Hubble's Keyboard Recommendations for All Price Ranges (check before posting) [now LIVE]

Hello LTT community, this sub forum is flooded with repetitive questions asking for keyboard recommendations at a certain price range with certain features. I thought I would put together a solid, updated, list of keyboard recommendations at different price ranges with different features.

I haven't utilized LTT forums as much as I would like to because of how annoying it is to answer the same questions over and over again, primarily you can find me over at GeekHack under the username DrhubblePhD, hence the topic title.

Quick rundown of Cherry MX switch types:
(taken from Dinky_x on tomshardware forum)

Cherry mx blue - firmer tactile and clicky noise @50g actuation force
Cherry mx brown - softer tactile, no click noise @45g actuation force
Cherry mx red - linear, go straight down and up without any tactile bump @ 45g actuation force
Cherry mx black - linear, linear, go straight down and up without any tactile bump @ 60g actuation force

Note that as STRMfrmXMN pointed out, all prices are subject to fluctuation and in many cases buying used is your best option. There are great marketplaces on both Geekhack and Deskauthority that will have an abundance of used keyboards for sale.

This thread assumes that you have a basic idea of what switch type you are looking for.

So here we go:

$50-99 range (not recommended for most users)

Unicomp classic $80

• buckling spring (IBM model M type switch)
  • Dye sub PBT keycaps

An interesting choice if you want to try a vintage feeling board. Produced by one of the shops responsible for making the old IBM model Ms

Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (TKL) $90

• available in MX blue, brown or red
  • no backlighting
  • ABS laser etched keycaps

A solid starter board for trying out switch types as well as the TKL form factor. This board is pretty solid and has a somewhat annoying rubbercoated finish.

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TKL $100

• avalible in blue brown or red
  • backlighting available in red white and blue
  • ABS laser marked keycaps

Similar to the rapid but with backlighting. Note that this backlighting will not have the same functionality or effects as the Ducky shine 3/4.

Ducky Zero (full sized) $86

• availible in MX blue, black and brown
  • no backlighting

A beginner Ducky board, only recommended if you cannot afford more expensive keyboards.

$100-150 (best entry category)

Filco Majestouch 2 (TKL or full sized) $150

• available in MX blue, brown, black and red
  • no backlighting

A staple of most keyboard enthusiast collection. Extremely sturdy, reliable, and flexible. This board with a set of PBT keycaps is a great way to start off your MK collection.

Ducky Shine 3 (4 just released) $150

• available in MX green, black, brown, blue, and red
  • Full backlighting in red and blue

A great ducky board with complicated and amusing lighting effects. A solid board for anyone looking for a full sized flashy gaming or typing board.

Poker II (60%) keyboard $110

• available in all Cherry MX flavors (clears massdrop exclusive)
  • backlighting available for $10 extra
  • PBT or ABS keycaps (depending on backlighting)
  • laser etched keycaps

A common favorite 60% keyboard. It is compact, sturdy and extremely customizable with widely available aluminum cases and LED options.

Ducky Mini (60%) $120

• available in MX brown, black, red, blue
  • full red and blue backlighting
  • Laser etched ABS keycaps

A very fun 60% keyboard for those who want LED lighting effects in a compact form factor.

KUL ES-87 TKL keyboard $130

• avalible in all Cherry MX flavors
  • no backlighting

An extremely solid typing experience all around. If you are looking for something with a no frill-solid build then this is the board for you.

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK (Full sized) $100 (full sized)

• available in MX blue, brown, red, and green
  • red backlighting

Similar to other CM boards but with backlighting. I would only purchase this if you cannot spare the extra funds for a majestouch or KUL

IBM Model M $110-150 (full sized) on clikeykeyboards.com

• PBT keycaps

I would suggest doing more research before buying one of these.

Das Keyboard Model s Professional (full sized) $135

• available in MX blue or brown
  • no backlighting

Another solid full sized board, perfect for the office. Has restricted switch choices and has a glossy finish that some people will not want to deal with.

WASD custom $145-150 (TKL-Full sized)

• Availible in all MX switch types
  • no backlighting
  • Full keyset customization

Highly customization, for those who want a unique keyboard from the start. Not quite as solid as the filco or KUL.

$150-200 (For those looking for an enthusiast keyboard)

CODE keyboard $150-170

• Available in MX clear and green
  • White backlighting

For those who are looking to experiment with MX clears or greens, has a very classy white backlighting.

CM Novatouch TKL $180

• Topre electrostatic switches with mx compatible stems
  • no backlighting

A great option for those who want to try a Topre board but also want the flexibility of adding their own cherry MX compatible keycaps, which are more available and cheaper than custom Topre keysets.

Realforce 87u EK edition (TKL or Full sized 104) $200

• Topre electrostatic 45g switches
  • no backlighting
  • PBT black on black or black on white keycaps
  • not cherry mx keyset compatible

For those who want an extremely solid, well built, keyboard to explore the true Topre experience (at least in my opinion). Does not contain variable weighting which some people may not like in comparison to the standard 87u. There is also a full sized version of this board which is great for any professional's desk.

Honestly this is an awkward price range, your best bet is choosing something from the previous price range and adding some custom caps. Let me know if there are any glaring choices I missed

$200-$300 (Going above and beyond)

Realforce 87u variable weighted (TKL) $215

• Topre electrostatic switches with variable weighting
  • no backlighting

SImilar to the EK edition RealForce board, extremely good built quality, comes with PBT caps and the variable weighting system which some people may prefer.

Ergodox (ergonomic split design) $200 and up

• Only sold through Massdrop
  • not backlighting compatible
  • must be assembled
  • full customizability
  • full programability

Great for anyone who wants a fully custom, ergonomic option. This will stand out on any desk but it is great for anyone who has frequent wrist pain or wants something unique. Can be used efficiently for gaming unlike some other ergonomic options.

Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 (60%) $260

• Topre electrostatic switches with 45g actuation
  • unique layout
  • no backlighting

An enthusiast favorite for its optimal layout and full features. Easily the best 60% Topre board available (not that there are many). Extremely light as well, some people may be turned off by its lack of solid feeling build because it has a plastic plate instead of the standard steel plate found in most topre boards.

There are many custom options within this price range including custom Phantom, TEX metal case and more. While I dont think that it is appropriate for this forum to list the details here if you are interested these are some terms to get you started with your research.

$300 and above

If you are looking for something truly custom and awsome I can highely recommend GON over at gonskeyboardworks.com. He is based out of South Korea and can make almost anything happen. Otherwise this price range is filled with many aluminum or custom boards.

If you are looking for someone to build you some custom keyboards you can check out my services thread at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65125.0

SORRY POSTED PREMATURELY CHECK BACK FOR MORE INFO LATER

Hello LTT community, this sub forum is flooded with repetitive questions asking for keyboard recommendations at a certain price range with certain features. I thought I would put together a solid, updated, list of keyboard recommendations at different price ranges with different features.

I haven't utilized LTT forums as much as I would like to because of how annoying it is to answer the same questions over and over again, primarily you can find me over at GeekHack under the username DrhubblePhD, hence the topic title. 

So here we go:

$50-100 range

Cooler master quick fire rapid $90 available in MX blue, brown or red, no back-lighting, laser marked keycaps

good idea.. what the best gold plated keyboard? jks i want diamond keys

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

SORRY POSTED PREMATURELY CHECK BACK FOR MORE INFO LATER

Quick rundown of Cherry MX switch types:

(taken from Dinky_x on tomshardware forum)

Cherry mx blue - firmer tactile and clicky noise @50g actuation force
Cherry mx brown - softer tactile, no click noise @45g actuation force
Cherry mx red - linear, go straight down and up without any tactile bump @ 45g actuation force
Cherry mx black - linear, linear, go straight down and up without any tactile bump @ 60g actuation force

So here we go:

$50-99 range (not recommended for most users)

Unicomp classic $80

• Dye sub PBT keycaps

Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (TKL) $90

• available in MX blue, brown or red
  • no backlighting

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TKL $100

• avalible in blue brown or red
  • backlighting available in red white and blue

Ducky Zero (full sized) $86

• availible in MX blue, black and brown
  • no backlighting

$100-150 (best entry category) 

Filco Majestouch 2 (TKL or full sized) $150

• available in MX blue, brown, black and red
  • no backlighting

Ducky Shine 3 (4 just released) $150

• available in MX green, black, brown, blue, and red
  • Full backlighting in red white or blue

Poker II (60%) keyboard $110

• available in all Cherry MX flavors (clears massdrop exclusive)
  • backlighting available for $10 extra
  • PBT or ABS keycaps (depending on backlighting)
  • laser etched keycaps

Ducky Mini (60%) $120

• available in MX brown, black, red, blue
  • full red white or blue backlighting
  • Laser etched ABS keycaps

Kul ES-87 TKL keyboard $130

• avalible in all Cherry MX flavors
  • no backlighting

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK (Full sized) $100 (full sized)

• available in MX blue brown and red
  • red backlighting

IBM Model M $110-150 (full sized) on clikeykeyboards.com

• PBT keycaps

I would suggest doing more research before buying one of these.

Das Keyboard Model s Professional (full sized) $135

• available in MX blue or brown
  • no backlighting

WASD custom $145-150 (TKL-Full sized)

• Availible in all MX switch types
  • no backlighting
  • Full keyset customization

$150-200 (For those looking for an enthusiast keyboard)

CODE keyboard $150-170

• Available in MX clear and green
  • White backlighting

CM Novatouch TKL $180 

• Topre electrostatic switches with mx compatible stems
  • no backlighting

Realforce 87u $200 

• Topre electrostatic 45g switches 
  • no backlighting
  • PBT black on black or  black on white keycaps

This is very similar to to thread in my sig minus the keyboards in the price range.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This is very similar to to thread in my sig minus the keyboards in the price range.

These are my recommendations, you probably have your own and I am not trying to copy anyone. Honestly as I said, I dont spend a ton of time on these forums because of the overcrowded nature of the peripheral sub forum, and I had no clue that this was a similar topic.  :)

These are my recommendations, you probably have your own and I am not trying to copy anyone. Honestly as I said, I dont spend a ton of time on these forums because of the overcrowded nature of the peripheral sub forum, and I had no clue that this was a similar topic.  :)

I understand. My topic hasn't been on the front page of peripherals in days so I can imagine you wouldn't see that thread right away. Also, I didn't bother to include a price segment for keyboards because not only are mechanical keyboards GREAT for buying used, but the price fluctuates so much with restocking and whatnot when new as well that I ultimately decided to give up the idea because there was a sheer lack of consistency with pricing. I also was worried that people would read through the price points and not even bother to look at what switch type they would want first. One might buy a Quickfire Rapid with Blues for example and not even know that Blues have a tactile bump and are LOUD and are unsatisfied with it.

That said, if there's anything you want to use from my thread you can do so (although people more than likely will probably yell at you for "ERMAHGOB YOU COPIED STRM" xD). I might edit my thread a little bit after reading through yours :)

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I understand. My topic hasn't been on the front page of peripherals in days so I can imagine you wouldn't see that thread right away. Also, I didn't bother to include a price segment for keyboards because not only are mechanical keyboards GREAT for buying used, but the price fluctuates so much with restocking and whatnot when new as well that I ultimately decided to give up the idea because there was a sheer lack of consistency with pricing. I also was worried that people would read through the price points and not even bother to look at what switch type they would want first. One might buy a Quickfire Rapid with Blues for example and not even know that Blues have a tactile bump and are LOUD and are unsatisfied with it.

That said, if there's anything you want to use from my thread you can do so (although people more than likely will probably yell at you for "ERMAHGOB YOU COPIED STRM" xD). I might edit my thread a little bit after reading through yours :)

Okay great, I decided to include prices because too often people post asking for boards withing a certain price range with certain features so I just wanted to clear up that clutter.

Okay great, I decided to include prices because too often people post asking for boards withing a certain price range with certain features so I just wanted to clear up that clutter.

Mmkay. No problem!

Nice guide! I think you should add the corsair keyboards too as many like the look.

I myself am debating between kul es-87 and the novatouch. Both are similarily priced where I live. Is there a quality difference in casing that you know of? I would pick an mx red for the kul. But I would really like to try out the topres too.

I think the WASD v2 and Filco majestouch are the same board with different branding and keycaps. I know they are made by the same OEM at least.

I am looking into keyboards with green cherry mx keys and finding very limited

options to say the least.. Do you think i might have more luck with the optional

links you gave? I am asking as you seem to know your keyboards  :P

EDIT: I think i have it.. i think i just visualized the ultimate keyboard.

The frame of the ducky year of the snake edition, swap out the keycaps for some nicer ones, beautifully
dyed keys like the premier edition.  add a 104 key layout and change the wierd upper right keys to a mute
and volume scroll, add optional wrist rest, white led. Green cherry keys. VOILA! the perfect frigging
keyboard.

Why do you say that you don't recommend the 50-100$ range for most people? What is in the upper range that supposedly makes them better? That also applies to everything else that is purely personal preference: If you're going to make a broad recommendation that is not based purely on price, you need to explain it.

How come CoolerMaster is the only gaming brand on the list? I would put Corsair, Razer, SteelSeries and Logitech on there. Corsair and Razer as the primary offerers for RGB backlighting and being the currently most talked about keyboards. SteelSeries should be there just because of 6Gv2 being an excellent, no frills option. Lastly, Logitech should be on the list if for nothing else then the Romer-G switches.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

• 2 weeks later...

This

Nice guide! I think you should add the corsair keyboards too as many like the look.

I myself am debating between kul es-87 and the novatouch. Both are similarily priced where I live. Is there a quality difference in casing that you know of? I would pick an mx red for the kul. But I would really like to try out the topres too.

Sorry haven't responded to this thread in a while. The reason why I can't recommend the corsair boards is because they have non standard spacing on their modifiers so you won't be able to use custom keycaps.

The KUl has a much better build quality, though mx Reds or topre aren't great for typing if that is what you plan on doing.

I am looking into keyboards with green cherry mx keys and finding very limited

options to say the least.. Do you think i might have more luck with the optional

links you gave? I am asking as you seem to know your keyboards :P

EDIT: I think i have it.. i think i just visualized the ultimate keyboard.

The frame of the ducky year of the snake edition, swap out the keycaps for some nicer ones, beautifully

dyed keys like the premier edition. add a 104 key layout and change the wierd upper right keys to a mute

and volume scroll, add optional wrist rest, white led. Green cherry keys. VOILA! the perfect frigging

keyboard.

I think you answered your own question but yes, although the ducks boards don't have the best build they are great if you enjoy backlighting. I should add to the guide though that you should only get backlighting if you like the effect because people should learn to touch type and not rely on backlighting to see the keys.

Why do you say that you don't recommend the 50-100$ range for most people? What is in the upper range that supposedly makes them better? That also applies to everything else that is purely personal preference: If you're going to make a broad recommendation that is not based purely on price, you need to explain it.

How come CoolerMaster is the only gaming brand on the list? I would put Corsair, Razer, SteelSeries and Logitech on there. Corsair and Razer as the primary offerers for RGB backlighting and being the currently most talked about keyboards. SteelSeries should be there just because of 6Gv2 being an excellent, no frills option. Lastly, Logitech should be on the list if for nothing else then the Romer-G switches.

The reason why I can't recommend that price range is because the kind of board you will get is often something you won't be satisfied in the long term with. It will be better for you to save a bit more and get something that really has a more solid build and doesn't skimp out on simple design characteristics.

Cooler master is the only one included because that is the only one I can recommend myself. The other brands have a lot of frills but will skimp on things like kaihl switches instead of cherry mx or even rubber dome in some cases. As for the corsair line you can see my response above.

And just to be clear these are my recommendations, so they should be taken as such.

I think you answered your own question but yes, although the ducks boards don't have the best build they are great if you enjoy backlighting. I should add to the guide though that you should only get backlighting if you like the effect because people should learn to touch type and not rely on backlighting to see the keys.

Never encountered anyone that actually wanted backlighting

for practical purposes, well i did once. But its mostly just for

show. Even i who don't use it don't mind having it :P

The custom keyboard proved to be pretty unattainable if 

i don't want to make it myself. Even then it would likely be

nigh impossible.

Ended up searching for the ducky premier for 8 days straight,

gave up on that aswell :P Now i'm buying a WASD frame and 

putting some nice thick PBT dye-sub ducky keycaps on it. 

Amusingly enough costing more than the ducky premier itself..

Never encountered anyone that actually wanted backlighting

for practical purposes, well i did once. But its mostly just for

show. Even i who don't use it don't mind having it :P

The custom keyboard proved to be pretty unattainable if 

i don't want to make it myself. Even then it would likely be

nigh impossible.

Ended up searching for the ducky premier for 8 days straight,

gave up on that aswell :P Now i'm buying a WASD frame and 

putting some nice thick PBT dye-sub ducky keycaps on it. 

Amusingly enough costing more than the ducky premier itself..

Well as I mentioned in my post I do keyboard modding, my services page is over at geekhack, I could mod you whatever you would like if you are still interested! 

@jacobffeldman Just a head's up about Ducky Mini/Shine 4. They are both using Dual LED's with a Red/Blue combination.

@jacobffeldman Just a head's up about Ducky Mini/Shine 4. They are both using Dual LED's with a Red/Blue combination.

Okay I see, I have only heard secondary testimonials, I don't personally own one. Ill update it now. 

Well as I mentioned in my post I do keyboard modding, my services page is over at geekhack, I could mod you whatever you would like if you are still interested! 

Btw, regarding your previous comment, do you have any experience with the WASD keyboards?

While all duckies might not have the most solid frame, i imagine the aluminum YOTS edition

must have good build quality. I don't literally want that exact frame though, just the slick shape.

The WASD frame looks like a big hulking monstrosity, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more

solid. It is still supposedly roughly the same weight as the thin ducky shine 4. If anything i would say

that likely makes the shine 4 more compact/sturdier.

I don't like the WASD frame all that much, it's so sharp compared to the ducky premier for example

which is much slicker and nicer in my opinion. With rounder edges, more classic compared to the

WASD which i consider abit more showy. 

Btw, regarding your previous comment, do you have any experience with the WASD keyboards?

While all duckies might not have the most solid frame, i imagine the aluminum YOTS edition

must have good build quality. I don't literally want that exact frame though, just the slick shape.

The WASD frame looks like a big hulking monstrosity, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more

solid. It is still supposedly roughly the same weight as the thin ducky shine 4. If anything i would say

that likely makes the shine 4 more compact/sturdier.

I don't like the WASD frame all that much, it's so sharp compared to the ducky premier for example

which is much slicker and nicer in my opinion. With rounder edges, more classic compared to the

WASD which i consider abit more showy. 

Send me a drawing, picture or diagram of what you would like and im sure we can make it happen! The WASD keyboards are relatively sturdy but their key caps are shunned upon because they are thin ABS. 

Send me a drawing, picture or diagram of what you would like and im sure we can make it happen! The WASD keyboards are relatively sturdy but their key caps are shunned upon because they are thin ABS. 

Thanks for the offer :), it's a wee bit late though :/

Yeah, i'm buying the WASD barebones keyboard, then putting some

nice thick PBT ducky keycaps on it that i payed 115$ for :P I would

have thought they would use somewhat decent keycaps, they aren't

exactly cheap, i guess they might be mostly for show over quality.

You should have replied less than 2 weeks ago :P. After all this

time i ran out of willpower and went with a somewhat crummy

compromise. I was under the impression you mainly did modding.

Although i don't think you would be able to acquire the aluminum

frame i want for the keyboard?

Basically the ducky YOTS or ducky premier in aluminum, just modifying

the top right corner for media(mute+scroll wheel) instead of those 4 

strange keys, and getting rid of any branding on the frame, and adding

the functionality of attachable wrist rest if possible. cherry mx green for

the letters and numpad, black for the rest.

As far as i understand they pretty much have to start out with a single 

solid piece of aluminum to get that fully covering frame as opposed

to the sheet underneath (k70 for example) 

All that aluminum aside, i'm sure there are better solutions than the 

WASD frame anyhow... But i guess that doesn't matter anymore :P

/terminate rant

Thanks for the offer :), it's a wee bit late though :/

Yeah, i'm buying the WASD barebones keyboard, then putting some

nice thick PBT ducky keycaps on it that i payed 115$ for :P I would

have thought they would use somewhat decent keycaps, they aren't

exactly cheap, i guess they might be mostly for show over quality.

You should have replied less than 2 weeks ago :P. After all this

time i ran out of willpower and went with a somewhat crummy

compromise. I was under the impression you mainly did modding.

Although i don't think you would be able to acquire the aluminum

frame i want for the keyboard?

Basically the ducky YOTS or ducky premier in aluminum, just modifying

the top right corner for media(mute+scroll wheel) instead of those 4 

strange keys, and getting rid of any branding on the frame, and adding

the functionality of attachable wrist rest if possible. cherry mx green for

the letters and numpad, black for the rest.

As far as i understand they pretty much have to start out with a single 

solid piece of aluminum to get that fully covering frame as opposed

to the sheet underneath (k70 for example) 

All that aluminum aside, i'm sure there are better solutions than the 

WASD frame anyhow... But i guess that doesn't matter anymore :P

/terminate rant

Yeah sorry, as I said I dont come here too often. I could have sourced you something custom or perhaps a TEX alu case from mechanicalkeyboards but im sure you will be happy with what you have!