It's Time For Samsung To Buy AMD, And AMD Should Let It (Op-Ed)

GrantSor+1

Original Article : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-amd-win-win-acquisition,28403.html#xtor=RSS-998

What will happen if samsung where to buy AMD? Will samsung be the key for amd to go head-to-head against Intel and Nvidia?

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

I don't think it'd be a bad idea, but... It would take a long time for them to compete against Intel mostly.

They're not that far behind Nvidia

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

is samsung even interested in the CPU/GPU market that isnt mobile?  we need AMD without AMD intel would just have their way with everyone.. personally i dont think Intel would let AMD go under better to have an under performing competitor than deal with no competitor at all

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Oh god!, what if Catalyst gets skinned with TouchWiz 

NPtgI5q.gif

I think that the assumptions made about AMDs situation in this arcticle are incorrect.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Samsung wouldn't really bring anything good to the table for amd... they don't have better manufacturing nodes or architectures. Of course they have a lot of money to invest in r&d, but at that point why would they buy a company if they could just r&d their own x86 cpus? (assuming they can get the patent on license)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think that the assumptions made about AMDs situation in this arcticle are incorrect.

You'd be wrong. AMD is losing marketshare across the board and losing revenues very quickly. If Zen and the 300 series GPUs are not smash hit market dominators, AMD's financials will be absolutely irrecoverable. IBM, Samsung, Qualcomm, or maybe Texas Instruments would have to buy them up and give them the capital to get back onto solidly competing ground.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Samsung wouldn't really bring anything good to the table for amd... they don't have better manufacturing nodes or architectures. Of course they have a lot of money to invest in r&d, but at that point why would they buy a company if they could just r&d their own x86 cpus? (assuming they can get the patent on license)

Um, Samsung is second in manufacturing only to Intel. Global Foundries is depending on Samsung's nodes for 14nm if you didn't know. And Samsung can't R&D it's own x86 CPUs. Intel has only sold licenses to those it has to like AMD and VIA. Intel refused to sell to Nvidia for instance.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They'd do something shit like add TouchWiz to a chipset or some shit like that.

Or make that the default BIOS interface.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Or make that the default BIOS interface.

Yeah, but that's more the manufacturer

inb4 Samsung creates a new ToC that the BIOS HAS to have TouchWiz

Yeah, but that's more the manufacturer

inb4 Samsung creates a new ToC that the BIOS HAS to have TouchWiz

Don't give me nightmares.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Um, Samsung is second in manufacturing only to Intel. Global Foundries is depending on Samsung's nodes for 14nm if you didn't know. And Samsung can't R&D it's own x86 CPUs. Intel has only sold licenses to those it has to like AMD and VIA. Intel refused to sell to Nvidia for instance.

nvidia wanted to buy x86?  :blink:

It's true that samsung has a good node, but amd can get its hands on it anyway through global foundries, right?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't give me nightmares.

I haven't even gotten started.

This article is bad. It's more like a fanfiction. Samsung will give billions to AMD then AMD will make a superCPU and kick Intel's ass... ugh...

Why would Samsung buy AMD? The reasons given are either huge assumptions like AMD being able to make a really good ARM CPU because they made x86 CPUs before or downright nonsense like Samsung needing AMD to get into the server market.

Samsung doesn't need AMD to do anything they want, especially considering they would need to pay billions to acquire AMD. They can take their time and do it on their own. They aren't losing money so they have no need to hurry.

Also x86 licence transfer thing won't be that painless, probably Intel will prolong the matter and the market will be left without competition for years.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Perhaps for their SoCs.

Hmm, was thinking to post this yday but it was just some so called idea opinion that looked click bait, so I didn't bother.

Anyway, AMD is in this indefinite position atm but there is no need for anything mentioned in that article for that reason. We just need to see what will they bring in next years and how their earnings will be so they can invest it in tech.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Oh god!, what if Catalyst gets skinned with TouchWiz

Lmao oh god

No. Just no

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I haven't even gotten started.

Me during the nightmare. Without a computer obviously.

I+_f78d7c8f8f24bf5a5877a7410e71a03d.jpg

And suddenly Apple jumps around the corner and snatches AMD. :lol:

They have money to burn for eternity, anyway.

The x86 license of AMD is pretty much non transferable, so I have no idea how that will work out for them.

Point 6.3

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/50863/000005086309000213/exh101.htm

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

It seems like the person who wrote this article on AMD is missing a lot of key factors. AMD's biggest problem is the amount of debt they have on the books. AMD has so much debt, no company in their right mind would buy AMD. Current AMD valuation is 4 per share and AMD has at least 2 billion in debt. Looking from M&A(Mergers and acquisitions) point of view. Avoid AMD like the plague. If amd fell on bad times the US government  will bail them out. But amd valuation will improve greatly over the years to come.

I would be more afraid of NVDA outlook going forward.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

It's true that samsung has a good node, but amd can get its hands on it anyway through global foundries, right?

Nvidia was originally the GPU company AMD wanted to work with, but nvidia said they would only join if they became the controlling party.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R