Build Computers As A Hobby

So watching people like Singularity do builds for clients made me wonder. How could I start my own little side hobby business just building PC's for people? It'd help cure my need for building wanting to build computers. I assume Craigslist. Of course. Is that the best way? Also, I see some people get sponsored to do builds. How do I get in on that? If anyone has this type of business and can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

We'll. kida hard. You get yourself known. You get a degree. You contact major companies and ask for a sponsorship...

Don't quote me on that, I'm just 12

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

So watching people like Singularity do builds for clients made me wonder. How could I start my own little side hobby business just building PC's for people? It'd help cure my need for building wanting to build computers. I assume Craigslist. Of course. Is that the best way? Also, I see some people get sponsored to do builds. How do I get in on that? If anyone has this type of business and can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

You could let your family know you are good at building computers so they could spread the word around, maybe even ask them if they know of anyone that wants to buy a pre-made PC, and you can build it for cheaper, you could even do it for free. But as everything in life, you start from deep down, and get yourself known.

You do not just "get sponsored" by asking.

You need to make something special, unique, excellent. Then do it multiple times. Then you MIGHT get contacted by a company to use their products.

If you want to just build PCs you're never going to get sponsored. You need to make something of this type of quality

snef-bloody-angel-pc-mod-3.jpg

and obviously this takes skill, time, and money.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm not trying to kill a dream or anything but the stuff that singularity computers does is not reasonable for anyone unless you have your own company that sells custom computers like Singularity computers does.

Singularity Computers' business isn't really sustainable imo.

I now build for money, but start out as the cheapest, buy cheap parts, sell at no profit. Wait for the reputation and then start doing it for money. I now make £50-250 per build because people trust the computers I build.

Here are some tips:

• Gigabyte Motherboard (done three so far with the H81M-S2H because it's cheap as fuck, used a number of H81 boards prior to the S2H's launch)
  • Intel processor (Yeah, no overheating bitches)
  • Windows Professional if in a workplace and normal otherwise
  • Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 generally, if the customer is cheaping out, go for a Core
  • Take pride in building.

Compatible with Windows 95

Singularity Computers' business isn't really sustainable imo.

I now build for money, but start out as the cheapest, buy cheap parts, sell at no profit. Wait for the reputation and then start doing it for money. I now make £50-250 per build because people trust the computers I build.

Here are some tips:

• Gigabyte Motherboard (done three so far with the H81M-S2H because it's cheap as fuck, used a number of H81 boards prior to the S2H's launch)
  • Intel processor (Yeah, no overheating bitches)
  • Windows Professional if in a workplace and normal otherwise
  • Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 generally, if the customer is cheaping out, go for a Core
  • Take pride in building.

Where you sell? Website, craigslist or?

Where you sell? Website, craigslist or?

Person to person.

Also, a free advert in the local newspaper 'Wirral Globe' helped a lot, got loads of people phoning up to inquire.

Compatible with Windows 95

There are professionals who do this kind of thing, so unless you want to do it for free chances are people will prefer them. Plus, if you break anything by accident, you have no ensurance of any kind covering the price, so the day you drop a titan z you're broke.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Person to person.

Also, a free advert in the local newspaper 'Wirral Globe' helped a lot, got loads of people phoning up to inquire.

I see.... I was also thinking of selling some on Ebay maybe. If I can get at least 30$ profit it's worth the fun and everything! :)

I think it's ok to build PC's as a 'hobby' for friends and family only. But as a business, don't bother. It's cut-throat and the profit margins are crap. Keep in mind, you'll be competing with retail outlets like NCIX that buy direct, built them cheap, and offer warranties.

I'd love to do the same. I really enjoy tinkering with my own computer.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs