Can a single 980 classified handle 4k?

Matt255
Go to solution Solved by DavidTheWin,

I ran my 4k monitor off a single 980 (reference but at 1450MHz). It will run most things fairly well but definitely not at ultra, maybe medium to be getting 45+fps. They will be playable though, especially if you get a gsync monitor because then the drops to ~45fps aren't so noticeable. I got my second 980 (two in SLI now, both reference at 1404MHz) a week or so ago, with SLI 980s you can run most things at 4k 60fps maxed without anti aliasing. Some things like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light might drop down in areas but in general you'll be OK. Games like CS, TF2, DotA, LoL and so on will be no problem.

Can 1 980 classified handle 4k at ultra and high settings and getting 30+ frames. I would use a g sync monitor and eventually get another 980 after a while. Lets say 4 months if i am lucky and 7 months realistically. 

YOu will get 30+ frames yes (In most games, not in games like crysis 3 :P), if you tone down the settings a bit you should be able to get 40-60 stable

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

At ultra, no.

Edit:thats a bad answer. Depends on the game

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I ran my 4k monitor off a single 980 (reference but at 1450MHz). It will run most things fairly well but definitely not at ultra, maybe medium to be getting 45+fps. They will be playable though, especially if you get a gsync monitor because then the drops to ~45fps aren't so noticeable. I got my second 980 (two in SLI now, both reference at 1404MHz) a week or so ago, with SLI 980s you can run most things at 4k 60fps maxed without anti aliasing. Some things like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light might drop down in areas but in general you'll be OK. Games like CS, TF2, DotA, LoL and so on will be no problem.

i guess the 980 classified can run at high at above 30 then and i will try overclocking it as well 

Can 1 980 classified handle 4k at ultra and high settings and getting 30+ frames. I would use a g sync monitor and eventually get another 980 after a while. Lets say 4 months if i am lucky and 7 months realistically. 

Don't get that. For 480$ you can get 2 R9 290s, which will wreck a 980 in everything by a huge margin and run 4k no problem. If you have a little more money you can get 2 970s.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't get that. For 480$ you can get 2 R9 290s, which will wreck a 980 in everything by a huge margin and run 4k no problem. If you have a little more money you can get 2 970s.

I have a 7502 g2 so amd isnt an option, i was planning to get 2 970 but the vram issue is a turn off since 4k uses so much vram and i may be able to get a second 980 after a while 

I have a 7502 g2 so amd isnt an option, i was planning to get 2 970 but the vram issue is a turn off since 4k uses so much vram and i may be able to get a second 980 after a while 

750 watts are more than enough for two R9 290s. And those have no issue with vram whatsoever :) again, 980s are a plain and simple waste of money. That 20% more performance (maybe) is not worth 230% the price. Get 2 R9 290s, save your money, and in 3 years when they start to choke you'll be able to afford an upgrade which will destroy 2 980s for half the price.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

750 watts are more than enough for two R9 290s. And those have no issue with vram whatsoever :) again, 980s are a plain and simple waste of money. That 20% more performance (maybe) is not worth 230% the price. Get 2 R9 290s, save your money, and in 3 years when they start to choke you'll be able to afford an upgrade which will destroy 2 980s for half the price.

not according to pcpartpicker

not according to pcpartpicker

See for yourself: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HLWTD3 more or less your specs (don't mind if I put in some meh stuff, it's just a quick random build to show you power consumption), approximately 680 watts. Which means you get some room for oc as well.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ultra - Nope

High - Yes

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2