Apple to increase App Store prices in Europe and Canada tomorrow morning

AlexGoesHigh

the european union passed a new legislation that changes how VAT works on digital goods, which is now applied on a per country basis (which seems to average around 20% in general) instead of only applying the VAT value of where a company has its european HQ, in the case of apple they route their app store and itunes purchases through luxemburgo which only has a VAT of as low as 3%, (and even their normal 17% value is one of the lowest) this effectively closed a loophole where companies paid less taxes by simply hosting there instead of another country.

these changes were a no brainer, prices increase were a given, and to be precise a 6.5% in average, apple gave the notice to developers yesterday that the changes were going to be effective 36 hours since the email was sent

as for the increase in canada seems to be blamed to the recent decrease in the value of its dollar compared to the US dollar, also the same email stated that iceland will have reduced prices and russia to have "changes"

Source: The Verge

well that really sucks ass, though it wasn't something to blame apple for, though it seems comments in the article indicate the the prices changes were already in place, some claiming and increases of 30% in average, which if true they are taking a bit of advantage of the changes, if anybody can confirm that, would be appreciated, also if anybody wonders if google play will change prices, well that depends directly on developers, also google host their europe stuff in ireland which has a 23% VAT so its not a big deal for them

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

but why Canada 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

but why Canada 

Apparently the value of the Canadian dollar has dropped far below the US dollar.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Apparently the value of the Canadian dollar has dropped far below the US dollar.

Canadian here. Can confirm that it has :(

It's horrible buying stuff from the US now, and a lot of games on steam that are normally $60 in the US are $70 on the Canadian store.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

but why Canada 

because of this https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=1%20canadian%20dollar%20to%20us%20dollar that significant change considering the price most apps are sold at

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Don't buy and send a message.  Simple as that.  Apple can go **** themselves.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Not going to happen.  A few boycotting it will have little effect.

I actually think it's good the the EU is cracking down on big companies abusing tax loopholes. Why should they not pay tax when everyone else has to?

because of this https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=1%20canadian%20dollar%20to%20us%20dollar that significant change considering the price most apps are sold at

awwe fuck, thats way lower than it used to be, used to be .95, at some points it was worth more. i bet it is because canada is printing all the new plastic money 

its not like o bought much on the itunes unless i had a card

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

That's pretty sucky.

There's actually a "xx Canadian cents to 1 US Dollar" sign in Menards by me. Last I looked it was like .85 Canadian cents to a US dollar.

EDIT: And Google confirms that. https://www.google.com/search?q=1+canadian+dollar+converted+to+us+dollars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not going to happen.  A few boycotting it will have little effect.

It doesn't have to be a few boycotting it.  Maybe people should learn to not be stupid.  Gosh forbid that happens.

awwe fuck, thats way lower than it used to be, used to be .95, at some points it was worth more. i bet it is because canada is printing all the new plastic money 

its not like o bought much on the itunes unless i had a card

Oil is down.  CDN is is viewed to be a petro-dollar, at least in a large part.  Lots of other reason/stuff too but oil a notable part of it.

Ladies and gentlemen, look here: a person who doesn't understand the markets and why currency fluctuation can increase and decrease prices! 

Guess what? Canadians often cried for prices to match what the exchange rate was, cause often the rate would dictate the prices but when the rate changed the prices wouldn't. Guess what? THAT WORKS BOTH WAYS! 

When the rate favours Canada, low prices. When it doesn't, higher prices. You can't have it only one way. Apple isn't some fucking devil who is unique in doing this. Every single company that does business has already or will adjust their pricing soon. Canadians already take it up the rear in game prices (well before this drop in Canadian currency I might add) 

To add to your list of companies that can go fuck themselves: Fitbit, Steam, every car marker, book publishers; pretty much every goods and service company there is.

Ladies and gentlemen, look here: a person who doesn't understand the markets and why currency fluctuation can increase and decrease prices! 

Guess what? Canadians often cried for prices to match what the exchange rate was, cause often the rate would dictate the prices but when the rate changed the prices wouldn't. Guess what? THAT WORKS BOTH WAYS! 

When the rate favours Canada, low prices. When it doesn't, higher prices. You can't have it only one way. Apple isn't some fucking devil who is unique in doing this. Every single company that does business has already or will adjust their pricing soon. Canadians already take it up the rear in game prices (well before this drop in Canadian currency I might add) 

To add to your list of companies that can go fuck themselves: Fitbit, Steam, every car marker, book publishers; pretty much every goods and service company there is.

You don't get it.  Companies are about maximizing profits and what they are doing to get there is wrong.  They not only look for every opportunity to jack up prices but they also look for cost cutting measures that continually adds people to the unemployment ranks every single day.  They also underpay people in many countries of the world to maximize profits. Also you telling me to add other companies to my **** list is funny because well they are all on it.  I am anti-commerce for a reason.

You don't get it.  Companies are about maximizing profits and what they are doing to get there is wrong. 

You can morally call it wrong, legally? Good luck. Because it isn't. And in this life, if it isn't against an actual law it isn't illegal. Welcome to the program. 

They not only look for every opportunity to jack up prices but they also look for cost cutting measures that continually adds people to the unemployment ranks every single day.  

See above, its the name of the profit game. Greed isn't some unknown quantity. Companies are fairly upfront about how greedy they are. You want to change that? Okay, have your moral victory. You clearly have never been in a position that requires you to manage even half a dozen employees and all the costs associated with a business. If I could hack off 3 of those 6 employees and retain if not exceed my productivity while decreasing my costs, I would. I so would. I don't give a shit about people and if you want business success its the way you play the game. 

They also underpay people in many countries of the world to maximize profits. Also you telling me to add other companies to my **** list is funny because well they are all on it.  I am anti-commerce for a reason.

I'm glad you are taking the moral high road. I expect you to stop owning ANYTHING that wasn't made in Canada, made under union wages and working conditions of a first world country. Anti-commerce my ass. 

Bottom line is Apple is always very pricey compared to other options so again **** Apple.

Bottom line is Apple is always very pricey compared to other options so again **** Apple.

Maybe when another company can deliver the same experience or better for a better price Apple will change its ways.

If you're opposed, don't buy Apple.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I actually think it's good the the EU is cracking down on big companies abusing tax loopholes. Why should they not pay tax when everyone else has to?

I agree, the problem is that the Increased tax rarely comes out of the company profits and more often than not is passed along to the consumer, which appears to be the case here. Still, Apple is just one fish in a small pond when it comes to Tax dodging mega corporations. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I still dont get it when are dollar is worth alot more they dont drop the prices do they? Thats not fair it should be illgeal.

Any way it wont last long guys Candian dollar will come back like always.

Subscription music for the win. I use XBox Music.

Spottily is also available in Canada but costs a bit more over the year, for a bit less music selection, but it's different. Try both and see what you like.

I have done massive saving since I switch to subscription base model. And if I recall like the music (ie: find its a classic), now I buy it. But else than that I tend to not listen to music after a listen a few times. So, for me, I like it a lot as it fits my needs very well. I have also discovered many artists, some even local

I strongly suggest people to give it a try either of them. They are both available on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows, via website (HTML5 - all web browsers).

Well on the plus side, any foreign investors or more specifically Canadians with foreign holdings/currency can take the opportunity to consider buying Canadian assets or selling foreign holdings for Canadian mulla for some potential outsized returns without needing to take on the risks of investing in Russia.

Canadian here. Can confirm that it has :(

It's horrible buying stuff from the US now, and a lot of games on steam that are normally $60 in the US are $70 on the Canadian store.

Similar story in Australia. Our dollar is worth US81c... Its gone down a lot in the last few months.

I will say as much, the weakness of the dollar is decreasing how much I spend online overall. When my CC company is converting over, even cheap purchases from Amazon and BH Photo start to add up more and more. Crappy situation for online shopping at the moment for Canadians. 

What I found funny, is how when our Canadian dollar was at 1$ U.S, for many years, retailers gave a billion and one excuse to why we are still playing like if it was 0.65$, including multiple year deals, and how it takes time to adjust, B.S. And now that the currency is dropping a bit, prices of everything increases immediately.