Internet Privacy Will Be Hard To Find In 2025 , Experts Say..

b4-730x336.jpg

Ever Wondered how our digital life would be in 2025? The Pew Research Center published a report in which a majority of experts agree that our current expectations of digital privacy may be completely gone by 2025. More than 2,500 experts weighed in on security, liberty and privacy online and whether there will be a "trusted privacy-rights infrastructure" in place by 2025 that lets people protect their personal data easily.

"Unfortunately, we will have given up on privacy by 2025, or we will have re-interpreted what it means"

- Ian Peter

One respondent suggested that as the Internet continues to expand, the very idea of privacy will become a fringe activity.

priv.jpg

Overall, 2,511 respondents weighed in on the following questions:

Security, liberty, privacy online

1. Will policy makers and technology innovators create a secure, popularly accepted, and trusted privacy-rights infrastructure by 2025 that allows for business innovation and monetization while also offering individuals choices for protecting their personal information in easy-to-use formats?
  2. elaborate the answer.Describe what you think the reality will be in 2025 when it comes to the overall public perception about whether policy makers and corporations have struck the right balance between personal privacy, secure data, and compelling content and apps that emerge from consumer tracking and analytics.
  3. Consider the future of privacy in a broader social context. How will public norms about privacy be different in 2025 from the way they are now?

Of the respondents, 55% said no, that will not happen, while 45% found this a reasonable outcome. They all agreed, however, that there is something inherently public about the Internet.

online-privacy.jpg

Here are some of the quotes from experts (few hand picked , please see source links down below to go through over 90+ quotes)

“As Google Glass and attendant projects grow, the so-called Internet of Things becomes increasingly aware of literally everything," said one attorney from a major law firm who participated in the study. "As programmers begin jumping on algorithmic schemes to sift, curate, and predict the data, notions of privacy will be considered a fetish.”

Here are a few more interesting quotes from the experts

In the next 10 years, I would expect to see the development of more encryption technologies and boutique services for people prepared to pay a premium for greater control over their data. This is the creation of privacy as a luxury good. It also has the unfortunate effect of establishing a new divide: the privacy rich and the privacy poor. Whether genuine control over your information will be extended to the majority of people—and for free seems very unlikely, without a much stronger policy commitment.
                                                                                                                                                                              Kate Crawford, professor and researcher

By 2025, there will have been enough collection and monitoring of anyone connected to the Internet that there will be no need for privacy. Your total privacy is almost gone at this point already… Once you get everyone to throw away their computer and only use their cell phones for everything, you have them and everything about them.

- Larry Gell,  International Agency for Economic Development (IAED)

“Privacy will be the new taboo and will not be appreciated or understood by upcoming generations.”

There is no putting the genie back in the bottle. Widespread sensors, databases, and computational power will result in less privacy in today's sense but will also result in less harm due to the establishment of social norms and regulations about how to deal with privacy issues. By 2025, the current debate about privacy will seem quaint and old-fashioned. The benefits of cloud-based, personal, digital assistants will be so overwhelming that putting restrictions on these services will be out of the question. Of course, there will be people who choose not to use such services, but they will be a small minority. Everyone will expect to be tracked and monitored, since the advantages, in terms of convenience, safety, and services, will be so great.

- Hal Varian,

Society's memory is short—Stalinism, Maoism, Nazism, and McCarthyism happened too long ago to worry about.

- Bob Briscoe, British Telecom

I expect that in 2025 we will still be having the same discussions about privacy we are having today, but that the challenges have gotten harder due to advances in technology.

Jason Hong, an associate professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University

“The citizens will divide between those who prefer convenience and those who prefer privacy.”

“Individuals are willing to give up privacy for the reasons of ease, fastness, and convenience… If anything, consumer tracking will increase, and almost all data entered online will be considered ‘fair game’ for purposes of analytics and producing ‘user-driven’ ads. Privacy is an archaic term when used in reference to depositing information online. Unlike writing a note of secrecy and keeping it safely guarded inside a vault, keeping information hidden and secure online is radically different. Any vault can be ransacked, but imagine the robbers are hundreds of thousands of miles away, invisible and while traceable, takes time and resources the victim may not have. We live in an age where we all feel like rulers to our information, kings and queens of bank accounts, yet we are not; herein lies the problem.

- Gina Neff,

No security system can protect a person who steps outside of protections, people can and will do that... I do expect, however, and long before 2025, that the use of encryption on the Net will expand dramatically... If we must assume continuous and pervasive service-based and crowd-sourced surveillance, and monetization of its results, we must also assume that the information gleaned will be available to anyone that can pay to obtain it. That essentially creates a ‘small town’ dynamic on a global scale—people become more careful about what they reveal, and everybody knows the dirty secrets anyway.

- Fred Baker, Internet pioneer, longtime leader in the IETF, and Cisco Systems Fellow

Pretty much a good topic for discussion, i think it's a good thing that viable people starting to recognize the amount of data being dumped over the interwebs & people not noticing how dangerous that is & don't think twice, already it's been too gargantuous & if it needs to be organized the data to be sifted through , all of it & set to be private, an impossible task as of now, But aside privacy concerns there needs to be oversight as well imo , using NSA was a good example (i know :/) they were doing a pretty good job, but it's a touchy issue ,, unless people find a viable solution those kind of reforms are the only thing that is keeping the internet in control.

i simply wish AI could take over this area(i could be wrong) for analyzing threats & they will have more refined fine precise control over it than actual people judging , because those judgement can/could/will be biased (human nature)

What are your opinions & thoughts on this issue? Post 'em down below...

News Courtesy:

http://mashable.com/2014/12/22/privacy-fantasy-pew/

Original Source: (experts opinions organized in here)

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/12/18/privacy-in-2025-experts-predictions/

Further reads:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/12/18/future-of-privacy/

Details separate people.

They all agreed, however, that there is something inherently public about the Internet.

You never had any privacy on the internet, you never will.

That's bullshit. Internet allows you to study, work and participate in discussions/activism while exposing much less of yourself than you would be offline.

The internet is a tool. There's nothing inherently private or public about a tool.

It can be used to make private information either way more accessible or way less accessible than before. It's just that the general public is illiterate and lazy and so goes for the convenient 'free' services which are provided by companies built around selling user data.

If there is nothing private about the net by 2025 then how are we going to do our banking and what network are doctors and hospitals going to use to transfer patient files?  Also if there is no privacy of data online does that mean all government, corporation and utilities data will be open for anyone to peruse?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"Experts"

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well it is like being in the middle of a huge public place and argue about your privacy. The internet cannot and it never did provide any sort of privacy. What it has always provided and hopefully will in the future as well is anonymity. These two are different things. For example, this is a public forum, but nobody knows my real name, or anything about me, which I have not published, just like when you go outside in a park, nobody knows your identity. That is what we have to defend...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

That's bullshit. Internet allows you to study, work and participate in discussions/activism while exposing much less of yourself than you would be offline.

The internet is a tool. There's nothing inherently private or public about a tool.

It can be used to make private information either way more accessible or way less accessible than before. It's just that the general public is illiterate and lazy and so goes for the convenient 'free' services which are provided by companies built around selling user data.

Whenever you visit a web page they can see your IP, location and ISP information and they can track you down to find out what they want about you if they need to.

No surprise there.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If the distributors makes the content easily accessible worldwide then yes...

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I told someone that on instagram once and they blocked me.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What's privacy?

call-of-duty-black-ops-2-the-future-is-b

Time to go off the grid.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

We never had privacy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I honestly couldn't care less about online privacy. I got nothing to hide?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Don't worry about it too much. Things will change a bit once people who don't need to ask their grandchildren how a mouse works are in charge.

Right and no house is completely burglar proof. That means that you will leave your door wide fucking open, invite anyone at any time to come in? Didn't think so.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Right and no house is completely burglar proof. That means that you will leave your door wide fucking open, invite anyone at any time to come in? Didn't think so.

That's a completely different thing, but okay if you want to use that as a valid comparison..

That's a completely different thing, but okay if you want to use that as a valid comparison..

No it is not: There is no completely safe security scheme and anything can potentially be bypassed. It doesn't means that the difficulty in doing so isn't important or certain people having unrestricted access to bypass security measures is a good idea.

But if you want to stick to your "we're screwed anyway" then YOU can go right ahead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No it is not: There is no completely safe security scheme and anything can potentially be bypassed. It doesn't means that the difficulty in doing so isn't important or certain people having unrestricted access to bypass security measures is a good idea.

But if you want to stick to your "we're screwed anyway" then YOU can go right ahead.

It's that you don't realise whenever you access the internet you already set your door open, and the NSA and other spying instances are like invisable ghosts walking around in hour house.

It's that you don't realise whenever you access the internet you already set your door open, and the NSA and other spying instances are like invisable ghosts walking around in hour house.

No. You're assuming that 

1) I am on an american ISP

2) I am using Windows

3) I am using unencrypted connections without a VPN

And even if 1 to 3 were true that is still not a good idea to just give the fuck up since what the NSA is doing is flatout illegal so it's still like breaking and entry defense claiming "oh you already know that ANY crowbar can pry open your windows, you should realize that you'd have no security when you bought a house with windows and doors!" 

-------

Current Rig

-------

All I can see is that the demand for newer standards of encryption and VPN"s will continue to grow and that means further competition in that regard which should lead to many lowering their prices(hopefully).  As Tim Berners-Lee has said, we need a reset.  De-centralize things, put encryption at the top of everyone's list, and focus on protecting the web and ourselves.  Establish an Internet Bill of Right's of some sort.  Regardless of what these experts say - privacy will still be alive and kicking, but encryption will likely have grown hugely.  Standard freedom and privacy will have probably been long gone, -unless- governments make some -massive- changes and suddenly say, "Ya'know.. we have enough data for now.  Let's give the people what they want." *Suddenly hell freeze's over*  But I don't think it'll be hard to find, it will just be through a VPN.  Likely if people in the future keep having a need for anti-malware and anti-virus' / security - they'll also have a VPN on their system.  Hell, Microsoft could probably include a VPN in future iterations of windows.  That'd be kind of nice.

You don't have much now, I mean google knows everything about you.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No. You're assuming that 

1) I am on an american ISP

2) I am using Windows

3) I am using unencrypted connections without a VPN

And even if 1 to 3 were true that is still not a good idea to just give the fuck up since what the NSA is doing is flatout illegal so it's still like breaking and entry defense claiming "oh you already know that ANY crowbar can pry open your windows, you should realize that you'd have no security when you bought a house with windows and doors!" 

I am now aware that your knowledge of how everything works is really small, nevermind my attempt to learn you something.