Finishing a Build, AMD FX 6300 vs the Intel core- i3 4150.

With AMD, you'll get a bunch of pretty good cores, good for multitasking and editing. So... If you produce stuff, go with AMD.

With the i3, you only get two cores... sad. You should go for a quad. A quad core processor will get you a more optimized gaming experience with a little better multitasking. so, for a whole two years of having to deal with whatever you choose, I highly reccomend meeting yourself somewhere in the middle, either paying a little more for a core i5, or paying a little less for an AMD quad core, providing you won't be editing. I sure hope this helps! With the quad core, i know it seems like less if you go with AMD, but trust me. Sometimes less is more. Cooling will also be gobs better with a quad core over the six core. Good luck! :D

*_*_*_*_*_*_*Personal Rig*_*_*_*_*_*_*

CPU: Core i7 7700k @ 5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SSC ACX 3.0

MOBO: ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI/AC

RAM: 16 GB HyperX Fury

COOLER: NZXT Kraken X52

CASE: NZXT S340 Elite

STORAGE:  500GB NVME Samsung 960 Pro

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

4TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM)

Also, you have a crazy GPU to be putting in with a tiny little i3... A little sacrafice on the GPU could bring you up to an i5. Bottlenecking is probably no issue, but you could equalize overall performance by putting more into the CPU and less into the GPU. Putting all your eggs in one half of the basket makes the whole basket unbalanced. All the eggs will fall out. Also, I would definitely go with 2 4GB sticks of ram rather than a single 8GB. More bandwidth utilization. Everything'll run better!

*_*_*_*_*_*_*Personal Rig*_*_*_*_*_*_*

CPU: Core i7 7700k @ 5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SSC ACX 3.0

MOBO: ASROCK Z270 Killer SLI/AC

RAM: 16 GB HyperX Fury

COOLER: NZXT Kraken X52

CASE: NZXT S340 Elite

STORAGE:  500GB NVME Samsung 960 Pro

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

4TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM)

Also, you have a crazy GPU to be putting in with a tiny little i3... A little sacrafice on the GPU could bring you up to an i5. Bottlenecking is probably no issue, but you could equalize overall performance by putting more into the CPU and less into the GPU. Putting all your eggs in one half of the basket makes the whole basket unbalanced. All the eggs will fall out. Also, I would definitely go with 2 4GB sticks of ram rather than a single 8GB. More bandwidth utilization. Everything'll run better!

Is the jump from the r9 270x to the 280 siginificant?

The i3 completely destroys the fx 6300 for gaming , it even beats the amd eight cores. 

LGA 1150 has better upgrade path , the i3 consumes less power produces less heat and has better

emulation performance by far.

I Love my i3 , this cpu handles every game i throw at it , the only game that will struggle with this cpu

is starcitzen( people have told me so  i havent tried it)
Its a no brainer really..

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/3/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2qqyr9/i3_beating_amd_eight_cores_in_multiple_titles/

i3 hands down.  Better for now and the future.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You do use programs which will benefit from more cores, however, considering the fact that you will be upgrading soon, I would go i3 and then when you have the cash i7. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Is the jump from the r9 270x to the 280 siginificant?

Yes, very.

We're talking medium-high with the 270X to high-ultra with the 280.  It will perform better from day one, as well as last a lot longer, giving it more useful life before you would need to upgrade.  Anything less than 3GB of VRAM on a GPU is obsolete looking towards the future.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/05/19/amd-radeon-r9-280-review-feat-xfx/7

Its not that significant , you can OC a 270x to get 280 performance .

But i suggest the 280  , not because of its much faster but because it has a lot more VRAM.

I play every game at ultra with my 270x , albeit not a 1080p.

Would the 280 pair well with an i3? By the way, in case you need to know, I have 1 23.6" 1920 x 1080 monitor and 1 19" 1440 x 900 monitor 720p monitor (obviously not 1440p)

Would the 280 pair well with an i3? By the way, in case you need to know, I have 1 23.6" 1920 x 1080 monitor and 1 19" 1440 x 900 monitor 720p monitor (obviously not 1440p)

yes its a good match, go for it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well I haven't personally used an FX-6300, but based on what I've seen from videos on YouTube (and believe me I watched hundreds) it looks like the i3-4150 would be better for gaming overall than the FX-6300. Even in Battlefield 4 which can use a ton of threads and is really CPU intensive, it appears the i3 will provide better performance.

My friend just built a rig using an i3-4150 and R9 270 and it runs great in Battlefield 3 and World of Warcraft; better than even FX-9590 in those games with a similar GPU (actually his i3-4150 and R9 270 resulted in better performance than FX-9590 and GTX 760). But like I said, this is just going on YouTube videos and for all I know the uploaders are using Fraps or Dxtory which takes a big performance hit.

I would personally go for the Intel i3. Higher single-threaded performance seems to pay off more even if a game can use more threads. But if you do a lot of video editing or spreadsheets and stuff, you may find the FX-6300 more beneficial.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Still haven't told us what you were going to use the system for...

But assuming you are just gaming, then maybe consider the G3258, since you are going to upgrade in a year or so?

A highly overclocked G3258 will beat the i3 in most games and is even comparable to the gaming performance of an i7 in some games. Since the G3258 is on the same LGA 1150 platform, you still can reuse the mobo in the future.

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

But assuming you are just gaming, then maybe consider the G3258, since you are going to upgrade in a year or so?

A highly overclocked G3258 will beat the i3 in most games and is even comparable to the gaming performance of an i7 in some games. Since the G3258 is on the same LGA 1150 platform, you still can reuse the mobo in the future.

Ehh I wouldn't look at a G3258 if he's willing to spend enough for an i3 or FX-6300.

The G3258 has pretty high frametime variance and can cause big framerate spikes in some cases. Definitely incredible for the price, but I wouldn't recommend it over the i3 since you'd be looking at less consistent framerates and awful performance in the odd game that really likes having 4 threads (such as Watch Dogs).

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Ehh I wouldn't look at a G3258 if he's willing to spend enough for an i3 or FX-6300.

The G3258 has pretty high frametime variance and can cause big framerate spikes in some cases. Definitely incredible for the price, but I wouldn't recommend it over the i3 since you'd be looking at less consistent framerates and awful performance in the odd game that really likes having 4 threads (such as Watch Dogs).

But an i3 is just a dual core + hyperthreading. So in games that utilizes 4 threads, even the i3 would suffer

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

Really guys then why do every site i go to newegg.com.ca/ amazon/ ncix all amd cpus are rated higher than intel's !

fx 8350 is still the best selling cpu on every site i look at top sellers and highest rated. 

Really guys then why do every site i go to newegg.com.ca/ amazon/ ncix all amd cpus are rated higher than intel's !

fx 8350 is still the best selling cpu on every site i look at top sellers and highest rated. 

"It booted" 5/5 stars.

Newegg, Amazon, etc reviews are irrelevant. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

"It booted" 5/5 stars.

Newegg, Amazon, etc reviews are irrelevant. 

Nah most reviews say how good it runs for price and all there games play so well.  

But an i3 is just a dual core + hyperthreading. So in games that utilizes 4 threads, even the i3 would suffer

Far Cry 4 works with an i3, but some benchmarks show the G3258 completely unusable. Hyperthreading does help quite a bit in comparison when the threads are actually used.

Nah most reviews say how good it runs for price and all there games play so well.

If I told you I shot myself in the foot and it healed up pretty quickly, would you shoot yourself in the foot, too?

A lot of those reviewers have only gone as far in terms or reaserching as "this has lots of cores and games work," they haven't actually cared to study the advantages and disadvantages to a processor. I've had experience with both Intel and AMD's enthusiast offerings, and AMD is miles behind in terms of performance. AMD for gaming is is a bad idea all over.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Far Cry 4 works with an i3, but some benchmarks show the G3258 completely unusable. Hyperthreading does help quite a bit in comparison when the threads are actually used.

If I told you I shot myself in the foot and it healed up pretty quickly, would you shoot yourself in the foot, too?

A lot of those reviewers have only gone as far in terms or reaserching as "this has lots of cores and games work," they haven't actually cared to study the advantages and disadvantages to a processor. I've had experience with both Intel and AMD's enthusiast offerings, and AMD is miles behind in terms of performance. AMD for gaming is is a bad idea all over.

There still cheaper especially when im from Canada and products that are 140-150$ for you are 200$ here. 

There still cheaper especially when im from Canada and products that are 140-150$ for you are 200$ here.

Electrical, cooling, and motherboard costs change the pricing dramatically.

For the FX-6300 to perform closer to an i3 in gaming, you need a cooling solution and a good $80-100 motherboard. So a $100 CPU, plus $100-120 with motherboard and cooling.

With an i3, you buy a $130 i3 and a $50 motherboard. That's significantly less, without even taking electricity into consideration.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Electrical, cooling, and motherboard costs change the pricing dramatically.

For the FX-6300 to perform closer to an i3 in gaming, you need a cooling solution and a good $80-100 motherboard. So a $100 CPU, plus $100-120 with motherboard and cooling.

With an i3, you buy a $130 i3 and a $50 motherboard. That's significantly less, without even taking electricity into consideration.

exactly in fact even a core i5 is cheaper than an FX once you consider tge whole deal...this is as cheap as it gets on both sides...see, even in canada the FX is not worth it...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($108.98 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($32.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($116.00 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $257.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 02:18 EST-0500

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $239.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-01 02:22 EST-0500

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

With AMD, you'll get a bunch of pretty good cores, good for multitasking and editing. So... If you produce stuff, go with AMD.

With the i3, you only get two cores... sad. You should go for a quad. A quad core processor will get you a more optimized gaming experience with a little better multitasking. so, for a whole two years of having to deal with whatever you choose, I highly reccomend meeting yourself somewhere in the middle, either paying a little more for a core i5, or paying a little less for an AMD quad core, providing you won't be editing. I sure hope this helps! With the quad core, i know it seems like less if you go with AMD, but trust me. Sometimes less is more. Cooling will also be gobs better with a quad core over the six core. Good luck! :D

The i3 is hyperthreaded so it isn't technically a dual core. And trust me the fx 6300s cores aren't good...they are old and have similar single threaded performance to core 2 duos.

Fl studio, ni massive, ae, photoshop, unity 3d, autodesk maya and gaming of course

The hyper-threading makes a huge difference. Even when overclocked the G3258 typically becomes the bottleneck before an i3 would.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae/4