Dying Light Performance Patch

christianled59

Dying Light gets a patch that supposedly fixed performance issues and increases optimization. However, AMD systems and multi gpu configs will still have issues. 

http://steamcommunity.com/games/239140/announcements/detail/112923269185739891

It's good to see games pushing for better optimization on PC. Lately I've been tired of seeing half assed ports but dying light seems to be trying. I tested it on a gtx 760sc pre-patch and it keeps a consistent 35-40 frames. Only a little stutter here and there. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'm still crashing randomly.

Not sure if it's because I manually disabled the film grain effect, but either way...It's annoying

I personally hadn't had this issue. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I can say that the sound problems and crashing are gone, also I can now push the game quality a bit more. There's been a number of bugs that has been addressed as well but I'll wait till the next patch which will supposedly "really" fix the performance issues.  

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Are you guys running on the latest nvidia update? Enable Threaded Optimization, set V-sync to adaptive, fresh rates on monitor to highest possible and power management to maximum performance on the nvidia control panel. I'm not experiencing any fps drops from 100 to 40 or 30 anymore after the update and changing control settings. My average fps now is 105.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I've been playing on a build I made for a friend to test it (fx 6300 and 760sc) runs perfect.

Are you guys running on the latest nvidia update? Enable Threaded Optimization, set V-sync to adaptive, fresh rates on monitor to highest possible and power management to maximum performance on the nvidia control panel. I'm not experiencing any fps drops from 100 to 40 or 30 anymore after the update and changing control settings. My average fps now is 105.

I'll give this a shot and report back 2morro

I'll give this a shot and report back 2morro

If you still have problems, then verify the game through steam.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I find it interesting how core load distribution has been fixed across the board, including for AMD CPUs... and yet, there's no performance increase at all on that end.

Before the patch, my 6300 was reaching 100% on core 1 and bouncing around between 20% and 60% on the rest. Since the patch, none of my cores reach 90% at any time, and the load seems to be pretty evenly distributed across all of the cores, the maximum any of them seem to achieve is 80%, but they mostly sit around the 50-60% range.

The patch has made it so that my hardware is obviously being better utilized, as my GPU and CPU are both managing to run the game without reaching their maximum usage and yet... there's absolutely no performance increase whatsoever. Before the patch, my average framerate out side sat in the 25-30 range. Since the patch... my average framerate outside sits in the 25-30 range.

I understand they have acknowledged AMD performance is sub-par, and they've said they're working on fixing it in another patch, but what I don't understand is how if the original suspicions were true, that AMD performance was poor because of AMD's poor per-core performance... then how the hell does a patch that obviously fixes the game's usage of multiple cores seem to have no effect on performance at all?

Can someone please explain this to me?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

I find it interesting how core load distribution has been fixed across the board, including for AMD CPUs... and yet, there's no performance increase at all on that end.

Before the patch, my 6300 was reaching 100% on core 1 and bouncing around between 20% and 60% on the rest. Since the patch, none of my cores reach 90% at any time, and the load seems to be pretty evenly distributed across all of the cores, the maximum any of them seem to achieve is 80%, but they mostly sit around the 50-60% range.

The patch has made it so that my hardware is obviously being better utilized, as my GPU and CPU are both managing to run the game without reaching their maximum usage and yet... there's absolutely no performance increase whatsoever. Before the patch, my average framerate out side sat in the 25-30 range. Since the patch... my average framerate outside sits in the 25-30 range.

I understand they have acknowledged AMD performance is sub-par, and they've said they're working on fixing it in another patch, but what I don't understand is how if the original suspicions were true, that AMD performance was poor because of AMD's poor per-core performance... then how the hell does a patch that obviously fixes the game's usage of multiple cores seem to have no effect on performance at all?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Are you running the game in max settings?

Turn shadows down to medium with foliage high. Reduce the view distance to the lowest and try it again. If it's still low, turn off other unnecessary settings like AA, nvidia options as well as motion blur. With this kind of settings, you should be able to get 40-83 fps. If it still doesn't work, reduce the shadows again, foliage to medium and maybe remove film grain effect. Go to taskbar and go to dyinglight.exe then click affinity tab and unclick core 0 (youtube comment.) If you're unsatisfied, then maybe it's time for an upgrade. R9 290x are on sale, Intel i3 or i5 are good too. :)

Are you running the game in max settings?

Even if I was, it wouldn't change the fact that my hardware is no longer being fully utilized in any way, and yet there's no actual change in performance as a result of it, not to mention the settings are no different from where they were before.

Also, no. Everything is either low or off, with the exception of textures which have no low setting, but that's beside the point. The difference between medium and high textures for me is 900MB of VRAM and 1700MB of VRAM and about 20% overall gpu usage... still never reaching 100%. Framerate is, once again, unaffected.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Even if I was, it wouldn't change the fact that my hardware is no longer being fully utilized in any way, and yet there's no actual change in performance as a result of it, not to mention the settings are no different from where they were before.

Also, no. Everything is either low or off, with the exception of textures which have no low setting, but that's beside the point. The difference between medium and high textures for me is 900MB of VRAM and 1700MB of VRAM and about 20% overall gpu usage... still never reaching 100%. Framerate is, once again, unaffected.

Actually, some people are reporting that changing the settings doesn't boost fps at all. In my experience, it is true.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2u0l7n/how_to_fix_performance_in_dying_light/

Some people are turning off settings and actually fix their problem. People are also trying the same options being turned off or turned down but it doesn't fix their problem. I guess the "every system is different" applies here. Will try to find out more fix about your problem tomorrow since it's already 3 AM here. In the meantime, try to find a fix on the links that I gave you or google the same cpu/gpu that you have playing dying light.

Make sure that you don't have any applications open when playing.

Fixed everything for me !

Viewing distance to max has low impact on the FPS.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Still broken for me , i can get 60 fps if i look in the right direction , buit it drops down to 20 fps when ever i try to kill a zombie ,

My cpu usage hits about 60% which isnt the problem , but my 970 only gets about 35% usage .... regardless of what settings i use

Dying light could have been a good game imo , but i dont know how long it is gonna be before i can play it ,

does anyone know any ways to force my GPU to work harder ...

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Still broken for me , i can get 60 fps if i look in the right direction , buit it drops down to 20 fps when ever i try to kill a zombie ,

My cpu usage hits about 60% which isnt the problem , but my 970 only gets about 35% usage .... regardless of what settings i use

Dying light could have been a good game imo , but i dont know how long it is gonna be before i can play it ,

Only thing you can really do is upgrade your CPU. This game is CPU bound. Turn view distance down to 0 to see if that helps you. 

Only thing you can really do is upgrade your CPU. This game is CPU bound. Turn view distance down to 0 to see if that helps you. 

yea i have tried that , dosent really make a difference to the average FPS , i just hope they can do more for AMD CPU's 

that being said i will be upgrading to an i7 4790k eventually :D

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

yea i have tried that , dosent really make a difference to the average FPS , i just hope they can do more for AMD CPU's 

that being said i will be upgrading to an i7 4790k eventually :D

Well that sucks. But to be honest the AMD cpus are just to old/weak if I was a dev i wouldn't really try to gimp my game so they play well on the fx cpus either. You will definitely notice a difference when you switch, I did.

Are you using latest nvidia drivers?

Are you using latest nvidia drivers?

Yes 347.25

My Pc Specs

Just good to see a dev trying to fix their game :)

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad