HTML5 or Flash website?

MzCatieB

OK so I am working on building a website for my portfolio (long overdue) and I am looking for people opinions/ preferences towards Flash and HTML5.

The website I am creating is strictly for Portfolio reasons and will mostly be visual based, however I really want to create it from scratch.

HTML5:

HTML5 is becoming the new standard for all websites and is visually stunning however i have very little experience with using it.

Flash:

​Flash if done correctly can be very fluid and visually amazing, I have allot more experience with Flash because of the work I do, however loading times for other users can pose a possible issue.

What would you use in my situation?

What is your opinions on both HTML5 and Flash?

Character artist in the Games industry.

I'd recommend HTML5, purely for the better compatibility with mobile devices. More and more web browsing is being done on mobile devices than ever before, so I'd feel that I need to cater for them as a web developer. However, If it is purely for your own use and not for public purpose, use flash if you feel more comfortable with it :)

You were a noob once too!

I'd recommend HTML5, purely for the better compatibility with mobile devices. More and more web browsing is being done on mobile devices than ever before, so I'd feel that I need to cater for them as a web developer. However, If it is purely for your own use and not for public purpose, use flash if you feel more comfortable with it :)
well its for my portfolio, but id expect employers to use a laptop/ desktop/ tablet to look at it... but i have no experience with htlm5 or css3 :/ so itl mean learning new things for it all... which wont be bad. just annoying for me

absolutely HTML5. flash sucks in so many ways.

if i use flash i will be implementing scaleform mechanics to keep it smooth and clean

htlm5 for sure.

If you use something like Jquery you can do a lot of fancy looking stuff while keeping it really easy on the cpu and ram and pretty easy to program.

Id go for html5 as i find it easy enough to code and as you said it is becoming the new standard (future proofing your code :-))

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

is it worth me making a Flash website then working on a html5, css3, Sass website after, then upgrading when its done?

is it worth me making a Flash website then working on a html5, css3, Sass website after, then upgrading when its done?
I don't think it is, Html5 is really easy.

Just look for some tutorials on it, look for some templates and try some stuff out. The templates can be good for testing things, you don't have to use em for your final site if you don't want to.

You'll be able to come up with something that doesn't look bad pretty quickly.

HTML5 all the way, If you can use Dreamweaver it becomes a doddle, most of it is automated. You won't learn much that way, but will be able to produce something really nice...

Flash has too many issues with browsers, it can really ruin relationships with clients/employers/customers.

HTML5!!, although not all of its features are supported in every browser it's better in terms of "portability", it will work in most of the mobile devices and laptops/pcs

I would only recomend flash if it's an application that is only running in a device you know maybe a presentation...

HTML5, because it is really easy to pick up and learn

Well, your portfolio is supposed to show what you are currently capable of creating, correct? I would then advise you to create something in flash, as it is what you are currently capable of creating. What you could do afterwards is learn HTML5 and create something new, showing that you are not only capable of creating impressive visual websites, but also able to apply your skill set to new technologies.

If you were creating a website for any other purpose though, I personally think HTML5 would be the way to go.

If you want to reach out to apple users, then HTML5. This especially goes for mobile platforms.

HTML5 is definitely the way. Along with CSS3 you can create websites with almost equivalent animations and higher responsiveness. Not to mention compatibility issues that could arise with mobile devices when using flash.

I hardly see new things being created with Flash nowadays. It's like fading out from the market and the internet.

Like RLemon said, if you are going to show what you can do, and intend to get a Job out of it, then do your best with Flash. But I strongly advice you to start learning HTML5 and CSS3, because that's going to be dominant in the early future.

Or, if you have time/money to spend, and don't really need a Job on Flash right now, go learn HTML5 and CSS3 ASAP so you can prepare yourself for the future.

Ok, so many miss information.

1- Flash is the easier to learn than HTML5.

2- Flash is not designed to do entire webpages with it. And while it is possible to do an impressive job, it is extremely hard. You really need to know programming in general, and really know Flash, it's limitation, and how to do deep optimization to get it right, and also offer the ability to the user to bookmark a page and fast to load. It's no easy task.

3- Flash is like C++... you can do amazing "shit in your pants" things, super tightly optimized consuming virtually nothing as resources, like you can have memory and CPU hog monstrosity for nothing app.

4- Anything in Flash will only be viewable on desktop and laptops. Something to keep in mind.

When to use Flash:

See it as if it was Java. You don't do full website with it. You don't do ads with it. And you certainly do not do menus and other animated content (except playing videos) with Flash.

You can do offline exe programs, or you can do web apps that would be otherwise very very very tricky to do with HTML5 and Java-Script, although possible (see Office Online in Skydrive), or Google Docs. Possible, but very hard. Flash would be much easier.

I know Flash very well, it's my first programming language, and yes I agree with everyone 80-90% of how Flash is being used right now on sites is completely wrong. Reminds me of the early days of the internet, where people made websites, or menus of a website in JAVA!.. Oh god it took forever to load... Already Java takes time to load, and that was back when we have significantly much slower RAM, CPU and HDD's, and limited quantities. It was like "screw it!. Faster to format and reinstall, than wait."

I guess this is what happens when you have a language that is too welcoming and easy to pick up. You have kids doing stuff with it, and web designer with 0 knowledge on programming and how a computer works, doing stuff with it.. oh boy.

If you don't know Flash, it's useless to learn it. Flash is dead. The day Adobe purchased Macromedia, Adobe wanted to close Flash. Adobe never cared about Flash, all they wanted was the small program from Macromedia.. Fireworks and some patents, and not the company flag ship product, Flash.

Flash development was moving extremely fast. It was becoming a language more powerful than Java, easy. It had huge amount of potential, the company was extremely motivated, and had extremely talented people working on Flash. When Adobe purchased Macromedia, that all soon stop. Now Flash is developing slower than the speed of a racing tomato can.. and if you tell me that cans can't move.. that's my point.

html 5, only because it is more widely supported across platform and doesn't require a download like flash (mostly)

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

• 3 weeks later...

I am building a HTML5 Website in Dreamweaver CS6 using the Smart Template system, its a slow learning curve but its going well so far, iv decided to create a Flash section to the website for portfolio reasons covering my work with Scaleform, I am planning on using Flash for the download section of my website to keep things clean, but I will do a HTML5 variation of it as a "just in case" measure.

also might do some things in Java at some point like a small game for the browser... nothing massive

You will find even tablets will have some problems. My sergestion would be to make 2 portfolos sounds like alot of work but then you will get bonus points. But overal depends on your skill set and what you know, If you can do both then make both it will do 2 thinks show of your skills as an art work and then show skills in coding.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

You will find even tablets will have some problems. My sergestion would be to make 2 portfolos sounds like alot of work but then you will get bonus points. But overal depends on your skill set and what you know, If you can do both then make both it will do 2 thinks show of your skills as an art work and then show skills in coding.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

• 2 weeks later...
^ And you won't have to do that on HTML5. HTML5 has better browser support than flash.

HTML5 all the way, If you can use Dreamweaver it becomes a doddle, most of it is automated. You won't learn much that way, but will be able to produce something really nice...

Flash has too many issues with browsers, it can really ruin relationships with clients/employers/customers.

For starters I would just recommend using notepad++ or other text editors instead of Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver produces a lot of 'bloatcodes'.

As a young but experience web developer, I personally believe that whatever language you pickup first is easier to learn. HTML and ActionScript are quite simple languages once you get the syntax down, but as everyone else has said, go with HTML5. Flash is no longer supported on mobile devices, such as phones and tablets, and I suspect that while Adobe will keep support and updates for building web apps, games, and training videos with it, they will probably fall for HTML5 as well.

HTML5 works on every modern web browser, and seems to be the most unified HTML version yet. You can code an entire website from it, for every device from a desktop with a HUGE monitor, down to a Nintendo DSi's tiny screen. Simply code the webpage to identify the user agent and screen size, then restructure accordingly. This also presents an easy way to enable CPU intensive jQuery fades and slides on desktop/laptop systems, and have simple menus for your mobile counterparts and other devices with slower CPU's.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)