FX8350 vs i5 3570K (GTX 670) --> Teksyndicate

What are your thoughts on this video Logan made? Last video there were a lot of comments saying stuff wasn't right because he used a AMD GPU. Now he used a Nvidia GPU and the results are interesting... Lets discuss the results (no fanboys plz)..

As in the video the FX does consume more power but as he calculated it will cost you $8,- more per year... But the price to buy one is better and the performance is good? Why is everybody recommending the i5s, the AMD camp is also a good option as shown in the video... And not only the CPU is lower priced, also motherboards are cheaper... :)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Sometimes for budget builds AMD is the way to go, but the i5 is much better if you want the best performance in games. Hopefully AMD get a bit more competitive next gen because right now they're really lagging behind. I tend to find AMD GPUs better at the mid-end and Nvidia better at the high end. That is mostly personnel preference though. Drivers especially.

I think its covered a lot, just seems like he got a bad i5 and a good 8350 though, i dont have a problem going to 4.5 and im using a fkn Hyper 212 evo

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I think its covered a lot, just seems like he got a bad i5 and a good 8350 though, i dont have a problem going to 4.5 and im using a fkn Hyper 212 evo

he said he didn't have an issue either

he overclocked each by 1GHz and on top of that gave the i5 .1 more of an overclock, seems fair to me

this was made clear

the 8350 starts out at 4.0

the 3570k starts at 3.4

like common sense? possibly? no? -__-

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

The 8350 is a cheaper option overall and does really well in performance. I am building a frugal rig with my friend and this is what we chose.

My specs:I5 3570k,Asus p8z77v-lk, 8gb Kingston hyperx , Gtx770, Ocz550w , 2x segate barracuda 1tb, 120gb samsung 840evo, Win 10 64bit.

The 8350 is a cheaper option overall and does really well in performance. I am building a frugal rig with my friend and this is what we chose.

it is a better choice that is why lol

I agree, the 8350 is a great CPU. It can out perform the 3570 obviously not with everything but it can. The clock on the 8350 was higher, but clock for clock the 3570 is faster. It'll be interesting to see steamroller. Hopefully 28nm process and each core will have its own decoder. So it should give it a significant jump in performance and hopefully no excess power consumption. We could end up with something that not only competes with Ivy but perhaps haswell. I'm not going to get my hopes up though. Lets just hope AMD come through and create some competition :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I agree, the 8350 is a great CPU. It can out perform the 3570 obviously not with everything but it can. The clock on the 8350 was higher, but clock for clock the 3570 is faster. It'll be interesting to see steamroller. Hopefully 28nm process and each core will have its own decoder. So it should give it a significant jump in performance and hopefully no excess power consumption. We could end up with something that not only competes with Ivy but perhaps haswell. I'm not going to get my hopes up though. Lets just hope AMD come through and create some competition :)

If you would have watched the video he makes anyone who says "more power consumption" look kinda silly :L

he is using an EVGA Stinger which is the worst Z77 ITX board on the market

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Interesting article when it comes to crossfire

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html

If i am going to trust anyone with benchmarks its going to be TTL not Teksyndicate, I watch them more for interesting news and a few laughs more than anything.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

we need to have a set of game benchmarks that are half cpu dependent and the other half gpu dependent and test a known good overclocking i5-3570k [with a mobo thats actually good unlike the stinger] with a 7970 and gtx 670 then do the same with 8350 with the same two gpus and put them all in a graph

Thats not showing the potential of the chips though, an i5 doesn't really have a problem getting to 4.7+ Ghz, and not to many 8350's can get to 5.0Ghz so yeah that would be more realistic since both would need about the same cooling and would be maxed around 4.8Ghz and head to head in that scenario the i5 would definitely win.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I found the video very interesting... Shows that the FX isnt as bad as a lot of people are saying on the internet... Specially when you look at the price and the 8 cores are for some tasks very good... The intel is the better way clock for clock per core... But for gaming, as shown in the video, both are good option :-)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I thought the hotfixes werent really that effective? Has anyone tested piledriver with windows 7 autoupdates vs hotfixes, vs windows 8?

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

I thought the hotfixes werent really that effective? Has anyone tested piledriver with windows 7 autoupdates vs hotfixes, vs windows 8?
with the 8150 there was a minor diffrence in performance. nothing worth to mention actually.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

actually 3570ks have a bit of trouble OCing, most people cant get them past 4.5ghz, i was lucky enough to get one that OCs to 4.8ghz, i could push it further with a better cooling solution

Just watched it. I have a 3570k@4.7, it is amazing. Though I do have an am3+ board with a 955@3.9 on it too, which is also amazing, It does everything I ask. I think I'll go support amd and upgrade my amd rig, I don't want to see them go underwater much more than they are. 5.2Ghz here I come :D

lol watch Jack Hammer come out soon... Or Rocket Ship. Tug Boat? I'm loving those code names from amd..

I fully support TekSyndicate. I find the benchmark really amazing, realizing how bad campaign the FX 8350 had. When it comes to people thinking it was an unfair comparison, just realize he overclocked the FX 8350 1 Ghz, as well as the i5. If you ask me, overall, in terms of gaming, the AMD chip beats the i5.

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

I have to agree with Logan when he says they're not aiming to do a complete cpu review but they want to look at what kind of performance you can get with an average gaming system at realistic resolutions like 1080p ( forget 800 x 600, who cares anyway). I think the bulk of the gamers out there will very happy with a gpu like a 7870 or a 670 and in that case, just like they showed, the FX8350 is the better choice since you get the same or better performance for less money than the i5. That doesn't mean the i5 doesn't beat the 8350 in other areas, for example in single threaded programs the i5 is faster but that's not the point here.

Even if you look at the new article at Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html) where they compare the 8350 with the i7 3770K, the FX isn't too far behind (except in Skyrim). So I don't understand people who just claim you have to buy an i5 if you want to have good performance in games, the FX does a darn good job as well !

Sometimes for budget builds AMD is the way to go, but the i5 is much better if you want the best performance in games. Hopefully AMD get a bit more competitive next gen because right now they're really lagging behind. I tend to find AMD GPUs better at the mid-end and Nvidia better at the high end. That is mostly personnel preference though. Drivers especially.
The results in the video strongly contradict your claims .

The FX 8350 is a great processor, but the FX 8320 is actually better in terms of performance/dollar .

Why would I say that, well the FX 8320 is just as good of an overclocker as the FX 8350 in fact on OCN the highest overclock achieved among the fx 8300 owners club was 5.4 Ghz on an H100 with an FX 8320 .

Now when you really think about it. the FX 8320 costs 170$ on amazon & tigerdirect , 50$ cheaper than the 3570 K..

The AMD motherboards are generally cheaper than equivalent Intel ones & you have those 8 cores which will really benefit you if you are doing any productivity workloads .

So why oh why would you buy an intel CPU? it boggles my mind .

The only drawback to the FX CPUs is the power consumption, but because the difference in price is so big, you'd have to run the 3570k rig for 6 years & 4 months to even make the 50$ in price difference.

(running a 3570K @ 4.5Ghz vs running an FX 8350/8320 @ 5Ghz will save you 8 dollars per year).

Yeah, but Intel performs better if you have multiple graphics cards.

Intel is also better single threaded, so it will perform better in any game that prefers single threaded.

The Core i7 is also just better for any compute tasks.

Not this guy again. 8350 beats 3570K at Skyrim @ stock? Yea right. It's so obvious his EVGA Stinger mobo is throttling the 3570K. How does a 670 have 25 FPS for 3570K? I'm no Intel fanboy, I totally agree that the AMD benchies are correct, but the Intel benchmarks are just beyond questionable.

He really doesn't know how to benchmark.

I have an i3 + a brand new 7870. I get 25 - 28 FPS @ stock clocks, max settings - Far Cry 3

A) dude you didn't watch the video

B) they had a GTX670, where did this AMD GPU's come into play?

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

Interesting article when it comes to crossfire

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407.html

If i am going to trust anyone with benchmarks its going to be TTL not Teksyndicate, I watch them more for interesting news and a few laughs more than anything.

that is a unfair test. a i7-3770K at 4.4 vs 8350 at 4.4.

a stock 8350 is a 4.0GHz. A stock 3770K is 3.5GHz. The overclock is almost a GHz overclocked compairing to 0.4GHz overclock on the 8350.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop