290X Lighting vs GTX 970 G1 Gaming

Rhett M. Quigley

Soo... noone is going to mention not being able to overclock that 290X to any significant degree (<10%)?

Currently working my way past 1.5ghz on my 970 (45% OC from stock).

You can get a decent OC on the MSI lightning.

Its not 45% however.

Soo... noone is going to mention not being able to overclock that 290X to any significant degree (<10%)?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/27.html

Currently working my way past 1.550 mhz on my 970 (47% OC from stock).

That's nice but since every 970 going can achieve around 1500MHz, it isn't really as impressive. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

That's nice but since every 970 going can achieve around 1500MHz, it isn't really as impressive. 

Yees... but we're not comparing 970's, the tests are usually done on stock 970's. But you can get a 50% OC easy on a 970. You can't do that on a 290x. Which changes evverything.

And not everyone is into over volting their cards.

Not overvolting my card. (btw, you still need to work on your analogies (sig)).

Anyway, just saw that noone was mentioning overclocking potential. Which is kinda a big deal on Maxwell.

Yees... but we're not comparing 970's, the tests are usually done on stock 970's. But you can get a 50% OC easy on a 970. You can't do that on a 290x. Which changes evverything.

Not overvolting my card.

Anyway, just saw that noone was mentioning overclocking potential. Which is kinda a big deal on Maxwell.

You can get 1500 mhz without changing the voltage?

Either BS or you have perfect silicone on that thing lol.

How are they priced where you are?

If I were to look at buying them, the Lightning 290X is £408 and the G1 970 is £289.99. That Lightning is in 980 territory in terms of price, whereas the G1 is only marginally more expensive than any other 970.

How are they priced where you are?

If I were to look at buying them, the Lightning 290X is £408 and the G1 970 is £289.99. That Lightning is in 980 territory in terms of price, whereas the G1 is only marginally more expensive than any other 970.

Where I live the Lightning is $330 (£219.03) and the G1 is $360 (£238.94)

You can get 1500 mhz without changing the voltage?

Either BS or you have perfect silicone on that thing lol.

I can get 1550mhz without touching voltage. I can run 1591/8100 @ 1.250v all day long. This is part of the reason i wont be returning my card. What would i buy if i did return it? A 290(x)? That would make no sense at all  :D

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Go with the cheaper one.

Yeah, seems to be the most logical choice, you get roughly equal performance, and a full 4gb vram.

The G1 970 is a beast of a card. I would put mine up against any 290x @ 1080p any day of the week. Powerful, cool, quiet and sexy as hell!!  :P

Where I live the Lightning is $330 (£219.03) and the G1 is $360 (£238.94)

Go with the cheaper one.

Gotta agree with this. Faced with a 290X and a 970, they're pretty similar, get whichever is cheaper.

Either will be great at 1440p, and I can't imagine many situations at 1080p in which you aren't exclusively CPU bound with either of these.

The G1 970 is a beast of a card. I would put mine up against any 290x @ 1080p any day of the week. Powerful, cool, quiet and sexy as hell!!  :P

You can't go wrong with either, but the Lighnting seems to be more future proof because of the 4gb vram. The only game I can think of where the 970 is a lot better is Bioshock Infinite, but that's probably with reference models at stock.

3.5 or 4GB isn't going to make a lot of difference. 18% or 45-50% overclock is.

All i'm saying is, don't let the recent controversy cloud your judgement too much.

Also consider how highly you regard noise. Because the 970 will be several times more quiet.

3.5 or 4GB isn't going to make a lot of difference. 18% or 45-50% overclock is.

All i'm saying is, don't let the recent controversy cloud your judgement too much.

Also consider how highly you regard noise. Because the 970 will be several times more quiet.

I have heard that the Lightning is one of the louder versions of the 290X, but louder can still be quiet if the quieter is very silent. How much fps boost would a 50% overclock make?

You can't go wrong with either, but the Lighnting seems to be more future proof because of the 4gb vram. The only game I can think of where the 970 is a lot better is Bioshock Infinite, but that's probably with reference models at stock.

Future proof doesn't exist. 

Future proof doesn't exist. 

It does.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It does.

Maybe but it is very limited.

Maybe but it is very limited.

Why did you change your mind ?? I thought you said it didn't ??

explain limited ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why did you change your mind ?? I thought you said it didn't ??

explain limited ??

Depends on the individuals needs of course.

Demands for better tech are increasing so rapidly, more powerful hardware is being released more often. To keep up with cutting edge gaming at high resolutions you need to upgrade more frequently. Before a GPU could last 2 years, that isnt the case anymore.

Depends on the individuals needs of course.

Demands for better tech are increasing so rapidly, more powerful hardware is being released more often. To keep up with cutting edge gaming at high resolutions you need to upgrade more frequently. Before a GPU could last 2 years, that isnt the case anymore.

Yeah. It'd be cool if we all had millions of $ so choosing/upgrading hardware would be as easy as pie.