.

he actually could NOT put a new mobo and Psu in its a size issue unless you get a board that is only 4.5 inches or so long....if he wanted to use the same psu however he could cut the case to make a matx/itx board work in there if he added stand offs and cut a new I/O, then the side mounted card he would have to put on a riser and make it a custom slot too hopefully not interfering with the I/O.

but i digress you can't do anything unless you do a ton of work tbh and by that time it actually would be cheaper to buy a new case. I know from experience.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

The Mobo is a proprietary form factor so you can't buy a new one unless you drill holes into the case for standoffs. a normal PSU is thicker than that one so it wouldn't fit.

Edit: ninja'd by @Lotus

I checked, the left side of the PSU that's in it is the same length and height as my 500w. I just need a motherboard small enough that it won't get in the way of the right side of my PSU. Then I'll cut/drill out the back to get it in. A APU sounds like a good idea, shouldn't have sold my old A8...

$200 Volvo 245

wouldn't it be easier to just buy a new low profile case?

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

probably an itx mobo would fit with the psu

you gotta drill holes to assemble it though

you can try ;)

if you screw up take the parts u used to try this out and build them into a nice little silverstone and everything is fine ;)

i cant figure that out for you though. id need a case like this over here to mindwork on it :/

you culd tabe the mobo in too....... not a good idea though

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

just buy a new case they are not very expensive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I really don't think this is going to work out for you. Its a micro BTX board and one of the weird SFX PSUs puzzle pieced together. I doubt an ATX board would fit in there in any way, you might be able to make an SFX and ITX work together tho. That still leaves you with a lot of wasted space in the front and no good place to put a GPU, unless you want the I/O of the GPU coming out of one of the sides. Along with horrible cooling, and a lot of time wasted.

There are some things that just aren't worth doing, go find an old beige tower if you want a sleeper PC.

just buy a new case they are not very expensive

I DON'T WANT A NEW CASE. I want this one. Jesus, the case is the whole point of this. Also because it's small.

I just happen to have a PSU in the basement that's the same form factor of this one but it doesn't use proprietary connectors which means if I stay under 240w with a low power APU or something I don't need to drill in my 500w.

$200 Volvo 245

If your up for the work, I say go ahead. You can also think about moving the psu if you need more space, as you will be custom mounting and making a custom io to fit a new motherboard.

You can even consider using different psu form factors.