Region Locks for Anime, Netflix and etc. Do They Annoy You?

JujuShinobi

Good day or evening to all who read this forum post. Many of you who come here today may be from America or Canada and have the prevelidge of having Netflix, Crunchyroll and other legal streaming websites. You enjoy the near limitless amounts of entertainment you can receive from these websites.

Unfortunately for me, I cannot enjoy such benefits. I live in Singapore and the problem here is that when I try to go to Netflix or Crunchyroll to watch a show legally, I cannot. This forces me to either go to illegal streaming sites or even torrent which as convenient as it is, is not what I wish to do. I would love to support the production studios by watching their shows legally or just outright paying for a hard copy. But as I said before, it is near impossible for me to do so.

Hence now I ask the community this question, do you think restriction of content to certain regions should be removed? Is it really necessary in the first place?

Thank you for your time.

Hence now I ask the community this question, do you think restriction of content to certain regions should be removed? Is it really necessary in the first place?

Yes. And be made avaiable in the original synch aswell.

I'm having a similar problem here:

Switzerland gets 90% of it's TV from Germany, which get's most of the stuff 6-12months later, because it has to be synched.

Now I do not want to wait 6 months extra for the new TBBT, nor do I want the german synch. It basically leaves me with the option of streaming, or waiting another 6 months for a hard copy, that costs an easy 90$ / season here.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Switzerland gets 90% of it's TV from Germany, which get's most of the stuff 6-12months later, because it has to be synched.

Now I do not want to wait 6 months extra for the new TBBT, nor do I want the german synch. It basically leaves me with the option of streaming, or waiting another 6 months for a hard copy, that costs an easy 90$ / season here.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I experience the same thing when I wanted to try and buy a copy of Fullmetal Alchamist Brotherhood, it was severely overpriced.

Region encoding should be banned... it's pure evil. Especially on the internet  <_<

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

That is exactly what I am talking about. I experience the same thing when I wanted to try and buy a copy of Fullmetal Alchamist Brotherhood, it was severely overpriced.

Animes are even worse. I order most of my animes to a friends house in the US when I go visit.

For example: Slayers Try season 3, about 20$ on Animenation, about 150$ here, and really hard to find -.- I mean c'mon, what is this shit?

I never understood that, all the movies and shows etc are redone in german why not just keep it english and add subtitles like most of the world (no hate ofcourse)

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

Animes are even worse. I order most of my animes to a friends house in the US when I go visit.

For example: Slayers Try season 3, about 20$ on Animenation, about 150$ here, and really hard to find -.- I mean c'mon, what is this shit?

It's so expensive it's not worth it. Not to mention for anime, some don't even get hard copies. Either that or you have to wait a year or more for it to have a hard copy. Things like Crunchyroll should be made available worldwide

I never understood that, all the movies and shows etc are redone in german why not just keep it english and add subtitles like most of the world (no hate ofcourse)

Some people prefer to watch the show full on without getting distracted by subs. But you are right it is faster and cheaper. And at times the dubbed is just horrible and makes the show not worth watching

VPN

60$

fixes everything

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Me neither. Perhaps because german is the most spoken language in Europe? Really don't know. The only things I watch in german is Simpsons [been watching Simpsons since I was about 2 yrs old] and Buffy [been watching Buffy since it hit the TV] because I simply cannot get used to the original dub, as I have been watching them in german all my life ^^

But yes I agree with you, read subtitles or learn english or gtfo.

I recently read an article that the 8-16 yo actually consider reading subtitles as work, and therefore do not go to the movies that are not dubbed.

Seriously? I am really pissed that some movies [luckily in Switzerland it's a minority] do not even get here in the original dub when going to the cinema.

Some people prefer to watch the show full on without getting distracted by subs. But you are right it is faster and cheaper. And at times the dubbed is just horrible and makes the show not worth watching

I was really happy if that worked.

SF2 [schweizer Fernsehn 2 -> Swiss TV 2] actually has an option on shows like Scrubs and Simpsons to switch to english.

Same's true in Italian where I live. not only does it take longer, but it's way worse and I can speak/understand both English and Italian so it's not like I'm not going to notice the difference in quality.

Me neither. Perhaps because german is the most spoken language in Europe? Really don't know. The only things I watch in german is Simpsons [been watching Simpsons since I was about 2 yrs old] and Buffy [been watching Buffy since it hit the TV] because I simply cannot get used to the original dub, as I have been watching them in german all my life ^^

But yes I agree with you, read subtitles or learn english or gtfo.

I recently read an article that the 8-16 yo actually consider reading subtitles as work, and therefore do not go to the movies that are not dubbed.

Seriously? I am really pissed that some movies [luckily in Switzerland it's a minority] do not even get here in the original dub when going to the cinema.

I was really happy if that worked.

SF2 [schweizer Fernsehn 2 -> Swiss TV 2] actually has an option on shows like Scrubs and Simpsons to switch to english.

I'm glad you agree with me. It's happening in The Netherlands too, all the kids shows from nickelodeon and Disney channel are now dutch. I learned most of my english watching the oldschool cartoons that actually were english. They dont air those shows anymore so most young people here have a lot of trouble with english because of this.

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

you can use webproxy and copy user id of other country on both those webs but i know how you feel bro here in Egypt Crunchyroll do the same shit while i got a prem account -.-''

I'm glad you agree with me. It's happening in The Netherlands too, all the kids shows from nickelodeon and Disney channel are now dutch. I learned most of my english watching the oldschool cartoons that actually were english. They dont air those shows anymore so most young people here have a lot of trouble with english because of this.

I feel that these kids shows should be subbed in the native language an dubbed in English. That way you kill two birds with one stone. You learn English and your native language

That's another sideeffect of it, people were taught english in a young age. And no matter how hard any hardcore language-conservatists rant right now, english is the language spoken all over the world and especially in business, so it cannot harm to learn it asap.

I use a region changer to listen to Pandora radio.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

You can simply use a VPN to get Netflix etc. in such countries am I right? However that may be a tedious process for some and yes, region locks are extremely annoying.

I've never pirated a game in my life, shows however, I pirate them all. 

You can simply use a VPN to get Netflix etc. in such countries am I right? However that may be a tedious process for some and yes, region locks are extremely annoying.

I've never pirated a game in my life, shows however, I pirate them all. 

That's exactly what I do with Netflix, just get on a VPN and enjoy the shows.

I used to watch anime on Animax, which was the only anime tv spot in India, and now its gone :( Why can't our government just understand that parents need to control watch the kid watches on anime and leave certain channels alone.

PS- If you think thats bad, the last time I went for a movie and there was a guy smoking in one scene, a giant banner came up which hogged up 10% of the screen saying ''smoking is bad for health and causes cancer'' or something like that. Seriously?!? :angry:

PC in Profile

I don't feel bad about people using a vpn to watch a netflix subscription. Also about dling tv shows if they pay for the channels the show is on in their cable package. I don't know how I feel about dling current shows that haven't played on tv yet.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Good day or evening to all who read this forum post. Many of you who come here today may be from America or Canada and have the prevelidge of having Netflix, Crunchyroll and other legal streaming websites. You enjoy the near limitless amounts of entertainment you can receive from these websites.

Unfortunately for me, I cannot enjoy such benefits. I live in Singapore and the problem here is that when I try to go to Netflix or Crunchyroll to watch a show legally, I cannot. This forces me to either go to illegal streaming sites or even torrent which as convenient as it is, is not what I wish to do. I would love to support the production studios by watching their shows legally or just outright paying for a hard copy. But as I said before, it is near impossible for me to do so.

Thank you for your time.

You can use hotspot shield. it's a free VPN service, but you can pay to connect to other servers around the world (not needed).

It defaults to AMERICA, so you can watch netflix in singapore using this software. It is really good and works well! I suggest you try it! I've tried it and it works, even though we have Netflix here in the UK