Audio-Technica ath-m40x + modmic or Hyperx Cllouds?

matgame2

Exactly as the title suggests. I have about $150 to spend and the hyperx's are $79 on amazon now but I want the most bang for the buck so I was considering the audio-technicas. Also I like to carry it around a lot so the audio-technicas are more suited for that. 

the HyperX cloud is going to be a better bang for the buck, but when you consider carrying it suddenly the M40X has two uses and twice the value in my mind. I say M40X+modmic

I personally use the M50 and love them for music and they work well for gaming, certainly better than any gaming marketed heaset I have used.

Exactly as the title suggests. I have about $150 to spend and the hyperx's are $79 on amazon now but I want the most bang for the buck so I was considering the audio-technicas. Also I like to carry it around a lot so the audio-technicas are more suited for that.

You should get m50 if their on offer

But the m40 will sound better than the hyperx cloud for sure

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

No.

Wasting money is bad, generally speaking.

But the m40 will sound better than the hyperx cloud for sure

My budget is $150 so the m50s is like $20 off my budget whereas the m40x is $51 off my budget

No.

Wasting money is bad, generally speaking.

Silly SSL, M50 is a whole ten better and it is not even x.

My budget is $150 so the m50s is like $20 off my budget whereas the m40x is $51 off my budget

And the fact its a waste of cash. 

I would get the Clouds. Mainly because I hate leather ear cup padding, and with the Clouds I believe they give you a pair of leather and a pair of cloth pads.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I would get the Clouds. Mainly because I hate leather ear cup padding, and with the Clouds I believe they give you a pair of leather and a pair of cloth pads.

Yeah but then I'd want something I can carry and wear around fairly easily. By the looks of the the Hyperx's are fairly bulky? and I don't want to look like a complete idiot if I wear them out in public. 

Yeah but then I'd want something I can carry and wear around fairly easily. By the looks of the the Hyperx's are fairly bulky? and I don't want to look like a complete idiot if I wear them out in public. 

Ehh. Yeah that's true. The Coulds definitely do look gamerish compared to other headphones.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

i had the ath-40x for a while but i had problems with the build and noise in the left ear cup so i took them back and i was going to get some hyper x clouds but ended up getting some Logitech g930s instead which work out really good 

the other thing is i read that you want to walk around with your headphones with the ath-40x the cables are really long and it makes it a pain to walk around with if i was you i would get the hyper x clouds a mate of mine has them and he loves them 

the other thing is i read that you want to walk around with your headphones with the ath-40x the cables are really long and it makes it a pain to walk around with if i was you i would get the hyper x clouds a mate of mine has them and he loves them 

But doesn't the coiled cable solve this?  Either way by carry around I meant I won't only be using it at my pc, I'd be using it with my phone when travelling, guitar amp (maybe) etc. 

the coiled cable is still really long 

Eh I'll probably only be using them at home, in the car and possibly airplanes etc and i think they come with a short cable or it might be just the m50x's that do but cable length with it isn't a big issue

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Also I'd be using it to plug into my guitar amp is the m40's good for that?

Also I'd be using it to plug into my guitar amp is the m40's good for that?

What it was designed for.

What are you nuts ? Get the M50x's with that modmic.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

What are you nuts ? Get the M50x's with that modmic.

Why? The M40x and M50x sound the same? If you were to spend that much you could get a legitimately better headphone. 

Why? The M40x and M50x sound the same? If you were to spend that much you could get a legitimately better headphone. 

I would say get that older m50. Well, he gave us two options. I would recommend a sennheiser Momentum On ears. But that's just me. 

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

I would say get that older m50. Well, he gave us two options. I would recommend a sennheiser Momentum On ears. But that's just me. 

I own those too, still cost more then the M40x, sounds the same, shitter pads, and no removable cable. Therefore overpriced and irrelevant. MOE would make a really bad monitor. 

I'd get an open headphone like the AKG K240 and a cheaper microphone like the Zalman Zm-Mic1 or Sony ECMCS3 clip mic.

Open is generally better sound and better for gaming imo.

I'd get an open headphone like the AKG K240 and a cheaper microphone like the Zalman Zm-Mic1 or Sony ECMCS3 clip mic.

Open is generally better sound and better for gaming imo.

He wants a portable headphone, open is out of the question. 

He wants a portable headphone, open is out of the question. 

Well, semi-open should be allright.

Still, a modmic from Antlion might be overpriced while he could get the Zalman or Sony mic, which still stands as a recommendation.

Well, semi-open should be allright.

Still, a modmic from Antlion might be overpriced while he could get the Zalman or Sony mic, which still stands as a recommendation.

Mic choices where fine, but OP is looking for a portable monitor, and the M40x is a solid choice. I would go DT770M's or 7506's. 

Mic choices where fine, but OP is looking for a portable monitor, and the M40x is a solid choice. I would go DT770M's or 7506's. 

Okay, let's play along with closed.

Better options imo than the M40:Beyerdynamics DT770, AKG K-171, KRK KNS-6400, Sony MDR 7506

(I don't really like the sound of Audio Technica M-series... or Sennheiser... personal preference)