Laptop to choose for College

BobbyBeep

Hello! I am BobbyBeep. I am currently preparing for college and am choosing these two laptops to bring with me. I'll be buying one of them of course, and currently I have difficulties choose which of them. As I also travel alot, I'll be using it to be my portable gaming laptop. 

Here are the specs and prices of the laptops:

- Acer VN7-571G-789S

Intel Core i7-4510U Processor

Windows 8.1

8GB Ram / 1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX850M 4GB GD3
15.6 FHD LED Display
DVD Super-Multi Drive
2.4kg

​= SGD$1498.00

- Lenovo Y40

Intel Core i7-4510U Processor

Windows 8.1

8GB Ram/1TB HDD

AMD R9 M270 (4G VRAM)

14 FHD Display

2.2kg

= SGD$1299.00

Thanks in advance for helping me decide!
(Also, I'm sorry if this thread is a little bit too long and if my grammar is just horrible to read.)

I would go with the Acer one

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I would go for Acer since it has IPS panel and more powerful gpu. Also 15 inch 1080p is possible to use without any scaling, 14 inch fhd is pretty hard to use without scaling.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

They're awfully heavy

Ever considered a MacBook Air, Surface Pro 3 or MacBook Pro? I know they're not for gaming, but a heavy laptop is always a bad thing when you're lugging it about all day.

Compatible with Windows 95

They're awfully heavy

Ever considered a MacBook Air, Surface Pro 3 or MacBook Pro? I know they're not for gaming, but a heavy laptop is always a bad thing when you're lugging it about all day.

15 inch macbook pro is 2kg.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I am currently in the same boat and I am looking to get myself a VN7-571G-55ZA.

That will be with an i5, 840M and 1TB HDD, though it has another M.2 Slot for SSDs.

One thing that is really compelling about the Acer one is the Battery Life. I personally don't want a Notebook that will be out of battery in a matter of 2 hours when I'm only surfing. I have read reviews of that specific one I am going to buy where they've managed over 8 hours of batterylife in their tests.

I will leave you the link, but it's German. I do trust their judgement, as they're reviewing an awful lot of notebooks.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Update-Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-571G-56NX-Notebook.127257.0.html

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

How's Acer's build quality like nowadays? I was buying one recently for a client and it didn't seem that good.

Plural of PC is PCs, not PC's. Plural of CPU is CPUs, not CPU's. Plural of LED is LEDs, not LED's.

You can build computers really well, not real good.

I'm in Singapore too. Where you buying from? I might be able to find better deals.

Buying at either Best Denki or Challenger! 

How's Acer's build quality like nowadays? I was buying one recently for a client and it didn't seem that good.

That is a problem I have seen too. A couple of friends bought Acer laptops (form 300 to 800$) and every one of them has had issues.

I do not trust Acer for anything other than my tablet on which I do not have to rely on.

15 inch macbook pro is 2kg.

I didn't suggest the 15" one tho :P

Compatible with Windows 95

Buying at either Best Denki or Challenger! 

Look at all the possible places like Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Challanger, Courts

but avoid AudioHouse

and what is your max budget?

is there a need for the laptops with GPU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I am currently in the same boat and I am looking to get myself a VN7-571G-55ZA.

That will be with an i5, 840M and 1TB HDD, though it has another M.2 Slot for SSDs.

One thing that is really compelling about the Acer one is the Battery Life. I personally don't want a Notebook that will be out of battery in a matter of 2 hours when I'm only surfing. I have read reviews of that specific one I am going to buy where they've managed over 8 hours of batterylife in their tests.

I will leave you the link, but it's German. I do trust their judgement, as they're reviewing an awful lot of notebooks.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Update-Acer-Aspire-V-15-Nitro-VN7-571G-56NX-Notebook.127257.0.html

Thanks for the link! But I prefer an i7 since I will be doing some photoshop and maybe some video editing

Look at all the possible places like Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Challanger, Courts

but avoid AudioHouse

and what is your max budget?

is there a need for the laptops with GPU?

My max budget is $1500!

I need a laptop with a GPU since I will also be using this laptop for travelling. Since I will be bored during the trip, I be entertaining myself with the laptop with offline games. I don't think integrated GPUs can handle the games I mostly play

Thanks for the link! But I prefer an i7 since I will be doing some photoshop and maybe some video editing

Yeah, butthe one you picked is the exact same series, just with an i7, as far as I am aware. I just wanted to point out that the batterylife is apparently pretty damn good.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

My max budget is $1500!

I need a laptop with a GPU since I will also be using this laptop for travelling. Since I will be bored during the trip, I be entertaining myself with the laptop with offline games. I don't think integrated GPUs can handle the games I mostly play

I will suggest looking at the Asus laptops models

most model will be under your 1500 budget which either use i7 4510U Dual Core or i7 4700QM CPU with nVidia GPU

but most of the GPU are budget type with uses DDR3 so dont expect them to play Crysis 3 at 1080P

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yeah, butthe one you picked is the exact same series, just with an i7, as far as I am aware. I just wanted to point out that the batterylife is apparently pretty damn good.

I will suggest looking at the Asus laptops models

most model will be under your 1500 budget which either use i7 4510U Dual Core or i7 4700QM CPU with nVidia GPU

but most of the GPU are budget type with uses DDR3 so dont expect them to play Crysis 3 at 1080P

Thanks for the informations!

That Acer unit is sold out according to Challenger's website. But available at Best Denki.

Couldn't find anything better for $1500 on either website.

Between those two, the GTX 850M is the superior GPU. The smaller 14" Lenovo is fine if its also 1080p.

Yup! Buying at Best Denki since I saw it in the store!

Ok I just realized the Acer model has a 768p screen.

The Lenovo is 1080p.

So I say fuck the Acer and its between the Lenovo and the Dell 5548.

I'd pick the Dell for the Broadwell processor. Takes even less power and has a superior IGPU. Larger screen with touch capability.

yea the deal breaker is usually the 768P screens for the 15.6 inch screen laptops for Acer

Ok I just realized the Acer model has a 768p screen.

The Lenovo is 1080p.

So I say fuck the Acer and its between the Lenovo and the Dell 5548.

I'd pick the Dell for the Broadwell processor. Takes even less power and has a superior IGPU. Larger screen with touch capability.

Is the AMD Radeon R7 M270 good for games like Pay Day 2 / CS:GO with acceptable frame rates at medium/high?

I'm not really good at AMD products  :P