Why do threads get locked so quick just because there is one similar somewhere else?

orangecat

It is so annoying when a thread gets locked by a mod because someone posted something similar a month ago or whatever unless the thread is offensive or a problem i don't see why it should get locked. I bet this thread will get locked or deleted for me posting about it but i don't' care.

INSTA-LOCK!

It's annoying when you can't post in your own thread. If it has been made already somewhere else a link would be nice not lock.

Because there is no need for 5 threads about the same thing. we dont need 15 xbox one threads or 25 AMD vs intel. it just keeps the forum clean.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Because there is no need for 5 threads about the same thing. we dont need 15 xbox one threads or 25 AMD vs intel. it just keeps the forum clean.

I can understand if there is a excessive amount but if there is only like 3 for 4 its not a problem i have had a bunch of my thread locked because i wasn't able to find a thread that was posted before.

I can understand if there is a excessive amount but if there is only like 3 for 4 its not a problem i have had a bunch of my thread locked because i wasn't able to find a thread that was posted before.

I do to but either way its unneeded and it would help if the search worked and by taking down duplicates that helps make the search work better.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

There is kommunism on on the forum,because you can't say anything that you want, if someone is already posted at that thing.

I understand if there is a bunch or a seriously popular thread and your posting to start your own version of it i can see why it would get locked but if there is only a very small amount of the same thread who acres.

I do to but either way its unneeded and it would help if the search worked and by taking down duplicates that helps make the search work better.

What if a thread gets old and nobody is looking at it anymore or what if it has 1023837293+ replies if you  post in ti odds are you wont get help.

I understand if there is a bunch or a seriously popular thread and your posting to start your own version of it i can see why it would get locked but if there is only a very small amount of the same thread who acres.

What was that thread about?

What if a thread gets old and nobody is looking at it anymore or what if it has 1023837293+ replies if you  post in ti odds are you wont get help.

if it is a "dead" thread like a month without comments then they shouldn't take it down. but like what you had done where there was one literally 3 min before you posted it should be taken down because you can just go to that one and say "ya i agree" and things like "windows 7 vs 8" or "AMD vs Intel" or all that crap there is no need for 50 of them. again it keeps it clean. Ive started to unless it is something large i just make it a status. and remember they are the ones who make the rules and no matter what you say unless it is like a big important thing that you make a good argument for they wont change it. it qualifies as spam which is against the rules. 

What was that thread about?

The last thread I posted was about the new logo at the top of the forum butt here was a already a thread with 6 posts and I got locked and WindSpeed didn't even link me to the new post he just locked it and said there is already a post.

The last thread I posted was about the new logo at the top of the forum butt here was a already a thread with 6 posts and I got locked and WindSpeed didn't even link me to the new post he just locked it and said there is already a post.

They should even post a link.

if it is a "dead" thread like a month without comments then they shouldn't take it down. but like what you had done where there was one literally 3 min before you posted it should be taken down because you can just go to that one and say "ya i agree" and things like "windows 7 vs 8" or "AMD vs Intel" or all that crap there is no need for 50 of them. again it keeps it clean. Ive started to unless it is something large i just make it a status. and remember they are the ones who make the rules and no matter what you say unless it is like a big important thing that you make a good argument for they wont change it. it qualifies as spam which is against the rules. 

I understand it can be considered spam but not everybody sees cretin posts and yea I know there are rules and that is one of them but no need to lock the post just redirect the person.

They should even post a link.

If I have to do the work to find a post they can at least link me if I wasn't able to find it.

I don't think anyone was blaming you, to be honest your title was better and easier to search for. Just a timing thing...

Merging them might have been a possibility, but seeing as it was so new, probably just easier to lock and drive all the traffic to the other.

Joel had already left the link on the page. Normally I would copy and paste but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment sorting out things, sorry.

Joel had already left the link on the page. Normally I would copy and paste but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment sorting out things, sorry.

Everyone can use search, so that link is not so nessesary.

Locking threads is an attempt to keep clutter to a minimum. Forums like this tend to become very messy over time.

As windspeed stated there was a link to the other thread already - we usually try to state the original thread, I haven't sent that out as an actual rule but I will now because it makes sense, although if the original thread is linked by another member within that thread it may not happen or we may just say, in some form, to see the members post above for the link.

A locked thread should not be taken personally, we realize our search isn't the greatest thing out there we are just simply trying to keep the forum clutter free!

We usually only lock threads started within a few days of the most recent post on a thread of the same nature. If, like you said, the thread is 3 months old but still getting posted in then we may lock your thread if you make a new one. But if it has been 3 months since the last post - then we would allow your thread to grow!

I hope this clears things up :)

Well i'm not trying to cause a problem but I just wanted to say its annoying that's all.

Locking threads is an attempt to keep clutter to a minimum. Forums like this tend to become very messy over time.

As windspeed stated there was a link to the other thread already - we usually try to state the original thread, I haven't sent that out as an actual rule but I will now because it makes sense, although if the original thread is linked by another member within that thread it may not happen or we may just say, in some form, to see the members post above for the link.

A locked thread should not be taken personally, we realize our search isn't the greatest thing out there we are just simply trying to keep the forum clutter free!

We usually only lock threads started within a few days of the most recent post on a thread of the same nature. If, like you said, the thread is 3 months old but still getting posted in then we may lock your thread if you make a new one. But if it has been 3 months since the last post - then we would allow your thread to grow!

Then why they lock it?

Deleting would look cleaner.

The only reason im making kind of a big deal is when a thread gets locked there is no reason why it seems rude. I know why windspeed locked the thread but there should be a reason somewhere on the page stating why it was locked. it seems rude to lock a thread so quickly and not say why other then "there was already a thread"

Then why they lock it?

Deleting would look cleaner.

If they just delete it you would get pissed thread creators.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black