in-ear phones clogging?

GregButcher

So this is my 3rd pair of in-ear headphones in less than a years time dying for some random reason-.- 

This one's(Sony ex50-LP) problem is that while both sides emit sounds its god-awfully quiet even at max volumes and only some of the high-tones come through, nothing mid or bass level, tested by many people on many devices.

So my question is that since my skin is pretty oily, my ears are waxy a lot as well, and while I clean the earphones out regularly is it possible for the earwax to actually "squeeze" into the housing of the unit throught the drivers fine mesh? Particularly in this one or just in general?

I really like to have a pair of in-ears for convenience and portability(i only need a pocket, not like with over ears) and I was planning on buying a more serious pair like a shure se215(or whatever) later down the road, but at this point I'm kinda discouraged of using in-ears in general since i fear they will just break on me after a few months. My dad said its probably the cable, but still I'm curious what could've caused this issue.

Sorry if this grossed out some of you, but I don't really know where else to get an answer for this. And thank you in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Don't think it can squeeze that hard inside it but maybe your pushing it when your cleaning.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

its probably the cable. dismantle them and see if there is a bad connection somewhere, or a damaged cable anywhere :)

as @cesrai said, its really hard to get enough of it inside the driver to actually damage it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

its probably the cable. dismantle them and see if there is a bad connection somewhere, or a damaged cable anywhere :)

as @cesrai said, its really hard to get enough of it inside the driver to actually damage it

Yeah like this redhead said.

Basement pics pics pics pics.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Thanks for the quick answer, I thought the theory kinda dumb as well but I needed some verification on it :D

On the note of disassembling it, i will pass, while i'd be interested, i still can bring it back with warranty, so I'll just go and play dumb in the shop ^^

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Thanks for the quick answer, I thought the theory kinda dumb as well but I needed some verification on it :D

On the note of disassembling it, i will pass, while i'd be interested, i still can bring it back with warranty, so I'll just go and play dumb in the shop ^^

oooh if they have warranty, just clean any visible gunk and get rid of them ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

So this is my 3rd pair of in-ear headphones in less than a years time dying for some random reason-.- 

This one's(Sony ex50-LP) problem is that while both sides emit sounds its god-awfully quiet even at max volumes and only some of the high-tones come through, nothing mid or bass level, tested by many people on many devices.

So my question is that since my skin is pretty oily, my ears are waxy a lot as well, and while I clean the earphones out regularly is it possible for the earwax to actually "squeeze" into the housing of the unit throught the drivers fine mesh? Particularly in this one or just in general?

I really like to have a pair of in-ears for convenience and portability(i only need a pocket, not like with over ears) and I was planning on buying a more serious pair like a shure se215(or whatever) later down the road, but at this point I'm kinda discouraged of using in-ears in general since i fear they will just break on me after a few months. My dad said its probably the cable, but still I'm curious what could've caused this issue.

Sorry if this grossed out some of you, but I don't really know where else to get an answer for this. And thank you in advance!

I can think of a few points:

- ear wax shouldn't be small enough to go through the fine mesh. Oil, maybe, as in like face's oil

- have you ensured the rubber is sealing the ears well? In-ears can only sound good if it got good sealing.

- SE 215 comes with a small brush to clean the rubber from waxes

- this will solve both problems, bad sealing and ear wax: comply foam tips

cutaway-tx-series.png

oooh if they have warranty, just clean any visible gunk and get rid of them ;)

Thats the plan, i hope i can get a refund, bc here usually they just give replacements, and I'm not using it that often nowadays. I was especially surprised bc of this bc i haven't picked it up in ~2 weeks and it was just crap.

I can think of a few points:

- ear wax shouldn't be small enough to go through the fine mesh. Oil, maybe, as in like face's oil

- have you ensured the rubber is sealing the ears well? In-ears can only sound good if it got good sealing.

- SE 215 comes with a small brush to clean the rubber from waxes

- this will solve both problems, bad sealing and ear wax: comply foam tips

cutaway-tx-series.png

Thanks, the rubber is on it perfectly and it seals well, but even outside of my ear it has next to no sound compared to when i got it, it was pretty much audible even when hanging on my neck.

Thats the plan, i hope i can get a refund, bc here usually they just give replacements, and I'm not using it that often nowadays. I was especially surprised bc of this bc i haven't picked it up in ~2 weeks and it was just crap.

Thanks, the rubber is on it perfectly and it seals well, but even outside of my ear it has next to no sound compared to when i got it, it was pretty much audible even when hanging on my neck.

Time for a new one then.