iOS Apps Generated More Revenue Than Hollywood

Earlier this month, Apple announced iPhone and iPad developers raked in as much as $10 billion in 2014. Tack on the 30% or so that Apple itself made on top, and the roughly $14.3 billion exceeds the $10 billion or so Hollywood made at the U.S. box office.

The threshold highlights how big the business of mobile apps has become—which is extraordinary, considering there was no meaningful mobile app business prior to 2008, when Apple’s App Store first launched.

That doesn’t mean every app developer makes a ton of money—in fact, according to VisionMobile, 50% of iOS developers and 64% of Android developers weigh in below the "app poverty line,” i.e. making less than $500 per app per month.

Source: http://readwrite.com/2015/01/26/ios-app-development-hollywood-revenues-growth

So what does this mean for Hollywood? Does this milestone (for Apple) signal that Hollywood is losing touch?

I wonder what kind of impact releasing box office movies directly via digital download would have. WIth 4K TVs in production, downloading a 4K box office movie and beaming it onto the TV would be awesome.

Well.. That is certainly an interesting comparison :P

EDIT: Hoolywood and movies lost their touch a long time ago

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Gotta remember that hollywood accounting... 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Makes perfect sense,  it's much harder to pirate IOS apps, therefore they generate more revenue. :lol: :ph34r:

*Waits for barrage of idiotic posting telling me why this is wrong... :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Maybe because any decent app for an iPhone costs money. The first time I got an iPhone I needed some apps that were free on android, quite a few I used didn't have alternatives (such as voice and call recorders, dvr apps etc.) and some that were free cost 1$ or more on the iPhone.

How does Hoolywood differ to Hollywood? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

What are you talking about? Hollywood haven't lost touch at all, box office has been on a pretty steady rise since forever. Additionally this comparison is retarded as the box office only reflects domestic cinema goers and the App revenue is worldwide.

How does Hoolywood differ to Hollywood? :P JK

It's very different, that place is sooo cool man!

What are you talking about? Hollywood haven't lost touch at all, box office has been on a pretty steady rise since forever. Additionally this comparison is retarded as the box office only reflects domestic cinema goers and the App revenue is worldwide.

I may sound like a hipster or whatever... But most movies are not that good anymore (the mainstream movies from Hollywood)

That is just my opinion, but it seems like a lot of other people feel that too.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

LOL HAHA. Right! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I should stop buying games for my iPhone ^^

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I should stop buying games for my iPhone ^^

But .. But first finish this Candy Crush stage..

But .. But first finish this Candy Crush stage..

Actually never played it :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I may sound like a hipster or whatever... But most movies are not that good anymore (the mainstream movies from Hollywood)

That is just my opinion, but it seems like a lot of other people feel that too.

What 2014 movies did you watch? I certainly loved a lot of them. The Fault In Our Stars and Guardians of the Galaxy were probably my favorites.

Since what Hollywood has an applications store to be compared with  :wacko: