A Microsoft Employee Wrote an interesting Corporate Blog Post..

Confusing, and all over the place, yes. Does he make a point, yes. Was this a sales ad ? No, it was blog post, connecting a variety of points together and making it a little more human "y" ? To be rather honest I found it very interesting. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Being around one and actually in one are very different things. I don't have any use for Outlook at home whatsoever. Gmail is far superior for my personal needs. But when it comes to a corporate environment, Outlooks just blows it out of the water. Scheduling meetings with built-in room-reservations, shared IMAP inboxes that multiple people use (think support@somecompany.com type emails), etc. And I was not a very advanced Outlook user. It's just a completely different use case than Gmail.

Personally, I just hate the layout. So much empy space taken up for stylistic bullshit instead of actually being efficient in it's display of information. I think that the emails themselves should take up more than a third of the window. Not to mention the way they display the emails when you open them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the%2Bbiggest%2Blie%2BI%2Btell%2Bmyself%

Except I usually do. And I've got the test scores to prove it. Never studied for a test in my life, almost always get an A.

Except math.

and then I go and get an F for not doing homework lol

Personally, I just hate the layout. So much empy space taken up for stylistic bullshit instead of actually being efficient in it's display of information. I think that the emails themselves should take up more than a third of the window. Not to mention the way they display the emails when you open them.

Much of the layout in Outlook is fairly customizable. So to be fair, you could probably fix much of the issues you have with the default view.

Sure, it's not Android level of customization, but it's still decent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Much of the layout in Outlook is fairly customizable. So to be fair, you could probably fix much of the issues you have with the default view.

Sure, it's not Android level of customization, but it's still decent.

Sounds like too much work. Do they make skins? If so I bet a "gmail" skin already exists.

Sounds like too much work. Do they make skins? If so I bet a "gmail" skin already exists.

That I'm not actually sure of.

To be honest, I wouldn't want a gmail skin. Gmail is functional for a consumer/home email address... but c'maaaan... it's ugly as FUCK.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yup. Every time in choir when we don't write something down we get chewed out, and the truth is this: writing it down helps you remember, and if you still have to use music by performance time, you didn't have it memorized in the first place, so don't shoot yourself in both feet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Except I usually do. And I've got the test scores to prove it. Never studied for a test in my life, almost always get an A.

Except math.

and then I go and get an F for not doing homework lol

What's your major?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I really don't understand.  I mean, at first I was thinking it was a confession saying that Google docs is really awesome.   But then it changed to why Office 365 beats Google Docs.  Then it turned to fixing automobiles.  What.  The.  Crap.

This is really weird, but maybe this guy was drunk or on drugs.   Still, thats no excuse for writing something this unprofessional on a corporate blog.  

i work in a corporate environment and we started out using the usual Microsoft office tools (excel, outlook, etc)

the company decided to shift into google apps as it is cheaper.

everyone had to learn new stuff, not everybody though had good learning curves, but that's ok.

it solved problems with outlook that we had before, but new problems arose with google docs as it is still being worked on. it has cell limits, lacking formulae, etc.. (we're seeing improvements up to now)

but it also meant I can work outside the office (home, and while on vacation)..wouldn't recommend doing that, though..

seems like the Dad is orthodox, prefers the old but trusted ways. and his lecture to the son who's forward looking, kind of.lol

anyways, really tried to make something out of what i read  :D

That I'm not actually sure of.

To be honest, I wouldn't want a gmail skin. Gmail is functional for a consumer/home email address... but c'maaaan... it's ugly as FUCK.

It look far better than outlooks, no wasted space with large areas of just...nothingness.

What's your major?

Network Security. only in the 4th semester, 2 classes per semester (Except the first one, which was a "how to go to college" class). So far the most difficult thing has been college algebra. I'm sure when shit gets technical I will start needing notes.

It look far better than outlooks, no wasted space with large areas of just...nothingness.

Network Security. only in the 4th semester, 2 classes per semester (Except the first one, which was a "how to go to college" class). So far the most difficult thing has been college algebra. I'm sure when shit gets technical I will start needing notes.

I was gonna say: network security and no notes? either you're not far enough in or you're full of it. Good to know it's the former. Network security taught by an expert, hopefully by the guy who manage's your school's network, will not be easy.

I was gonna say: network security and no notes? either you're not far enough in or you're full of it. Good to know it's the former. Network security taught by an expert, hopefully by the guy who manage's your school's network, will not be easy.

I'd be extremely disappointed if it was as easy as it has been. The really hard part thus far is having 5 week semesters. Right now I'm on college algebra (>.<) and "Logic and Design in programming" which just seems to be flow charts, pseudo-code, and the logic that goes into writing a program, etc. No actual languages yet though.

Something about eating bugs and trying to peddle Office. Is he high?

I'd be extremely disappointed if it was as easy as it has been. The really hard part thus far is having 5 week semesters. Right now I'm on college algebra (>.<) and "Logic and Design in programming" which just seems to be flow charts, pseudo-code, and the logic that goes into writing a program, etc. No actual languages yet though.

EW! We jumped right into Java at Miami. You hit the ground running on basic syntax and data types the first day. MIT approaches it a bit from the "algorithmic thinking first" principle, but even they have their first years do a lot of programming up front. 

My advice? Go to one of a hundred online C++ tutorials and just go for it.

I want to see a commercial with parts from this blog being narrated during the commercial. Don't know why, it just came to my head and I think it would be funny.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. That was a nice little story. It's obvious why it got taken down, I mean it's basically just throwing shit at Google. I liked the story though.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

EW! We jumped right into Java at Miami. You hit the ground running on basic syntax and data types the first day. MIT approaches it a bit from the "algorithmic thinking first" principle, but even they have their first years do a lot of programming up front. 

Well he is studying security. It would be counter productive to even touch Java.

Well he is studying security. It would be counter productive to even touch Java.

Not at all. Most networking applications these days are built either on Java or Python. Yes, security is built using OpenSSL, but that is use to supplement existing coded applications. You need to know programming before you attempt to make it secure. Don't kid yourself. You'll forever be an amateur if you stay on the outside.

Not at all. Most networking applications these days are built either on Java or Python. Yes, security is built using OpenSSL, but that is use to supplement existing coded applications. You need to know programming before you attempt to make it secure. Don't kid yourself. You'll forever be an amateur if you stay on the outside.

I was making a joke (because Java is terrible in terms of security) but it seems like the joke didn't work. =/

Going to need a [citation needed] on most networking applications (especially if you're refereeing to security oriented ones) being written in Java or Python.

I don't know what you mean by "security is built using OpenSSL". I am not sure what he studies exactly but when I hear network security I think firewalls (ACL, CBAC etc), AAA and other networking things, not programming a desktop application that uses a network to transfer data.

I was making a joke (because Java is terrible in terms of security) but it seems like the joke didn't work. =/

Going to need a [citation needed] on most networking applications (especially if you're refereeing to security oriented ones) being written in Java or Python.

I don't know what you mean by "security is built using OpenSSL". I am not sure what he studies exactly but when I hear network security I think firewalls (ACL, CBAC etc), AAA and other networking things, not programming a desktop application that uses a network to transfer data.

Firewalls only get so far. How do you prevent a buffer overflow or smashing the stack? You need security at the programming level as well. That's where OpenSSL and its sister APIs come in.

As per the citation, that would be Dr. Scott Campbell --Miami University Systems Administrator and professor of server systems, cloud computing, and network security.

Firewalls only get so far. How do you prevent a buffer overflow or smashing the stack? You need security at the programming level as well. That's where OpenSSL and its sister APIs come in.

That's the responsibility of the software developers, not the sysadmin. OpenSSL doesn't protect against buffer overflows or basically any other attacks other than reconnaissance attacks.

Again, not sure what he is studying exactly but to me, network security means "I will become a sysadmin or network consultant", not "I will be a programmer and my programs will be able to send data safely over the Internet".

That's the responsibility of the software developers, not the sysadmin. OpenSSL doesn't protect against buffer overflows or basically any other attacks other than reconnaissance attacks.

Again, not sure what he is studying exactly but to me, network security means "I will become a sysadmin or network consultant", not "I will be a programmer and my programs will be able to send data safely over the Internet".

If you think sysadmins never have to write programs, you know some shitty admins. Furthermore, your understanding of OpenSSL is very lacking. That's exactly what it's there for. Heartbleed was a buffer overflow exploit not covered by OpenSSL for instance.

You also can't be an effective network consultant without being very knowledgeable of both the hardware and software infrastructure.

I'm willing to bet he thinks Outlook and Onenote are useful as well.

Don't get me wrong, office has it's uses. But I could honestly do without onenote and outlook. I DESPISE both of them. Especially onenote's tendency to replace my moms printer as default printer, because fucking reasons.

Outlook might be the most stupid fucking program in the history of the world. My grandfather is 85, and he needs things to stay pretty much the same, despite actually being very interested in computers. So he needs outlook, which means I have to work in it from time to time and it enfuriates.

Trying to export and import an addressbook in outlook,  leads to either suicidal or homicidal feelings.

whaaaat? How long was that class? Seems prett easy.

1. Show up while not being too  drunk.

2. do your homework

3. pass

4. Spend the rest of your life yelling "GO -Insert mascot name-" every time you meet anybody from the same school.

Don't worry LAwLz....I laughed;-)

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.