To Windows 10 or to not?

Ariona

Just a simple question.  It looks like the Tech Preview is fairly stable and it has a lot of great new features  and currently I'm getting random blue screens on 8.1 every few days as is.  

Win 10 should just be a small upgrade to windows 8 with a few new features, nothing special

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

If you have problems on Win 8.1

We cannot be sure if the problems will go away with Win 10

just hold off until Win 10 is official

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Give it a test and see if it works fine for you.

I'll probably install the consumer preview of Win 10 as my daily driver, as I did with Win 8. 

I have it installed on both of my machines, both with completely different systems. One has an overclocked i7-2600K and a 7970, the other has a Trinity APU. Windows 10 has been completely stable on both of them for me. If you hated metro, then this is a good OS. It registers on CCleaner as Windows 8.1, so it hasn't been given any real overhaul yet. I've had no problems with it. Asimov watching your every move can be a concern for some, but I don't really care about it. If I wanted to hack something, Windows is the last operating system I would be using anyway.

I'm going to wait till its finished. I can't do with the inevitable driver problems the preview will bring.

As soon its out, though, I'm getting it.

My main concern is: It better be either a free upgrade from my retail, full Windows 8.1, or a VERY low cost upgrade from it.

I have it installed on both of my machines, both with completely different systems. One has an overclocked i7-2600K and a 7970, the other has a Trinity APU. Windows 10 has been completely stable on both of them for me. If you hated metro, then this is a good OS. It registers on CCleaner as Windows 8.1, so it hasn't been given any real overhaul yet. I've had no problems with it. Asimov watching your every move can be a concern for some, but I don't really care about it. If I wanted to hack something, Windows is the last operating system I would be using anyway.

Waiiiiit wait wait wait....  Tracking, Every move? No way to opt out?  Built in Kinect 2 but allways on?!

Waiiiiit wait wait wait....  Tracking, Every move? No way to opt out?  Built in Kinect 2 but allways on?!

I think it's just for the preview, probably you'll be able to opt out with the finished product.

Asimov. I don't think it's malicious (though that sort of thinking is kind of questionable these days). Apparently it's an automated system that analyzes basic processes done on your computer so that Microsoft knows, at a basic level at least, what sort of applications people use their new operating system for (in my case, gaming, video encoding and Youtube) so that they can make optimizations in the finalized product based on that. It's just double-dip crowdsourcing, although it can be used to see activities in a lot more detail (but then I would point you to Google). From a surveillance standpoint, it would not be in Microsoft's best interests to do that, like, AT ALL, especially given their little pissing contest with the DoJ. I could be wrong though, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me at least. Tek Syndicate is testing it out, for one, so I feel safe in that it's not a totally stupid idea.

Enjoy it while you can, Cortana is going to be orders of magnitude more potentially invasive.

I think it's just for the preview, probably you'll be able to opt out with the finished product.

Now that you mention it, I did jump through a loophole in the installer whereby the installer won't ask to be connected to an account if you don't connect to the internet whilst installing. It just installs the software and you're good to go. There's no lock-down if you don't sign in and you can get rid of a lot of the feedback bloatware that comes with it.

Just wait until its fully released IMO

if you are getting blue screens then there is something wrong

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Blue screens means 2 things:

1- Driver bug (it can happen)

2- Hardware fault

3- Windows got corrupted (usually a virus/malware infection at some point in time that changed system files).

Knowing the Blue screen error message code (the one in all caps), will help us determine the problem.

If you know which driver the issue comes from, and uninstall them, restart and install the latest drivers, or try older drivers, and nothing helps, it could be hardware itself that crashes the drivers into a unrecoverable state and crashing the system..

Preview (Beta) release of Windows includes deep telemetry data collecting. This is nothing new to Windows previews. Microsoft does it to collect crash and system bugs to know exactly what was done and be able to replicate it, and also know how the system is used. The data is not collected to identify you. MS doesn't care. The data is collected in a database and processed by algorithms and gives a heat map based on criteria, or see the set of actions (where you clicked, what you run) that caused the crashed (you are usually not alone, they don't specifically look at you, it usually a regroupement of data).

While Microsoft doesn't care about identifying you, for legal reasons, as it could contain information to identify you, and someone could potentially hack Microsoft servers and collect telemetry data as potential scenario, despite Microsoft best efforts in protection of their servers and system, they set the age requirement to jump in the Preview to 18 by U.S law, to know the reprecaussions of doing privacy senstitive stuff under the OS. Say online backing. Microsoft DOES NOT, at least in the current builds, to use the OS as your main OS.

In addition, while Windows 10 is stable, and well tested on Microsoft sides, bad things can happen. And I mean data loss. Windows is an Operating Systems, it operate and manages your system. turning these peace of circuitry from a door stop to an actual computer that you can use and enjoy, it is a very complicated peace of software, in fact, the most complicated of all software, hence why it required several thousands of engineers working Windows itself. So when something bad happens, it can be bad. For example, in Windows 7 preview there was a bug that made the you loose all your data, permanently on your HDD, It pretty much did a format while you used your system, where the OS started to send invalid instructions to the HDD, with certain configurations. Windows 10 had a bug recently with Hybird-Drives causing data loss. That is the cost of using a beta OS, not to mention, be prepared for unexpected re-installs.

Microsoft offers beta versions to improve the quality of Windows at day 1 release, get user feedback to improve the OS. This is something that Microsoft is VERY actively doing with Windows 10 this time around, and so far, pretty much everything in high demand it is being followed, and everything in demand, is being considered. Also, you get to see/use the latest version of Windows before anyone else. So if you have a feature or ability you always wanted, now is the time to request it,

Currently, Windows 10 is the version of Windows with the most testers than any other version of Windows Previews.

Had win 10, had to go back to win 8.1, was getting wonky performance and weird stuff happening, dunno if the os was at fault but I have no idea what else it could be. 

That being said it will be a good os when its all ironed out and ready for release.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit