Better Processor Than AMD A10-5800K For Cheaper?

Is there a processor with better performance for the same or lower price? ($90.00 USD)

If oc'd, maybe the Pentium G3258...?

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Athlon x4 860K

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Pentium. 

If oc'd, maybe the Pentium G3258...?

nah man. dont even need the oc, trust me. Pentium beats any AMD cpu in the $70-$90 price bracket and dosent even need  overclocked. I havent oc'd my pentium yet and it still beasts compared to AMD cpus in the price range. 

nah man. dont even need the oc, trust me. Pentium beats any AMD cpu in the $70-$90 price bracket and dosent even need  overclocked. I havent oc'd my pentium yet and it still beasts compared to AMD cpus in the price range. 

Completely false. The only games the G3258 beats the X4 860k are PC games that heavily favor single-threaded performance and only run on 1 or 2 threads like blizzard games when tons of stuff is going on at once like a max supply SC2 battle, or a giant WoW raid.

Other than that, the completely crappy multi-threaded performance of the G3258 means it fails miserably at modern games. It's not a good buy these days.

Completely false. The only games the G3258 beats the X4 860k are PC games that heavily favor single-threaded performance and only run on 1 or 2 threads like blizzard games when tons of stuff is going on at once like a max supply SC2 battle, or a giant WoW raid.

Other than that, the completely crappy multi-threaded performance of the G3258 means it fails miserably at modern games. It's not a good buy these days.

Thats true but, you dont buy a G3258 to play the latest games, my Pentium is simply a place holder, an experiment as well. Testing the performance of such of cheap cpu, and seeing how it will hold up. With that in mind, he shouldnt be able to play the latest games with a cpu with the performance equal to or a small amount above an a10-5800k. 

Not true. The G3258 is a solid cpu for the money. Most things between it and the 760/860k are a toss up. The G3258 will run pretty much any game about the same or better than a the athlons. Also, intel has a much, much better upgrade path, has quick sync, and is cheaper. Also, day to day tasks will be more responsive on the G3258 because of the better single core performance.

I am getting really tired of people recommending the athlons because their "quad-core," but their not. It's more like hyper threading than actual cores.

Read this. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849.html

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

You do realize that the 750k is piledriver while the 860k is steamroller, right? Similar, but still different architectures. The 860k's multi-threaded performance definitely puts it over the top of the G3258. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely choose intel once you hit the i5 range and never pick an FX CPU, but for the ultra-budget category, I'd choose the X4 860k every time.

And they are quad-cores. They do come in pairs that share FPUs and Cache, but that's about it.

You do realize that the 750k is piledriver while the 860k is steamroller, right? Similar, but still different architectures. The 860k's multi-threaded performance definitely puts it over the top of the G3258. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely choose intel once you hit the i5 range and never pick an FX CPU, but for the ultra-budget category, I'd choose the X4 860k every time.

Piledriver and steamroller are pretty much the same archetecture, with steamroller having a few tweaks, mainly for power savings.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

I probably should have clarified this. I will mostly be playing games like CS:GO, modded Minecraft, and other not very difficult to run games. I'm also using a 750ti

Not true. The G3258 is a solid cpu for the money. Most things between it and the 760/860k are a toss up. The G3258 will run pretty much any game about the same or better than a the athlons. Also, intel has a much, much better upgrade path, has quick sync, and is cheaper. Also, day to day tasks will be more responsive on the G3258 because of the better single core performance.

I am getting really tired of people recommending the athlons because their "quad-core," but their not. It's more like hyper threading than actual cores.

Read this. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849.html

The athlons are quad cores.  Maybe week cores but still the hardware is there.  Some newer games will not even run if it doesn't see four or more threads so it is a legitimate recommendation. 

1 Timothy 1:15

I probably should have clarified this. I will mostly be playing games like CS:GO, modded Minecraft, and other not very difficult to run games. I'm also using a 750ti

do you have any parts yet or are you just looking?

Do you want to be able to upgrade in the future?

do you have any parts yet or are you just looking?

Do you want to be able to upgrade in the future?

I'm just looking right now but seriously interested in buying. 

I don't plan to get much more than a year or two out of it so not really.

If at all possible, try and buy an i3.  Its seriously the best budget processor.  An i3 + H81/B85 motherboard will cost you around $160, but it gives you incredible performance, and an upgrade path.

APU is very weak, and it makes even less sense when pairing it with a dedicated GPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The athlons are quad cores.  Maybe week cores but still the hardware is there.  Some newer games will not even run if it doesn't see four or more threads so it is a legitimate recommendation.

Well, IMO, if a game requires 4 thread for no apperent reason, *cough* far cry 4, then it is not worth buying. Especially with fc4, because it actually doesn't utilize all 4 threads it "requires."

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

I'm just looking right now but seriously interested in buying. 

I don't plan to get much more than a year or two out of it so not really.

AMD:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($79.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $172.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-09 01:44 EST-0500

Intel:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ Directron)

Total: $178.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-09 01:44 EST-0500

Like what faceman said the i3 is the best budget CPU. With it you' re kinda getting the best of both worlds( you are getting a lot of single threaded performance while you are also getting 4 threads which means that you can also run modern games). To top it off you can run it on cheap h81 motherboards, it has a very low power consumption and an upgrade path which leads to an i5/i7.

Well in that case you should (emphasis on the should) be able to get away with CPUs as old as the Phenom 2. I used to have a laptop with the 1.66GHz mobile version, and I was able to play minecraft on far, with full settings and args minecraft overhall. And since my 650ti handled pretty much all games with playable frame rates the 750ti will be fine, as long as you don't expect too much in the way of playable AAA games (BF4, COD AW, FC4 etc).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

FX 4300, better than Pentium and i3 trash and miles better than Athlon and APUs.

FX 4300, better than Pentium and i3 trash and miles better than Athlon and APUs.

No. Just no. Sandy Bridge I3 crushes FX quads. Haswell slaughters them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i3 destroys the FX-4300 in games and multithreaded applications http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/700?vs=1197

It also has a great upgrade path.

FX-4300 is a horrible CPU to choose right now for anything. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

This is just so wrong I don't know where to start.