Apple to increase App Store prices in Europe and Canada tomorrow morning

AlexGoesHigh

Isn't this going to affect Steam? If I recall correctly Steam is based in Luxemburg aswell...

but why Canada 

drop in oil prices = lower value for all those tar sands being extracted in Canada.  Free money from the ground giveth, and taketh away... but mostly giveth.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Apparently the value of the Canadian dollar has dropped far below the US dollar.

Right but if you want the short version: Because fuck you, that's why.

-------

Current Rig

-------

yeah I'm safe not using apple and yes everything is more pricy here in canada

drop in oil prices = lower value for all those tar sands being extracted in Canada.  Free money from the ground giveth, and taketh away... but mostly giveth.

If you mean giveth to foreign companies, you got it.  We've essentially sold the rights to the resources to foreign companies, and take a cut.  The stupidest thing we could have done.  But it was cheaper, easier and resulted in money coming in faster.  It aint free though, and it's ridiculously expensive and polluting to pull out of the ground. 

I still dont get it when are dollar is worth alot more they dont drop the prices do they? Thats not fair it should be illgeal.

Any way it wont last long guys Candian dollar will come back like always.

I don't think we'll see it back at par any time soon.  It's actually good for the Canadian economy to be below the US dollar.  Cheaper to pay workers, etc.  We're an exporting country (still mostly are).  But we also had a strong manufacturing sector (wood, cars, raw materials).  Auto industry took a big hit with the NA automaker bankruptcies.  I don't personally like the way the gov't has pushed so hard to develop and market oil in the tar sands.  They've put way to many eggs in that basket, and now that the price of oil is dropping, we're going to take a big hit.  They also spent a lot of money and effort on pushing trades education (to supply the oil sands with workers and to supply infrastructure projects - in part to help with the recession) and not enough on other sectors.

So we not only have to pay more for already overpriced Iphones, but also more in the appstore! 

Great.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Apparently it's not only the App Store, but the Mac Store in Canada as well.  All 20% up.  iTunes isn't affected yet, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time.  It also pretty much nullifies any savings from discounted Gift Cards.

stupid currency traders.

I think its because of the whole oil thing. Oil is one of Canada's major exports, and by the sounds of it we only export to the US which is buying it stupidly cheap. I believe there is plans to change this so that Canada can export to other countries, but our hippy fucks are making that difficult so we have to suffer a bit longer. 

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.

Actually, I would suspect that the sanctions on Russia are more responsible for the current oil prices, since they'd be unloading it quite heavily to try and balance their economic decline(as well as other resources) in a global economy. But I haven't looked into it or anything, as it seemed a bit more obvious to me than government illuminati cohorts, environmentalists, Mars wobbles or whatever.

But perhaps I need to reconsider.

What is complete BS is the price of cheese in Canada.

I think its because of the whole oil thing. Oil is one of Canada's major exports, and by the sounds of it we only export to the US which is buying it stupidly cheap. I believe there is plans to change this so that Canada can export to other countries, but our hippy fucks are making that difficult so we have to suffer a bit longer. Blame the fucks that complain all the time when the government harms a couple trees, these hypocrites drive home in there over sized SUV's and enjoy their natural gas heated homes. Fuck them, fuck them, these fucking irritating assholes.

EDIT: on the west coast, there is plans to build a pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver B.C (where all the shipping ports are for the West Coast), and there is a bunch of dickheads complaining that there is a huge environmental impact. So there's been a bunch of investigations and the pipeline comity has come back and said we have plans to make this the best pipeline we have ever built (not to mention its mostly done). But there protests still, and there bringing the same bloody arguments to the table, "What if there is a leak?". The comity comes back and says we have severely limited the chance of that happening, but we have plans to stop it quickly if it does leak. Listen dumb fucks, you think loading up hundreds of trucks that gets like 1 mpg and driving it a couple hundred kilometers is better for the environment than a pipe that just sits there? I refuse to vote in an election till a politician claims hes or she is going to start from big to small and get shit done. No more wasting time on these semi- retarded protesters (who by the way, probably live on welfare and don't have jobs) who are fucking up our economy for everyone.

The US won't be buying at all in the near future (maybe as soon as next year).  They'll be producing their own.  That, along with the fact that Saudi oil can be extracted a million times cheaper and have flooded the market it means the price tanked.  Any operations in Canada that were up and running may take a big hit but still be able to remain profitable.  New prospects though need a higher price/barrell to even think about putting a shovel in the ground.

"Hippie fucks" are good at keeping things in perspective.  Canadians are so passive on big issues it's actually sad.  I'm guilty of it myself.  Protesters bring at least some light to issues that are not insignificant.  Pipelines are good at moving a lot of product quickly, but the impact of a leak is WAY more significant than a truck or even rail accident.  Their biggest problem is that they're remote, so cleanup is extremely difficult.  A leak also means thousands or even 10's of thousands of times more product leaks into the environment.  And just because they're remote doesn't mean they won't affect someone even hundreds of KM away eventually.  Yes, trucks also cause CO2 emissions, but relatively speaking it's the lesser of two evils.  The commitee's you're talking about are also made up of government officials and the very people that will profit from the pipeline, so take everything they say as self serving.  They may have the newest and best tech in their pipeline, but almost every line has a problem at some point.  And I bet you'd change your tune pretty damned quickly if it was your water table that was affected by one.  You'd be crying to anyone that would listen that the company needed to fix it, and you'd be left out to dry with no one listening and a company that does the bare minimum to fix it.

"I refuse to vote in an election till a politician claims hes or she is going to start from big to small and get shit done."  LOL, that's EVERY POLITICIAN THAT'S EVER CAMPAIGNED FOR A PUBLIC POSITION.  You need to get some perspective if you think that putting in a pipeline to the west is all we need.  What we should be doing is innovating in energy, along with working on ways to process the damned stuff ourselves instead of just selling off the rights to it. Then take that money and re-invest it.  More importantly, we should be looking even farther out at nuclear and expansion of hydro and/or localized wind/solar.  I'm not sold on wind/solar, but we're really missing a huge opportunity with nuclear and nuclear technology.  Energy independence should be our goal, and I've not seen any indication our politicians or public is looking that direction. 

Also... wow this is way off topic :P  Had to get it out though.

The US won't be buying at all in the near future (maybe as soon as next year).  They'll be producing their own.  That, along with the fact that Saudi oil can be extracted a million times cheaper and have flooded the market it means the price tanked.  Any operations in Canada that were up and running may take a big hit but still be able to remain profitable.  New prospects though need a higher price/barrell to even think about putting a shovel in the ground.

"Hippie fucks" are good at keeping things in perspective.  Canadians are so passive on big issues it's actually sad.  I'm guilty of it myself.  Protesters bring at least some light to issues that are not insignificant.  Pipelines are good at moving a lot of product quickly, but the impact of a leak is WAY more significant than a truck or even rail accident.  Their biggest problem is that they're remote, so cleanup is extremely difficult.  A leak also means thousands or even 10's of thousands of times more product leaks into the environment.  And just because they're remote doesn't mean they won't affect someone even hundreds of KM away eventually.  Yes, trucks also cause CO2 emissions, but relatively speaking it's the lesser of two evils.  The commitee's you're talking about are also made up of government officials and the very people that will profit from the pipeline, so take everything they say as self serving.  They may have the newest and best tech in their pipeline, but almost every line has a problem at some point.  And I bet you'd change your tune pretty damned quickly if it was your water table that was affected by one.  You'd be crying to anyone that would listen that the company needed to fix it, and you'd be left out to dry with no one listening and a company that does the bare minimum to fix it.

"I refuse to vote in an election till a politician claims hes or she is going to start from big to small and get shit done."  LOL, that's EVERY POLITICIAN THAT'S EVER CAMPAIGNED FOR A PUBLIC POSITION.  You need to get some perspective if you think that putting in a pipeline to the west is all we need.  What we should be doing is innovating in energy, along with working on ways to process the damned stuff ourselves instead of just selling off the rights to it. Then take that money and re-invest it.  More importantly, we should be looking even farther out at nuclear and expansion of hydro and/or localized wind/solar.  I'm not sold on wind/solar, but we're really missing a huge opportunity with nuclear and nuclear technology.  Energy independence should be our goal, and I've not seen any indication our politicians or public is looking that direction. 

Also... wow this is way off topic :P  Had to get it out though.

Nah, this is hardly off topic.

"LOL, that's EVERY POLITICIAN THAT'S EVER CAMPAIGNED FOR A PUBLIC POSITION. ". I agree with that, but NONE of them follow through. In Vancouver, homelessness is a big problem, East Hastings is an absolute mess. Then the news channels ask the politicians "So what are you going to do to solve the problem?", we are going to open up centers where the drug addicts can come and get a clean needle with clean drugs. Sure less of this population is being administered to hospitals, but have we solved the problem, short answer, no. You don't just give a person with mental disorders more drugs, sure, rehab programs are crazy expensive, and therapy being even more expensive than that. Well, we can just tax the rich more, well, what if they just leave? Then your government gets nothing in taxes from that rich person. Brilliant, what's your next move? Red left turn arrows? Don't even get me started on traffic. 

You have a point that, yes pipelines can be incredible harmful, in the event of a burst. But, I believe nuclear isn't the answer for B.C, we are literally waiting for a massive earth quake, the bulk of the population is near a plate boundary. So, just move the nuclear plants towards the B.C - Alberta border. I don't imagine that ever working, distance creates issues, it will become much more expensive, and the power will not be as reliable. B.C needs something new, solar won't work cause there's way too many cloudy days, we don't have the space for wind (unless we put it out on the pacific ocean), my only idea is that B.C has tons of forests and in those forests are trees that are dying from disease, or old age. If we (I say we, as in, people of Canada, cause our politicians, as you kinda mentioned, are sitting around ripping bong loads and getting a different perspective on the issues at hand, haha B) ) figure out a way to increase the efficiency of the process, I believe that would be the future, along with Bill Gate's shitting machine. If you think that isn't enough, as years have gone on, the power demand per person has been slowly decreasing, its one of the reasons why B.C no longer has any coal burning plants. 

Someone should make an Environment and government thread (if it hasn't been created already of course) so we can rant about the tards in our community. Recently I noticed, in my community, a brand new "speed kills" sign and then a "15 kph maximum" adjacent to it. Yet, my community still has people that sit when turning right on a red light. AAArrgggH!!!  :wacko: Now that's off topic...

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

I think its because of the whole oil thing. Oil is one of Canada's major exports, and by the sounds of it we only export to the US which is buying it stupidly cheap. I believe there is plans to change this so that Canada can export to other countries, but our hippy fucks are making that difficult so we have to suffer a bit longer. Blame the fucks that complain all the time when the government harms a couple trees, these hypocrites drive home in there over sized SUV's and enjoy their natural gas heated homes. Fuck them, fuck them, these fucking irritating assholes.

EDIT: on the west coast, there is plans to build a pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver B.C (where all the shipping ports are for the West Coast), and there is a bunch of dickheads complaining that there is a huge environmental impact. So there's been a bunch of investigations and the pipeline comity has come back and said we have plans to make this the best pipeline we have ever built (not to mention its mostly done). But there protests still, and there bringing the same bloody arguments to the table, "What if there is a leak?". The comity comes back and says we have severely limited the chance of that happening, but we have plans to stop it quickly if it does leak. Listen dumb fucks, you think loading up hundreds of trucks that gets like 1 mpg and driving it a couple hundred kilometers is better for the environment than a pipe that just sits there? I refuse to vote in an election till a politician claims hes or she is going to start from big to small and get shit done. No more wasting time on these semi- retarded protesters (who by the way, probably live on welfare and don't have jobs) who are fucking up our economy for everyone.

First the 'hippies' have nothing to do with your oil price dropping causing the dollar to drop. It's a supply/demand cartel thing.

Second, while the price of oil has real tangible effects on our countrys economy and therefore our currency, this is not exactly what is happening here. If you actually listen and research some of what the talking financial heads say, there is far more correlation than causation. This leads to the conclusion they don't know what they are talking about and making things up to fit a given scenario, which is also seen with the volatility of the market.

Third, thank you for not voting and making my vote count more. Last thing we need is more ignorance like the above quoted comment in govenrment.

To not be taking climate change seriously by now is pretty embarrassing.

First the 'hippies' have nothing to do with your oil price dropping causing the dollar to drop. It's a supply/demand cartel thing.

Second, while the price of oil has real tangible effects on our countrys economy and therefore our currency, this is not exactly what is happening here. If you actually listen and research some of what the talking financial heads say, there is far more correlation than causation. This leads to the conclusion they don't know what they are talking about and making things up to fit a given scenario, which is also seen with the volatility of the market.

Third, thank you for not voting and making my vote count more. Last thing we need is more ignorance like the above quoted comment in govenrment.

If you actually read my first comment, I literally start with "I think", then in the next sentence "by the sounds of it", the sentence after that "I believe". I wasn't stating a direct causation, I wasn't familiar with the subject, and those phrases tend to mean that one is not familiar with the subject. But then I get into a hate filled rant because these protests screw up my daily plans, eg. the whole Burnaby Mountain thing. It's incredibly frustrating because by my understanding the pipeline is basically built, so which makes me believe that there in the minority here.

I'm more complaining about these 'hippies' cause they actually interfere with places I'm trying to transit to. They will literally bring transit and traffic to a crawl. It was blind rage, reading it again, it got out of control, I apologize for that. 

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

,and russia to have "changes"

"changes" ha! Russia is just getting screwed all over the place. It honestly would not surprise me if the App Store was closed in Russia at this point.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4