Experiences with Mail in Rebates

AkatsukiKun

I've been looking at the deals on stuff I want to buy on ncix and such. I know how Mail in Rebates work and how you can a massive or just even a decent price drop on a product.

My question is what are your experiences with MIR and what did you get from them?

hell,

i sent all the info to sapphire and said i was missing the ups bar code (i sent the literal cutout from the box, yes, even the cardboard)

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I've been looking at the deals on stuff I want to buy on ncix and such. I know how Mail in Rebates work and how you can a massive or just even a decent price drop on a product.

My question is what are your experiences with MIR and what did you get from them?

I've sent in a fair number of mail in rebates to Corsair and I've never had a problem, all you need is the receipt and cut out the UPC code for them to be mailed in.

I never had any problems. Just follow the directions to a T, and wait a few weeks.

My only gripe is that they usually they send you a gift card or prepaid debit card, rarely they send a check.

Just be ready to wait a long ass time.

All of the mail in rebates I've ever done have gone through smoothly, just took a while. At least 3 weeks from when I mailed them out. Just be sure to go to the website of the manufacturer of the product, and follow all the steps. Be sure that all of the things they need are in the envelope, and register the rebate online before you mail it out if they require it.

recently i sent a mail in rebate late and it got rejected then a couple of weeks later i got and email that it got approved

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

I probably have like 90$ mail-in rebates but I'm too lazy. I hate the post office, only time I like to go is when I have to pick something up.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

The only time I've used a mail-in rebate was when I bought my Epson printer a little over a year ago. Everything worked ok and I got my money after a few weeks.

Any time I send in a rebate I photocopy exactly what I mailed to them twice. That way when they inevitably claim I missed something I can either mail them another copy or take a picture or scan of it. I staple the upc cutout onto the rebate form and copy that,as well as my ncix invoice. I've been dicked around about half the time on rebates, but have got it every time in the end because I make copies.

Also I never ever EVER let a mir influence my purchasing decision. Because they're so flaky.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I did quite a few mail-in-rebates when I built my rig and literally all of them sent me back pre-paid visa giftcards with 10, 20, 30$ on them etc. Took about a month for them all to go through. Also, some of them make you include the invoice and the part of the box with serial number and everything, so take lots of pictures. Was it worth it? Yep. Definitely. Bought lots of coffee with my rebate cards.

Never had any of them rejected so far. 

Also, I like your avatar. And akatsuki

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I'm not really a fan of MIR. I remember when I was younger, I would have to apply for so many MIRs and it was ridiculous back then. When I started building computers over 2 years ago, I am haunted with them again. I can't think of any other type of products that have MIRs for them. Clothes, video games, etc. Only computer components have MIRs and I feel like we shouldn't really have to deal with something that was so common back in like the 90's. I actually tend to buy products that don't have MIRs now, I really can't be bothered with them to get a $20 gift card 4 months later. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I've never had problems with MIR's. I actually just received one from ASUS this morning. The only thing I don't like is the time it takes, it has always taken more than a month. If you don't mind waiting for the money then I'd say it is worth it.

I've sent in 2. One to ASUS and one to Rosewill. I sent the one to Rosewill around mid November and still haven't gotten it back. I sent the ASUS one around beginning December and got it back at couple weeks ago. It really just depends on the company.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

All of the MIRs I've gone through have arrived in a timely manner. Only one that didn't was for my power supply, I sent it in after I got the supply back in November and never got the rebate card until a week ago.

The only mail in rebate is with nespresso haha.... I got it back within 2 weeks.

The idea behind them is people get attracted to the idea... but cannot be bother to do it ;)

Corsair goes through with them, but that's all I know. It took a month though.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock