Japan's console market at lowest point for 24 years

XTankSlayerX

142064498645.png

2014's total physical game sales for all home console and handhelds generated 369 billion yen (£2bn). Back in 2007 that number was nearly double - 688bn yen (£3.8bn).

The 10 top-selling games in Japan last year were all for Nintendo platforms (eight of which were for 3DS, a reflection of Japan's preference for handhelds in general).

Level 5 role-player Yo-kai Watch 2 sold the highest (just over 3m copies), while Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire notched up 2.4m copies.

3DS was, unsurprisingly, the top-selling console in Japan last year. It shifted 3.1m units, making for a 17.8m lifetime total in the country.

PlayStation Vita was the second-best selling console. Sony shifted 1.1m units, out of a 3.4m Japanese lifetime total.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-07-japans-console-and-handheld-physical-game-sales-at-lowest-point-for-24-years

Obviously Nintendo's going to be on top.
Makes sense. Since people in Japan are always working you can only really game when your on your way to work.

They should sell more of their consoles here than the PS4 and XBO combined. They are the only good consoles nowadays.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They should sell more of their consoles here than the PS4 and XBO combined. They are the only good consoles nowadays.

blame that one on the grand majority of spoiled teenagers/kids that exist today

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

parents be like work more no play games. 

5GWs4KH.gif

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

this is sad they have the only good console I'll hope they came back on track in the next 5 year or so. Well they can make it for sure when people will understand "next gen" (lol) console is shit they will buy something that have at least some mind (and that don't bs us xD 24 fps more cinematic)

Eurogamer needs to account for the deflation of Japanese currency. 2006-2008 was Wii, and PS3 wave too. 

But I won't deny that Japanese people are playing more games on their phones. Tsum Tsum, Monster Strike, and Puzzle Dragons are top dogs. 

Japanese gamers are more on the go than anything else. Handhelds and phone games are pretty popular with them last time I checked.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

declining since 2008 hmmmm... i wonder what caused that?

My theory:

- Nintendo releases Wii and turns every Japanese gamer to filthy casuals.

- iPhone comes to Japan and takes the casual market away from consoles.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

What consoles ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Seems like people have caught onto the bullshit of peasant companies.

One solid step away from peasantry!

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

YAY!. the only console I have is nintendo. 

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

To be fair, 2014 wasn't exactly the bang up year for the economy their, especially towards the later end.

That said, this could mean greater South East Asian and general Asian efforts for Sony and Nintendo. The integration should make that kind of business easier.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Clearly it means consoles suck and they now know it and want PCs cause they are teh bezt. /pc master race thinking

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Aren't the age demographics the cause of this?  Or at least a large factor?

CFB719.gif

Japanese people are not FPS gamers, I know that for sure. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Good to see Nintendo doing well on their home turf.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates