AMD's 5Ghz CPU will NOT be sold through retail.

MetroP

WOW

WOW

WOW

WOW

WOW
WOW

WOW

WOW

The 220W TDP might be the reason, since it needs a strong cooler, even liquid cooling systems, which people on the DIYlb_icon1.png market don't often buy, and which custom-made desktop vendors have more experience choosing and installing anyway.

They should just treat it like intel treats the 2011 CPU's, no stock cooler and a high price.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I think that mus be some kind of misunderstanding, why create a chip to make enthusiasts go nuts about it and not sell to them?(or to the not so enthusiasts ones)

My guess is they are going to be VERY limited. It's really just the cherry picked 8350 capable of huge overclocking. Probably only a small fraction will be capable of doing the required speeds.

So I think they will make more money if they sell them to the system builders than to retailers... but again, I have no clue.

Yep, there probably won't be many because you're basically paying to make sure you win the silicon lottery.

I wonder what kind of motherboard is gonna be paired with it then

Maybe they just found out that it's getting too hot and they don't want (more) complaints about burned down computers.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

maybe this means the piledrivers are going to be 6ghz :DD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Lets hope so :). Damn I was really looking forward to the 9590 coming out :(

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Lets hope so :). Damn I was really looking forward to the 9590 coming out :(

me too :( hopefully piledriver kicks the 9590s ass :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The reason for this is that, simply put, the average joe can't be trusted to have proper cooling for it. Some newbie is gonna go "ZOMG 5.0 GHZ" slap a hyper 212 on this thing and fry his system. 

The reason for this is that, simply put, the average joe can't be trusted to have proper cooling for it. Some newbie is gonna go "ZOMG 5.0 GHZ" slap a hyper 212 on this thing and fry his system. 

^^has a point but i'm sure the enthusiast knows better and that's what this chip was marketed toward, the enthusiast. 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

^^has a point but i'm sure the enthusiast knows better and that's what this chip was marketed toward, the enthusiast. 

Marketed towards yes, but unless they are going to make you pass a test to buy it they can't guarantee that. Again, you runt he risk of some rich kid (because you would have to be rich to buy this) getting hyped about the speed, and getting it without adequate cooling, and when you consider how much they are going to cost and how limited they will be AMD can't afford to replace a single one of these chips because of users not getting adequate cooling. 

Do you mean steamroller? because current 9590 and 8350 use piledriver module.

Do you mean steamroller? because current 9590 and 8350 use piledriver module.

lol yes, steamroller! >.> amd confuses me :c

Marketed towards yes, but unless they are going to make you pass a test to buy it they can't guarantee that. Again, you runt he risk of some rich kid (because you would have to be rich to buy this) getting hyped about the speed, and getting it without adequate cooling, and when you consider how much they are going to cost and how limited they will be AMD can't afford to replace a single one of these chips because of users not getting adequate cooling. 

Well said. I agree.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

well they could just include a beefy cooler instead of the horrible stock ones cpus always come with

That would be amazing, but I sadly don't think that will happen :'(

Weird choices from AMD, not sure how investors would like them considering they weren't doing too well not long ago...

well they could just include a beefy cooler instead of the horrible stock ones cpus always come with

Adds cost to what is already going to be a high priced chip and, frankly, an H100i would struggle with this thing. You need a full custom loop for a 5 GHz Piledriver, and there's no point in adding that cost. 

I haven't seen many OEM systems with proper cooling or FX cpus, if I think about it I have never seen a amd/ati gpu in a OEM system, always gt 630 3gb cards or something extremely silly like that. And a weird choice from AMD I can probably see why, they must be very limited in quantities and proper cooling would be needed so some first time builder who throws all the moneys at his PC buys it because he gets hyped up from 5 ghz and destroys his mobo. And you cant have site that only sells for people with knowledge

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I think that mus be some kind of misunderstanding, why create a chip to make enthusiasts go nuts about it and not sell to them?(or to the not so enthusiasts ones)

Why should enthusiasts go nuts about a bunch of top-percentile tested 8350s that they've saved up in a bin over the production year and stuck a different number on and factory overclocked? This is precisely the thing an enthusiast wouldn't touch with a slingshot. This is perfect for the home PC prebuilt market, as it's more of a capitalise-on-ignorance marketing thing.

Adds cost to what is already going to be a high priced chip and, frankly, an H100i would struggle with this thing. You need a full custom loop for a 5 GHz Piledriver, and there's no point in adding that cost. 

Phanteks, Be Quiet! and Noctua all have 1 air cooler each rated for 220W TDP.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.