Will A sata 2 cable bottleneck my ssd?

Sorry i'm new here hope i posted this in the correct place but i would like to know Will A sata 2 cable bottleneck my ssd or should i buy a sata 3 cable any difference?

If it's really a sata2 cable, yes.

Sata2 = 3Gb/sec

Sata3 = 6Gb/sec

Cables are dirt cheap online. I got a couple of short ones from Newegg for less than a dollar each. A local store might be a five spot.

There is no such thing as a SATA 1,2, or 3 cable. As long as you have SATA 6gb/s port on your motherboard, you'll get good speeds.

It's like a CAT5e or CAT6 kind of thing. 

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

The cable doesn't make a difference at all, it's still the same cable used in Sata I and II, as well as III.

Now, the connector is a different story. Most modern SSDs will go over the 220MB Sata II has to offer. Meaning that any modern SSD will suffer bottleneck on a Sata II or I connector.

If the SSD is an old Sata II SSD, then it doesn't matter where you plug it in, as it can't achieve higher speeds on its own.

Are you talking about the ports on the mobo, o a cable?

Ok thanks for the reply but i was reading a couple articles that said there wasn't a difference because you would need an ssd to read and write at 600mb and most are under 500.

Ok thanks for the reply but i was reading a couple articles that said there wasn't a difference because you would need an ssd to read and write at 600mb and most are under 500.

That's SATA 3. SATA 2 is half of that.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Many modern SSDs from a reputable brand are plenty fast. But to be honest, if you see a two drives whose specifications show a difference of around 50mbps, you won't notice it.

Forsakenlive thanks that helped a lot. Will a 2011 hp computer most likely have a sata 3 port than? if so how can i tell i am planning on putting a samsung 850 ssd to speed it up.

What's HP model number? We'll all race to find the specs for you.

(But yes it should)

There is no such thing as a SATA 1,2, or 3 cable. As long as you have SATA 6gb/s port on your motherboard, you'll get good speeds.

It's like a CAT5e or CAT6 kind of thing. 

This should be marked as the best answer.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

@LinusTech did something like this 2 years ago.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

Forsakenlive thanks that helped a lot. Will a 2011 hp computer most likely have a sata 3 port than? if so how can i tell i am planning on putting a samsung 850 ssd to speed it up.

More than likely. My old Dell slim tower from like 2009 only had SATA 6gb/s ports.

If you want to check this yourself, carefully open up the case and grab a flashlight. Look at where the SATA ports are and see if they are labeled on the motherboard. Usually, you can find the version.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

It's going to have most likely a Sata III (6 Gbps) port. But if you want to be extra sure, and the HP website doesn't say a thing, download Crucial's Utility, it's a little program that tells you what drive you have, what Sata version you have and what you can upgrade to.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner?gclid=CLbh79bn9rkCFdFaMgod0n0AUg&ef_id=Ujc53wAABOUoTzxO:20131001234038:s

As long as it's Sata III the 850 Pro is going to show it's true performance. Cables are only used in desktop PCs and it's the exact same cable (performance-wise) on all Sata generations. Notebooks plug directly to the port inside, SSDs work in both desktop and notebook PCs (except some thicker ones that are quite uncommon).

What's HP model number? We'll all race to find the specs for you.

(But yes it should)

The product name is h8-1010t

product # is LP025AV#ABA

darn it so it looks like my ssd will be somewhat bottlenecked than right?

Indeed.  But not not-worth-it because it'll still be fast, and if you ever upgrade your motherboard, you'll notice a speed difference again.

Indeed.  But not not-worth-it because it'll still be fast, and if you ever upgrade your motherboard, you'll notice a speed difference again.

Thanks yea i'm going to buy the ssd. thanks for the support.

Sata 3 bottlenecks an SSD. What do you think 2's gunna do?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

No.

Didn't some site test this and found no difference between sata 2 and 3 cables, as performance goes.

This questions seems to be very telling of the knowledge of some of the people responding on this forum.

No.

Didn't some site test this and found no difference between sata 2 and 3 cables, as performance goes.

This questions seems to be very telling of the knowledge of some of the people responding on this forum.

There are just SATA cables, not SATA 1 or 2 or 3 cables.

Drives and controllers however are different, depending on the SATA generation, and yes, that does make a difference in performance (at least with modern SSDs)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

There are just SATA cables, not SATA 1 or 2 or 3 cables.

Drives and controllers however are different, depending on the SATA generation, and yes, that does make a difference in performance (at least with modern SSDs)

Yes I know this, but thanks for reiterating it again.

So while this is actually the case, it does not stop people from marketing cables anyways at a significant surcharge, or others claiming it will bottleneck an ssd(see this thread).

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2015 at 8:52 PM, xxMrTimelessxx said:

Sorry i'm new here hope i posted this in the correct place but i would like to know Will A sata 2 cable bottleneck my ssd or should i buy a sata 3 cable any difference?

This thread is most likely dead, but just wanted to put my two cents in. I personally noticed a marked improvement when I replaced my old sata cords with new sata 3. But there won't be that much improvement from sata 2 to 3 but I would get the 3 just because they're close enough to the same price and would, IMO have better shielding, a little faster and the tech maybe able to use it.

I had a new mob and ssd but usedan old cables until I could make it back to the computer parts store, about an hour away. I think that the cables can make a difference in speed if your mob and ssd have those higher speeds.

Granted I went from old cables from a prebuilt but I'd think that every new generation of data cables are faster then the last to some extent.