Intel 5th Generation is here! The Broadwell

As part of CES, Intel announced their Broadwell CPUs.

Intel is formally releasing their next element of the 14 nanometer story: Broadwell-U. As the iterative naming over Haswell-U suggests, Broadwell-U will focus on dual-core 15W and 28W units from Celeron to Core i7 using 12 to 48 ­execution units for the integrated graphics. A Broadwell-U processor should drop into any existing Haswell-U equivalent design (i3 to i3) due to pin and architecture compatibility, albeit with a firmware update.

There will be several combinations possible throughout the Broadwell line, but the most important distinctions are:

28W with GT3, Iris 6100 Graphics (48 Execution Units)
15W with GT3, HD 6000 Graphics (48 Execution Units)
15W with GT2, HD 5500 Graphics (23 Execution Units for low i3, 24 for others)
15W with GT1, HD (Broadwell) Graphics (12 Execution Units)

Here is the list of Broadwell SKUs

Slide%2035%20-%2015W%20SKUs%20%282%29_57

Slide%2034%20-%2015W%20SKUs%20%281%29_57

Slide%2036%20-%2028W%20SKUs_575px.png

Broadwell-U will be derived from two main dies. The larger design contains the full 48 EU (two common slices with 6x8 EU sub-slices all in) configuration for 1.9 billion transistors in 133 mm2, while the 24 EU design (one common slice, 3x8 sub-slices) will measure 1.3 billion transistors in 82 mm2.

Slide%2010%20-%20Iris%206100%20Die%20Lab

Broadwell Improvements

Slide%2011%20-%20Graphics%20Upgrade.png

Watch. Game. Create with Intel Graphics. The 5th Generation Intel Core processor family brings the next evolution in processor graphics architecture enabling new levels of performance and power efficiency paired with Intel's leading CPU technology. The new 5th Generation Intel Core processorfamily offers graphics options including Intel® HD Graphics 5500, HD Graphics 6000 and Intel® IrisTM Graphics 6100. All of these provide stunning visuals and enable 4K Ultra HD display, including over Intel WiDi 5.14. Additional platform features include enhanced new codec decode support for VP8, VP9 and HEVC, as well as support for the latest graphics APIs (DX 11.2, DX 12 Ready) and graphics programmability features, including OpenCL 2.0 and OpenGL 4.3. Intel Iris Graphics includes these features plus significantly better 3D performance compared to Intel HD Graphics 5500 processors.

What to Choose?

Slide%206%20-%20Choosing%20the%20Right%2

Performance Charts:

Slide%208%20-%205th%20Gen%20Core%20Impro

Slide%2022%20-%20Performance%20Metrics.p

Battery Life:

Slide%2012%20-%20Battery%20Life.png

Voice Assistant

Intel-3.jpg

A Feature comparison between a laptop in 2010 and laptop with Broadwell

4768501c-bed9-42a1-a081-c5aa19d81ae5.jpg

What to expect in 2015?

6911_02_intel-broadwell-5th-gen-core-pro

By the end of January, we should see more powerful devices with Broadwell inside, and in mid-2015, we will see the higher TDP 5th gen Core processors.

Release Dates:

hroughout CES there will be a number of manufacturers announcing their products, and as per the norm Intel allows the partners to introduce their own products, rather than showing examples of where Broadwell-U fits in. However, because Broadwell-U is designed to be pin-compatible with Haswell-U, we might see some manufacturers purely re-releasing some of their designs with the newer CPU and a firmware update.  Nevertheless, Intel is expecting OEM systems with Broadwell-U to start shipping in North America within the month. Designs with Iris graphics, or those featuring Intel based WiGig connectivity, will be more towards the end of Q1. Overall Intel is tracking ‘hundreds of designs’ involving Broadwell, indicating that it will be a significant push to bring 14nm to the market.

Although these are all officially only for notebooks!

No word on Desktop processors!

Source: AnandTech

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Thats pretty damn power efficient.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nice.

Can't wait to hear/read more about it, especially the Desktop ones.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Nice.

Can't wait to hear/read more about it, especially the Desktop ones.

Almost I thought that Desktop processors were announced. But then navigating the page around the source here and there and finally realised that Desktop processors were not announced!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Those are some nice base and boost clocks. I'm intrested to see how the integrated graphics will do in gaming and maybe CAD-type workload. That could make compact notebooks interesting again.

who cares...

just when im about to find a lappy. sounds great to me

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Almost I thought that Desktop processors were announced. But then navigating the page around the source here and there and finally realised that Desktop processors were not announced!

Me too! haha. But an i7 with 2 cores/ 4 threads? :D that is odd, even for laptop CPUs. must be because of the "U"

who cares...

Those are some nice base and boost clocks. I'm intrested to see how the integrated graphics will do in gaming and maybe CAD-type workload. That could make compact notebooks interesting again.

this, the GT6xxx will be great for oCL accelerated cad on the go :3

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Me too! haha. But an i7 with 2 cores/ 4 threads? :D that is odd, even for laptop CPUs. must be because of the "U"

I have an old laptop with a 2 Core / 4 Thread i7. It's some old lenovo model

eeh... no unlocked desktop processors yet??

Still.. it might be a good time to grab a new intel notebook this year...

just when im about to find a lappy. sounds great to me

Yea! Grab one with broadwell! :)

i7 with 2 cores in U series processors is normal in their lineup.

U is a 2 core die, and i7 merely means the best possible cpu in the power envelope. you also have i5s that are 2/4 but are M or U with a low clockspeed

U is a 2 core die, and i7 merely means the best possible cpu in the power envelope. you also have i5s that are 2/4 but are M or U with a low clockspeed

I knew about i5s but not about i7. ;) the U lineup was entireley uninteresting until now.

who cares...

Awesome! Now all we need is Broadwell-K...

naah, performance of teh cpu is really similar to haswell. only the GPU matters with broadwell. as far as im concerned they dont even need to release bw on desktop, apart from as a SFF workstation design

WOW! damn Broadwell! need to postpone my laptop buying!

Definitely!

I knew about i5s but not about i7. ;) the U lineup was entireley uninteresting until now.

bitch please, there are 2/4 lappys with a 3GHz boost to be had for 600$ plus a 840m ;) freaking awesome

Would love to see what Intel has in store for the more import desktop CPUs.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

bitch please, there are 2/4 lappys with a 3GHz boost to be had for 600$ plus a 840m ;) freaking awesome

uwotm8? dude i haven't looked at the lappy market for a while it seems... Pair that with a SSD and i have a laptop that i can recommend to my GF :P

who cares...

Whats the point of two 15w celerons for same price where only difference is 200mhz ?????

Does the higher frequency (1.7) really produces so much more heat that there is a need for 1.5 ghz version?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

And I was just thinking about buying a laptop at the end of January, maybe I should wait a bit longer. Wonder when they will be available for purchase :D

Is 5770k coming later?

I wont buy it, I will stick with my 5820k for 3-4 years:D and then buy I7 8960x:D lol

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

And I was just thinking about buying a laptop at the end of January, maybe I should wait a bit longer. Wonder when they will be available for purchase :D

I think broadwell launches march-may, u can google it as Intel has mentioned its plans for broadwell and skylake already.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE