what to do after assembling new PC? noob question

callmecars

as the title suggests I just want to know ever detail of what to do after I assemble my PC

I read the "Guides & Tutorials Catalog" thread, and I don't think my question is really answered there, I find mostly threads about how to pick your hardware and how to assemble them but no definitive guide on what to do after, if there is please a link would be well appreciated.

as far as I know and read about, I just have to install windows (or whatever OS I want), and there's this thing about bios. But how can I even do things? I mean I read everywhere that you have to install certain drivers for your mouse and keyboard to use them, and I don't know if they'll work and be useful when doing all this installation stuff (or if I even need them to work)

I'm sorry if all this sounds super stupid and ultra noob level stuff, but it's just driving me crazy that I might make a big mistake and f up the whole build if I do something wrong

install the drivers that your motherboard came with, restart then run benchmarks

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1. Install OS
  2. Install motherbourd drivers from manufacturer page (Latest ones) 
  3. Install GPU drivers 
  4. Install required apps from this page (https://ninite.com/) > Ps the site will automatically skip ads/bloatwares

Watch this video,if you haven't overlooked or anything,skip the first few things like stress testing 

http://youtu.be/roFb3TNePIg?t=33m22s 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

1. Install OS
  2. Install motherbourd drivers from manufacturer page 
  3. Install GPU drivers 
  4. Install required apps from this page (I will edit later) 

what about all the BIOS thing that I keep hearing about?

I updated my post*

You don't need to change anything from the BIOS,just make sure they are at their defaults and everything is detected  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

May need to set it in BIOS to auto-boot using whatever HD your OS is located on. Other than that you shouldn't need to mess with the BIOS just to get the computer in a normal "usable" state (the same way it'd be if, say, you got it prebuilt from an OEM).

another thing you might have to do is disable the iGPU for it to use your gpu instead of onboard graphics

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1. Install OS
  2. Install motherbourd drivers from manufacturer page 
  3. Install GPU drivers 
  4. Install required apps from this page (https://ninite.com/) > Ps the site will automatically skip ads/bloatwares

Watch this video,if you haven't overlooked or anything,skip the first few things like stress testing 

http://youtu.be/roFb3TNePIg?t=33m22s 

post-122851-0-94817600-1419089779.gif

another thing you might have to do is disable the iGPU for it to use your gpu instead of onboard graphics

where will I do that?

where will I do that?

the bios

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hehe 

By the way is that the new Doctor who season?

/Off topic 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Download and install drivers from the respective websites of the components. Drivers for mice and keyboards may be needed for certain features to work. I'd skip installing them if they're working fine. 

The Guides and Tutorials section is for posting guides/tips and not asking for assistance--I'm moving the thread.

Please post in the correct sub-forum in the future. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

install the drivers that your motherboard came with, restart then run benchmarks

Really really you never saw Linus or someone else throwing that disk away.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Download and install drivers from the respective websites of the components. Drivers for mice and keyboards may be needed for certain features to work. I'd skip installing them if they're working fine. 

The Guides and Tutorials section is for posting guides/tips and not asking for assistance--I'm moving the thread.
Please post in the correct sub-forum in the future. 

sorry I thought it was asking for guides/tips, might I ask which sub-forum this question would fit in?

sorry I thought it was asking for guides/tips, might I ask which sub-forum this question would fit in?

I've already moved the thread to General Discussion.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hehe 

By the way is that the new Doctor who season?

/Off topic 

I have no clue where it's from...

/Off-Topic

I think it's from this. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427042/

/Off-Topic

No one ever knows where the gifs they post are from lol

/Off-Topic

That is the 10th doctor. Two doctors and at least 4 seasons ago.

/Off topic

Back on topic, don't stress over it too much. Once your PC is assembled, pop the windows disk/drive in and install it. Your mouse, keyboard, and all that will work automatically. Once windows is all done, the FIRST thing you should do is update it. It will grab the most recent drivers for a lot of your hardware. If there is any missing you can then go to the manufacture's website and download/install the most recent. Don't use the driver disks that come with your hardware. That was something done before we had high speed internet and almost always contain out of date drives. Some still include them in case say your Ethernet driver inst auto installed by windows. In that case use the driver disk so you can get online and update everything.

The BIOS stuff is most likely not needed. You will only need to get into the BIOS if something isn't functioning properly or you want to overclock, etc. Otherwise stay out of there unless you know what you are doing. If you run into a problem, search the internet for answers. They are everywhere.

I would download the latest safe BIOS for your motherboard... I didn't and it pretty much just made my PC crash after a couple of days xD

Cpt. Shadows

1.Install OS

2.Install Drivers

3. Install Applications

4, Personalize System

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

You can update the Bios at any time.

1: BIOS set your SATA control mode if your making a raid array then it needs to be configured in the bios before you install the OS also if you just have a single disk you can set it to IDE or AHCI mode you also need to do this before installing the OS 

2:The OS is installed by the driver disk or USB stick. its very easy plug and play just set the bios to boot to the disk or USB stick. you may need to install drivers in the OS install like if you have a Revo drive and some AHCI SATA drivers. its best to have a laptop handy with doing the install so you can down load the latest drivers if you find you need something you missed.

3: Install drivers always get the latest driver from the net. ( Audio, chipset, lan, SATA, usb, vga and GPU) I reset the PC after each install and insure it has installed correctly. its also easy to load each of these onto a usb stick prior to the install of OS

4: load software. (Games, Microsoft office, So on)

5: Overclocking time. don't overclock the PC until you install all the main software an unstable overclock can result in errors and corruption.

your peripherals will install by themselves if your mouse isn't working when you first get into OS then plug it into the usb 2 port as a lot of boards don't support USB 3 native

You mention you might f*&k something up. You pretty much Can't and if you did you just put the OS disk in and format the drive and start again.  it's that easy.      

You put one of these things in for 75% more fps-

OR61900000447326_BigProductImage.jpg