Best programming language to learn

iHammmy

Hello,

In September I will start my Computer Science classes in school and I was just wondering if there is any programming languages, tips or tricks that I could start to learn before the class that will help me?

I already know abit on HTML if that helps?

I am also doing this in the UK, if that info is needed.

Thanks in advance,

~ Harry

EDIT - I think I want to persue a carrer in Computer Sercurity or something along them lines, or programming of some sort. :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

It depends. What is it you want to do?

There is no "best".

It depends. What is it you want to do?

Just added it into the post :)

There is no "best".

Most helpful then? :)

Most helpful then? :)

There is no "most helpful" one. What language will you learn on that course?

Javascript fits very well with HTML.

I'd recommend learning Python.

Python is quite good to learn, and I'm guessing it would be good to learn Java

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

There is no "most helpful" one. What language will you learn on that course?

Unsure, sorry

Python is quite good to learn, and I'm guessing it would be good to learn Java

Javascript fits very well with HTML.

I'd recommend learning Python.

3.4.2 or 2.7.9? :)

ask what one you learn on your course if any, and practice that one.

python is nice to learn and you can grab a rasberry pi to practice on.

also learning C++ is probably the more difficult but is very good language. (although not used too much in alot of things)

3.4.2 or 2.7.9? :)

3.4.2 fixes many bugs within the previous versions. 

I'd learn Python to a intermediate level. Once you have this knowledge learning a language such as C will be more straightforward. For cyber security you will likely need basic knowledge of C.

For my apprenticeship I was required to have basic knowledge of the aspects and variables of C++ within the Visual Basic environment.  

I've almost finished the course in Computer Science in the UK. You will learn EVERY thing about the code you are going to be using in the control assessments so don't really worry about it. It'll either be python or, most likely, small basic(NOT visual basics). PM if you want more info on the course :)

-BUILD-

CPU: INTEL I5 4690K GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE 970 G1 2.5GB CASE: NZXT S340|BLACK MOBO: MSI Z97S KRAIT EDITION CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i 

RAM: HYPERX FURY 2X4GB|WHITE PSU: CORSAIR RM850 850W FULLY MODULAR STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE HDD OS: WINDOWS 8.1

Unsure, sorry

Try with C, Python, Java.

not all just one :P

I would not recommend C++ for beginning.

I've almost finished the course in Computer Science in the UK. You will learn EVERY thing about the code you are going to be using in the control assessments so don't really worry about it. It'll either be python or, most likely, small basic(NOT visual basics). PM if you want more info on the course :)

Perhaps C++. Are there any programs you know of what you are gonna use? (Like Flash or Unity3d or anything else?)

It might be a good idea to learn some CSS, Javascript and maybe PHP. Just so you are perfectly able to make a website.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

People always forget about Small Basic. It's a pretty solid high level language for beginners(made by the same people as Visual Basic) with super easy to read statements and code; it's basically English! It's now where near as powerful as Java or C++ but it still uses the same fundamentals of coding. 100% recommend looking into.

-BUILD-

CPU: INTEL I5 4690K GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE 970 G1 2.5GB CASE: NZXT S340|BLACK MOBO: MSI Z97S KRAIT EDITION CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i 

RAM: HYPERX FURY 2X4GB|WHITE PSU: CORSAIR RM850 850W FULLY MODULAR STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE HDD OS: WINDOWS 8.1

A language is just a tool, you have to choose the right tool for the job. For computer security you would probably be using C# or C++ and possibly assembly (or more likely the basics of it). For computer security you would really have to know how a computer works, a great way to do this is to code some hacks for video games (this is where assembly comes in). This doesn't mean going and ruining other peoples experience, this means going into a single player match and just messing around with some bots. 

I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this answer.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Definitely anything that starts with a C :)

Helprace - all-in-one customer service software

I started qith C++ and now doing C# and learning it. I like both really much and would recommend both of them. IMHO you should start doing basics in C++ then change to C#, because the.NET is awesome :)

Hope it helped

Start off with C++. You'll learn a lot of important concepts that will be useful in other languages. Plus C++ is arguably the most used language in the world due to its high performance and maturity. 

Start off with this tutorial, http://www.learncpp.com

Don't waste money on a book, just do that tutorial. You can learn the mumbo jumbo when you start school. Besides the best way to learn how to program is to actually program instead of reading a 800 page book.

Hey iHammy!

I'm actually at the end of my Computer Systems - Network Security and Administration degree (I finish in April), and if you're interested in computer security, C is a must. Understanding low level code is pretty essential in application vulnerabilities, plus, it gives you a strong background to work with. Another higher level language (Python, Ruby, Lua, or Perl) is really good to know too, so you can start scripting tasks, and other stuff. Ruby is pretty widely used in security because of the Metasploit framework, so that might be a good one to pick up. 

All that being said, so long as you understand the basics, jumping from language to language (in the simplest sense), takes only a few days. Find one you like, and stick with it!

I'd recommend you start with C. Most people will tell you to avoid C because pointers or scary or some BS like that, but the most you'll ever need to do with pointers when learning the basics is pass arrays between functions.

IMO, it really helps to have something really simple, so you can understand and see what's happening for yourself.

I'm in my final year of my Computer Games Programming degree and I would say C# if you want an easier time, or C++ if you really want the nitty gritty. C#, Java and other high level languages really hide what's going on behind the scenes and that stuff is essential if you want to really understand computers, especially for security.

Given your age, I would say C#. Not saying young people can't program well, quite the contrary, you learn better when you are younger. But I know I would say fuck c++ and go with c# when I was like 13 :P