Carrizo To Deliver The Largest Performance per Watt Leap Ever, Coming in The Second Quarter of 2015

TERAFLOP

AMD's CEO confirmed in the latest conference call that the next generation Carrizo APU will come to market in the second quarter of this year.
The new APU will deliver "the largest ever generational leap in performance-per-watt for mainstream APUs"

Carrizo-Efficiency.png

Carrizo brings many new features to the table, including a new clever voltage delivery system that improves the frequency for any given voltage by 15%. Improving performance / watt by 15% essentially. Another important feature is full HSA 1.0 capability, including unified shared memory, GPU context switch, graphics preemption and quality of service.

hsa-overview-4-728.jpg

Leaked benchmarks for Carrizo shows it beating Kaveri by a factor of 2:1 and outperforming Iris Pro by a factor of 3:1, putting it on par with Playstation 4 performance but inside a TDP that's three to four times smaller.
The A10 7850K scores around 270 Mpix/s while Intel’s HD5200 Iris Pro scores a more modest 200 Mpix/s. Carriso scores here over 600 Mpix/s which suggests that Carrizo is more than twice as fast as Kaveri and three times faster than Iris Pro.
To put this into perspective this is what an R7 265 graphics card scores, a card that offers the same graphics performance inside the Playstation 4

Source / full article.

That sounds pretty cool if you ask me.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Progress is delicious.

these are gonna make for some interesting build possibilities :D 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

the only thing i dont like is there very careful language,

the largest ever generational leap in performance-per-watt for mainstream APUs"

Wow that's like 100% better perf/watt! It would be worth my time, had it not been FREAKING IGP'S AMD!!!! Please do get your heads out of your asses over there and update the fx lineup. Intel without competition is bad news...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

its certainly interesting and the performance that could with it is rather interesting as well.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Wow that's like 100% better perf/watt! It would be worth my time, had it not been FREAKING IGP'S AMD!!!! Please do get your heads out of your asses over there and update the fx lineup. Intel without competition is bad news...

I still don't get what's so horrible about IGPs...

I've used the 7650D on my A8 for a few months and it's not as terrible as people make it out to be... at least, compared to an Intel HD3000 on a Pentium P6100...

Please do get your heads out of your asses over there and update the fx lineup.

They don't have anything for the FX lineup. Excavator is an iteration on Steamroller/Bulldozer and will have similarly inadequate single threaded performance.

iGPUs are the one thing they can still do better than intel.

I hope HSA becomes a widely adopted thing. So much potential.

So why isn't this coming to desktops exactly ?

It is.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Basically it's HSA that's making that performance/watt up, CPU itself is barely better than the previous gen.

I'm surprised that Intel is letting AMD beating them in the APU market.  Especially with all the money Intel has.

I hope HSA becomes a widely adopted thing. So much potential.

It is.

Wasn't Carrizo supposedly only to release on mobile platforms?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Wasn't Carrizo supposedly only to release on mobile platforms?

Carrizo will be mobile only, as of now. The technology will be coming to the desktop, there's no word on when, though.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Carrizo will be mobile only, as of now. The technology will be coming to the desktop, there's no word on when, though.

I really hope to see this new voltage tech in the new 300 series graphics cards. Would do wonders for performance. A 150mhz overclock at the same voltage is much more potent on GPUs than CPUs and would make a whole lot of difference.

I really hope to see this new voltage tech in the new 300 series graphics cards. Would do wonders for performance. A 150mhz overclock at the same voltage is much more potent on GPUs than CPUs and would make a whole lot of difference.

No it won't and the gains will be zero, it's just a PWM controller integrated in the die that filters the motherboards PWM controller again for less ripple (like ripple has been an issue). Haswell already has the VR integrated, the vrm moved to the CPU is false - it's still there on motherboards, might make a difference when VRM performance is needed (world record overclocks 9GHz race - there's zero proof of the FIVR making a difference) but just for normal clocks you still are bound to the quality of the chip (which you still are for world record OC's). I just don't see the point of integrating a PWM controller in the CPU, we just mainly need mosfets that can deliver more power at higher temps and handle higher temps better while being more efficient, it's always the case with high power consumption CPU's like the 3930K/5960x/9590 etc the mosfets overheating and clocking the CPU down.

I love the hardcore power efficiency smack down going on between NVIDIA and AMD, but bullshit.

This thing is not going to be as powerful as the PS4. Set aside the circle jerk for now, and think about that. It might be the first APU to break 1TFlops, but it isn't going to be a freaking 265 on the same die as a CPU.

I love the hardcore power efficiency smack down going on between NVIDIA and AMD, but bullshit. This thing is not going to be as powerful as the PS4. Set aside the circle jerk for now, and think about that. It might be the first APU to break 1TFlops, but it isn't going to be a freaking 265 on the same die as a CPU.

True as the main limitation will be the memory bandwidth between the system ram and the GPU

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

please amd i beg u to work on fx line up, make a fan boys day;)

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

They don't have anything for the FX lineup. Excavator is an iteration on Steamroller/Bulldozer and will have similarly inadequate single threaded performance.

iGPUs are the one thing they can still do better than intel.

Yeah but for how long? Intel is ahead of everyone in terms of manufacturing and everyone else seems to be trying to play catchup. Intel is going to be doing better and better in the IGP side and with much more efficient chips and AMD is just gonna be the other not-ideal option. It won't take long for intel to surpass AMD in IGPs and when that happens it is game-over for them. However if AMD announces a half-decent enthusiast line of CPUs, then they are going to hit intel hard. Imagine a cpu with 90% of the performance of the 5960x at half the price. Then it will be AMD that is gonna have the advantage.

I still don't get what's so horrible about IGPs...

I've used the 7650D on my A8 for a few months and it's not as terrible as people make it out to be... at least, compared to an Intel HD3000 on a Pentium P6100...

Because it only makes sense for VERY VERY budget builds, laptops or REALLY small builds and it hampers the CPU's performance. I am not against AMD doing better with their APUs, but I do not think completely abandoning the fx line is the right choice. We will just have to wait and see I guess...

So why isn't this coming to desktops exactly ?

It most likely scale even worse than Kaveri.

Off-topic, but has Carrizo DDR4 support been confirmed or debunked?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.