Awful experiences with HP

Fgtfv567

So there's been a little bit of derailment in Experiences with Non-Techies talking about how terrible HP is. I've heard about terrible caps, bad cable management, etc.... Oh, and this YouTube video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=akVnl4HIHPY

Now have you guys seen any crap HP has pulled?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I have one of their 5000 series printers... It won't take any ink cartridge that I throw at it... even the ones that came with it in the first place...

I also used to have a 3000 series printer... the ink dried up and the mechanism's timing was off...

So there's been a little bit of derailment in Experiences with Non-Techies talking about how terrible HP is. I've heard about terrible caps, bad cable management, etc.... Oh, and this YouTube video

That's a pretty shitty PC....how much did it cost?

Owned a HP laptop back in 2010. For the most part it was actually pretty good, reliable just not fast. Rendered Sony Vegas videos and recorded HD gameplay back in the day, the HDD did die though but was kinda my fault it got overheated.

To be fair his points don't make a lot of sense. People buying that PC most likely will never be opening their case. They won't care about cable management or upgrades....

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

HA! I laughed when he took the side panel off!

Can't comment on their consumer stuff really, but their pro stuff tends to be pretty good. Got about 30 desktops, 40 laptops, 3 servers and 20 switches at work, and so far I've had one case fan failure for a desktop in over 2 years.

Their printers on the other hand are just as bad as any printers

Edit: The case fan got replaced under warranty next day (love pro warranties!)

That's a pretty shitty PC....how much did it cost?

Owned a HP laptop back in 2010. For the most part it was actually pretty good, reliable just not fast. Rendered Sony Vegas videos and recorded HD gameplay back in the day, the HDD did die though but was kinda my fault it got overheated.

To be fair his points don't make a lot of sense. People buying that PC most likely will never be opening their case. They won't care about cable management or upgrades....

It's a ~$300 PC, so not that fair to bash it. There are a lot of these from a lot of manufacturers.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

My first desktop was prebuilt HP from the AMD APU Llano days, it served me well and it still works. Never had to replace anything except the power supply but that's because it was 300w and I wanted to upgrade.  I also got a monitor and it's alright as for as non-IPS goes.

However, I did have horrible experiences with the Laptops and their Indian tech support no offense to Indian tech fans. But their RMA is alright as far as it goes. Not sure how it is now but they usually send you the box and a paid label, you don't need to pay out of pocket.

Everything from HP of mine broke a week or 2 after the warranty expired...

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Everything from HP of mine broke a week or 2 after the warranty expired...

Specs? When'd you buy it? How long was the warranty?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

HP's more expensive things are pretty good, my machine from 2008 is working perfectly. My $500 model from about 2010 basically died with in about 3 years and had horrid performance.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

It's a ~$300 PC, so not that fair to bash it. There are a lot of these from a lot of manufacturers.

Agreed, a NUC or similar would be a better option in that price range anyway.

I just had a thought:

Should we boycott HP?

Specs? When'd you buy it? How long was the warranty?

laptop+printer, bought same year in 2009-ish. 2 years warranty

didnt trust HP since and living well :)

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

had an hp printer before and didn't use it again after running out of ink

also i remember a cousin's hp laptop having a lot of gpu issues

The only HP desktop(Pavilion p6210f) I've owned had terrible airflow, a shoddy PSU(450w, died with a 350w load), a chipset that overheated, and a really inefficient motherboard(swapping it out with a budget gigabyte board saved me 30-50 watts). Aside from the crappy software preinstalled on it, it wasn't a bad computer(since its fixes were simple and cost effective), but it was far from a good computer. Most of the failures occurred when I started upgrading it(there is no excuse for the chipset and motherboard however).

My brothers Envy M6 blocks the installation of Windows 7 and HP provides non functional drivers for Windows 8(no windows 8.1 drivers available either). Its honestly the worst computer I have worked on.

im on a HP laptop right now.

i.

know.

the.

pain.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

My mom bought a laptop from them that advertised 8 gigs of memory, but shipped with TWO and the motherboard's memory slots where broken so I couldn't add it in for her. I don't trust HP anymore.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Our family computer for about 6 months was a Pavilion dv6000 SE. I've forgotten what processor it had, it was an AMD Vision from 2008. The thing was so slow, Vista was terrible, as well as full of HP's bloatware. you literally had to wait for a right-click from the PS/2-based trackpad to register. I was doing my homework one night and it froze. I was so fed up that I did something very unlike me. I torqued the display. crack, no more display. Mom was absolutely livid, dad pretended to be indifferent, but was jumping for joy straight after. That computer was a nightmare. I booted it up with an external monitor a few years later and for some reason its distro of Vista had decided that it was no longer genuine. I threw it away after 5 years of dad wittering that someone else could use it. No. Never again. I will never touch another HP machine after that. They're cheaply made, slow and unreliable.

You know, people have given me flak for having a Toshiba because they feel cheap and plasticky, but the fact of the matter is, they are freaking tanks and they last for ages. I'll take on an HP with mine any day. The only other laptop manufacturers I might take over Toshiba at this point are MSI, Asus, etc.

My HP laptop dented on my couch. That's their build quality.

Either HP uses thin copper for a case, or you sit on a rock...

That guy is being unfair. If you buy something cheap don't expect it to be high quality. He said like $360 for that computer... I didn't even know desktops could sell for that low to be honest.

I'm on my 3rd Hp desktop atm (which will be the last prebuild, but still on it because money).

Those desktops cost about €700, which is like the high-mid range before you get to the really overpriced stuff. No big problems with those whatsoever.

Also, I'm studying IT for 1.5 years on this laptop with windows 7 installed and an ssd, and that thing is still going like a champ. It was a desktop replacement for someone else so it cost around €1200.- around 6-7 years ago.

TL;dr because I'm feeling that I will make this too long:

From HP I have used 3 desktops, 1 laptop, 2 printers and 2 monitors so far.

A printer and more recently a monitor died on me, and their RMA service was clear and pretty fast considering they sent that shit from where I live to the czech republic.

I have heard enough bad stories about them , but personally, I'm still very positive about HP.

I don't know about you guys, but I take a mediocre product with good service over a good product with bad service any time.

Edit: and what is this crap about people talking about bad cable management etc? Other than getting some dust out of your pc, or installing maybe ram /new storage,

those pc's were never intended to be customized. So of course they take a power supply that is just good enough, and of course you can run into problems when upgrading...

Because that's the business model with those pc's. You buy one, and when it gets crappy, you buy a NEW one.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Either HP uses thin copper for a case, or you sit on a rock...

That couch could be squished in half a foot with no effort.

Never seen that PC before in the review, probably some shitty low end PC they do.

I only supply HP machines to my clients and they are brilliant machines. Mostly HP Pro that even have SSD mounts built in.

Support is great if something rarely goes wrong.

Same for their Servers, support is brilliant for their 350p range.

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

I actually like hp, but the business grade products more. I've heard about quite a few people with hdd problems, but personally never had any.

My previous work had mostly hp, servers, switches printers, laptops and desktops, never really had problems with them and some of the laptops were pretty old too. I had more problems with the 4 dell vostros than all the other combined.

My own probook is stripped in pieces (my cat slept on it and the lcd broke, and took out some parts since then) but it's still running 24/7 for my downloads

And their support is excellent, had a drive fail on one of my servers, swopped it out, (had a backup drive that I got with the servers), and received the replacement drive the next day