What's your Religion

nicon

1456.gif

Seriously. This shit has been going on since page 4. Enough is enough

It's not enough. This ASSHAT has been attacking my girlfriend.

It's my turn to throw some punches.

Forgive me father, for I will sin...

1456.gif

Seriously. This shit has been going on since page 4. Enough is enough

its a conversation about religion on the internet.

what did you expect? xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

honey please dont...

more fuel for the fire if we take this in an offensive stance rather than a defensive.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Hey, this is a forum.  Burger has been holding her own here.  Although I like the concern, it is not necessary.  No one really wants to hurt anyone else in here... even though it may sound like it at times.  ^_^

You understand what opinion means...

You're a complete waste of time to talk to, i might as well just sit in an echo chamber or talk to a wall.

That's enough out of you. I'm tired of your bigotry, and more importantly the fact that you are beating up on my girlfriend.

THIS BLOODY NUMBSKULL ASSHAT THINKS THAT IT IS OKAY TO ATTACK SOMEONE BASED ON RELIGEON?

IT'S MY TURN!

Ever wonder why atheist has been an insult for the last, oh, 500 years?

It's because of nutsacs like this guy who think that their precious science is never wrong!

You have ZED proof of tbe lack of tbe existance of God! You deny but never offer a shred of evidence!

I in turn have studied cosmology all this year, and have founf an ABUNDANCE of evidence to support my viewpoint.

Care to challenge me? Or are you afraid to take on someone who's just plain smarter than you?

@OlekKing

To claim that a big bang is the origin of the universe is a grave misunderstanding of cosmology sir, the big bang describes an effect of the creation of the universe, not a cause. The causation of this universe is still up for grabs, and currently the only theory that provides an answer to this is theism. Furthermore, recent archeological findings point to the Bible, our holy book, as being accurate to it's timing, as we have compared customs, culture, and even currency. I must say that your blind faith is rather crude, and I do not appreciate you attacking my girlfriend like you are. I give you two choices: leave now, or ignore my warning and face reporting for: christophobia and bigotry. I can and WILL bring this issue to mod's attention. 

Show those findings. How would its "timings" - whatever the hell that means - contribute to prove anything?

The Bible has been analyzed, dissected and rebutted hundreds of times already, its inconsistencies have been shown hundreds of times if not more, it is not even considered a reliable historical source by the majority of historians... 

I never said that the Big Bang is the cause, the singularity is the origin and birth of the Universe. I do not claim i know what caused it, but you do.

"your blind faith is rather crude" That's intellectual dishonesty, faith is the belief in something without evidence, precisely what you do.

Theism is not a theory and does not provide any real answer...yet again intellectual dishonesty.

Try to threaten me again with reports and you'll be the one in trouble, friend.

"christophobia and bigotry" That is pathetic. That's how you deal with people you don't like? Try to get rid of them on the basis of false accusations? You're the real bigot here who is threatening to silence me, disgusting really. You're free to preach all of that crap and i'm not here threatening or even wanting to silence you.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Show those findings. How would its "timings" - whatever the hell that means - contribute to prove anything?

The Bible has been analyzed, dissected and rebutted hundreds of times already, its inconsistencies have been shown hundreds of times if not more, it is not even considered a reliable historical source by the majority of historians... 

I never said that the Big Bang is the cause, the singularity is the origin and birth of the Universe. I do not claim i know what caused it, but you do.

"your blind faith is rather crude" That's intellectual dishonesty, faith is the belief in something without evidence, precisely what you do.

Theism is not a theory and does not provide any real answer...yet again intellectual dishonesty.

"christophobia and bigotry" That is pathetic. That's how you deal with people you don't like? Try to get rid of them on the basis of false accusations? You're the real bigot here who is threatening to silence me, disgusting really. You're free to preach all of that crap and i'm not here threatening or even wanting to silence you.

Heh, that's not what I've been seeing from you.

Care to take on the mind of someone greater?

That's enough out of you. I'm tired of your bigotry, and more importantly the fact that you are beating up on my girlfriend.

THIS BLOODY NUMBSKULL ASSHAT THINKS THAT IT IS OKAY TO ATTACK SOMEONE BASED ON RELIGEON?

IT'S MY TURN!

It's because of nutsacs like this guy who think that their precious science is never wrong!

You have ZED proof of tbe lack of tbe existance of God! You deny but never offer a shred of evidence!

I in turn have studied cosmology all this year, and have founf an ABUNDANCE of evidence to support my viewpoint.

Care to challenge me? Or are you afraid to take on someone who's just plain smarter than you?

Look I kind of suspected that you were kidding in the first post but you've outed yourself with these last ones.

You're a very funny guy.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I can appreciate the act of chivalry, but trust me, discussing religion over the internet accomplishes nothing. I know this for personal experience. Getting personal about it won't help I'm afraid :(

Believe me, going on like that will only drive you crazy and create tensions in the forum. Bail before it's too late :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

he's not ''dealing with people he doesnt like''

although jack may seem like he's attackign you, (and yes im going to sound racist, suck it up. the world is messed up) he is both texan and irish. they kinda tend to do that.

he is defending me, he is doing this out of care. not out of anger.

-Jim Hensen

Look I kind of suspected that you were kidding in the first post but you've outed yourself with these last ones.

You're a very funny guy.

Care to explain to me WHY the universe has created itself?

LOL'ed.

Can you elaborate on the part I bolded? I understand what you mean, but don't quite see how that's true in America today.

bolding doesnt usually show up well on most displays.

try changing size or italicizing? i guess???

-Jim Hensen

IT'S MY TURN!

Hahaha i'm still hoping you're playing an act buddy, but hey, go ahead and give me the said abundance of evidence.

By the way, you should be familiar with the concept of burden of proof, you're making the the positive claim so you have to provide the evidence, i have never said that there is no deity out there, i merely said that the possibility is so small that i can just dismiss and ignore it. But i'm never said that i believe there is no such thing.

You sure are confident and how smart you are, good for you buddy, have a pat on the back! Keep reinforcing that idea of yours by repeatedly telling us all how much of a smarty-pants you are!

Never said that Science isn't ever wrong, that's what you're putting in my mouth, being wrong and admitting is a fundamental part of Science, otherwise there wouldn't be any progress, which is what happens with religious texts, they are held as the ultimate truth even after being shown to be wrong.

the universe cant just... ''happen''

trees dont ''just grow'' seeds are planted.

water doesnt ''just flow'' gravity makes it.

keys on a keyboard erent, ''just pressed''some one presses them.

there is always a cause before an effect. @OlekKing

care to tell us what cause the effect? (effect being that explosion in the big bang theory)

-Jim Hensen

Hahaha i'm still hoping you're playing an act buddy, but hey, go ahead and give me the said abundance of evidence.

By the way, you should be familiar with the concept of burden of proof, you're making the the positive claim so you have to provide the evidence, i have never said that there is no deity out there, i merely said that the possibility is so small that i can just dismiss and ignore it. But i'm never said that i believe there is no such thing.

You sure are confident and how smart you are, good for you buddy, have a pat on the back! Keep reinforcing that idea of yours by repeatedly telling us all how much of a smarty-pants you are!

Never said that Science isn't ever wrong, that's what you're putting in my mouth, being wrong and admitting is a fundamental part of Science, otherwise there wouldn't be any progress, which is what happens with religious texts, they are held as the ultimate truth even after being shown to be wrong.

Oh boy, this guy doesnt like when his own tactics are turned against him, does he?

give the man a break... he's worried for the girl he loves.... >.> jeez.... he wouldnt be here if it werent for me trusting in him being able to comfort me after the stress this whole thread put on me...

-Jim Hensen

Oh boy, this guy doesnt like when his own tactics are turned against him, does he?

nope. :P

-Jim Hensen

I find it hard to dedicate time in my life to praising an entity we have no proof of existence for. I get it, people like something to believe in, but I tend to believe things happen for logical reasons.

But then what's depressing is that science changes to much when we discover new things that in fifty years, we might see everything completely different. It's like we may never truly know how things work, and maybe we shouldn't.

EDIT - what I do hate is when people take a book written by who knows, and think it can dictate society and law. Let me shred the golden line "God hates homosexuality!" that so many right-wingers love to pull out of their archaic asses.

1. GOD? Really? You talk to him? Like, every day? If he told you he hated homosexuality, I'd love to see the texts.

2. If God loves all, according to the bible. Even the sinners! So if being gay even is a sin, we would still be accepted.

3. Why would God create beings who he 1) thinks are sinners and 2) thinks are ruining the 'sacred act of marriage' (even though half the US is divorced, so that's a point that would've worked well in the 50s, but not now).

4. I love it when (SOME!) men act like pigs and sexualize, cat-call and humiliate women, but then if someone even just looks at them, it's so terrible, and WHY would they do that? How rude! And they're so arrogant to think that they're the most wonderful man alive, so all gay men will be breaking into their homes and trying to force themselves on them. Ah, no.

This basically boils down to how the bible also condones beating women and flipping tables of merchants who are on temple grounds, but we don't talk about that. Like so many other things, people in this special category of assholes like to take one part literally, and the rest is just filler.

Do you? Nobody holds the answer to that. And Scientists are honest enough to admit. Did you think that was some sort of GOTCHA! question?

One line of reasoning is that this spontaneous origination of time and space is a natural consequence of quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that applies to atoms and subatomic particles, and it is characterized by Werner Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, according to which sudden and unpredictable fluctuations occur in all observable quantities. Quantum fluctuations are not caused by anything -- they are genuinely spontaneous and intrinsic to nature at its deepest level.

For example, take a collection of Uranium atoms undergoing radioactive decay due to quantum processes in their nuclei. There will be a definite time period, the half-life, after which half the nuclei should have decayed. But according to Heisenberg it is not possible, even in principle, to predict when a particular nucleus will decay. If you ask, having seen a particular nucleus decay, why the decay event happened at that moment rather than some other, there is no deeper reason, no underlying set of causes, that explains it. It just happens.

The key step for cosmogenesis is to apply this same idea not just to matter, but to space and time as well. Because space-time is an aspect of gravitation, this entails applying quantum theory to the gravitational field of the universe. The application of quantum mechanics to a field is fairly routine for physicists, though it is true that there are special technical problems associated with the gravitational case that have yet to be resolved. The quantum theory of the origin of the universe therefore rests on shaky ground.

In spite of these technical obstacles, one may say quite generally that once space and time are made subject to quantum principles, the possibility immediately arises of space and time “switching on,” or popping into existence, without the need for prior causation, entirely in accordance with the laws of quantum physics.

the universe cant just... ''happen''

trees dont ''just grow'' seeds are planted.

water doesnt ''just flow'' gravity makes it.

keys on a keyboard erent, ''just pressed''some one presses them.

there is always a cause before an effect. @OlekKing

care to tell us what cause the effect? (effect being that explosion in the big bang theory)

For me personally, the beauty of science is that every discovery leads to another question (directly or indirectly). 

The difference between theism and science is that the questions science poses are a lot of the time answered, leading to further questions.  It is progressive.  Religion does not suffer from the same progression.

Do you? Nobody holds the answer to that. And Scientists are honest enough to admit. Did you think that was some sort of GOTCHA! question?

nope.

while jack may be trying to prove his beliefs true, and i am not (our faiths differ slightly) i will say this.

atheists admit that they dont know it.

thiests admit that thay dont know it, however have a good guess if you look at it logically. no, science cant prove anything science cant prove. and proving an entity has a soul is impossible with science as far as we currently know.

its just something we're placing into our lives so that we feel better about the fact that one day our bodies that we once loved will be rotting underground. 

-Jim Hensen

Not just the Hebrews (Gen. 6–8), but Mesopotamians, Egyptians, and Greeks all report a flood in primordial times. A Sumerian king list from c. 2100 BC divides itself into two categories: those kings who ruled before a great flood and those who ruled after it. One of the earliest examples of Sumero-Akkadian-Babylonian literature, the Gilgamesh Epic, describes a great flood sent as punishment by the gods, with humanity saved only when the pious Utnapishtim (AKA, “the Mesopotamian Noah”) builds a ship and saves the animal world thereon. A later Greek counterpart, the story of Deucalion and Phyrra, tells of a couple who survived a great flood sent by an angry Zeus. Taking refuge atop Mount Parnassus (AKA, “the Greek Ararat”), they supposedly repopulated the earth by heaving stones behind them that sprang into human beings.

This seven-foot black diorite stele, discovered at Susa and presently located in the Louvre museum, contains 282 engraved laws of Babylonian King Hammurabi (fl. 1750 BC). The common basis for this law code is the lex talionis (“the law of the tooth”), showing that there was a common Semitic law of retribution in the ancient Near East, which is clearly reflected in the Pentateuch. Exodus 21:23–25, for example, reads: “But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot…” (niv).

The some 20,000 cuneiform clay tablets discovered at the ruins of Nuzi, east of the Tigris River and datable to c. 1500 BC, reveal institutions, practices, and customs remarkably congruent to those found in Genesis. These tablets include treaties, marriage arrangements, rules regarding inheritance, adoption, and the like.

In addition to Jericho, places such as Haran, Hazor, Dan, Megiddo, Shechem, Samaria, Shiloh, Gezer, Gibeah, Beth Shemesh, Beth Shean, Beersheba, Lachish, and many other urban sites have been excavated, quite apart from such larger and obvious locations as Jerusalem or Babylon. Such geographical markers are extremely significant in demonstrating that fact, not fantasy, is intended in the Old Testament historical narratives; otherwise, the specificity regarding these urban sites would have been replaced by “Once upon a time” narratives with only hazy geographical parameters, if any.

Israel’s enemies in the Hebrew Bible likewise are not contrived but solidly historical. Among the most dangerous of these were the Philistines, the people after whom Palestine itself would be named. Their earliest depiction is on the Temple of Rameses III at Thebes, c. 1150 BC, as “peoples of the sea” who invaded the Delta area and later the coastal plain of Canaan. The Pentapolis (five cities) they established — namely Ashkelon, Ashdod, Gaza, Gath, and Ekron — have all been excavated, at least in part, and some remain cities to this day. Such precise urban evidence measures favorably when compared with the geographical sites claimed in the holy books of other religious systems, which often have no basis whatever in reality.

For me personally, the beauty of science is that every discovery leads to another question (directly or indirectly). 

The difference between theism and science is that the questions science poses are a lot of the time answered, leading to further questions.  It is progressive.  Religion does not suffer from the same progression.

assuming what i just read is what i think it is, i agree. :D 

what im waiting for is for science to finally have one of its biggest questions answered. :)

-Jim Hensen