Need help: GTX 780's in SLI but with 2 monitors...trouble

Monty007

Hi everyone.

I need some help/guidance on my situation.  I have 2 780's in SLI that I have been previously using to run a triple 24" surround.  I had to give up one of the screens for my wife's new computer so now I'm running only 2.  I mostly play fps games but I noticed that since I disconnected the 3rd screen, the SLi has been disabled.  I noticed this only after reviewing my Precision X log and saw that only GPU 1 was being used.  the other was just sitting there.

I'm now trying to setup the SLi where I have one primary monitor for BF4 and the 2nd monitor to show the battle screen.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the Nvidia control panel doesn't let me hook it up this way.  I have also tried to only have one monitor and then setup SLI which works but then when I add the 2nd monitor after powering down, the software recognizes the 2nd monitor and shuts it off.   

Very frustrating!!

I hope that someone has some experience with this and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Try adding the 3rd monitor then dissabling SLI and maybe it will work like this

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Thanks for the input.  I'm trying to get back over the 100fps.  with the single monitor for game play and sli disabled I'm getting a max of 40-50fps. on ultra.  I'm now used to 100+fps for a very smooth gameplay

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

you have both monitors plugged into one card right??

I have tried that along with one monitor into each card.  No difference.

How are you connecting the monitors? All to one card? 

EDIT: Have you tried updating/reinstalling drivers? 

How are you connecting the monitors? All to one card? 

EDIT: Have you tried updating/reinstalling drivers? 

Drivers are all up to date.  I even did a complete uninstall of the drivers and re-install.

So enabling SLI in the Nvidia control panel doesn't work?

it does when there is only one monitor hooked up but then when I power down and plug in the 2nd monitor it somehow shuts off.

it does when there is only one monitor hooked up but then when I power down and plug in the 2nd monitor it somehow shuts off.

Try plugging the monitor into the 2nd card

blackshades on

If you did not manually disable nvidia surround it can (sometimes but not always) cause some issues with any setup fallowing that. I found in my experiences that the best way to get it to behave normally is to disable nvidia surround, Plug only a single monitor in, Uninstall the drivers then run driver sweeper (restarting when necessary of course) then re installing the drivers. after all that just plug in any and all monitors you are wanting to use. Works like a charm for me when it starts behaving erratically, Hopefully it works for you to should you have the patience to do it.

If you did not manually disable nvidia surround it can (sometimes but not always) cause some issues with any setup fallowing that. I found in my experiences that the best way to get it to behave normally is to disable nvidia surround, Plug only a single monitor in, Uninstall the drivers then run driver sweeper (restarting when necessary of course) then re installing the drivers. after all that just plug in any and all monitors you are wanting to use. Works like a charm for me when it starts behaving erratically, Hopefully it works for you to should you have the patience to do it.

Thanks!  I'll try this tonight and see.  

Thanks!  I'll try this tonight and see.  

Ohh a part i forgot as well, once you finish re installing the drivers i plug in the monitors i plan to use BEFORE i re enable sli and obviously restart my system after enabling sli. I tend to plug my monitors in while my system is running as well, doubt that will make a difference but i suppose you never know.