Microsoft defends Xbox One $500 price point

Seriously Microsoft !!!

Microsoft's Xbox boss Don Mattrick has spoken out to defend the Xbox One's $500 price point, saying the company is in fact over-delivering value with the next-generation system.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-defends-xbox-one-500-price-point-were-over-delivering-value-6410352

Intel Core i5 4670k,ASUS B85-MG,4GB Vengeance,Gigabyte 7950,Cooler Master Elite 430 Black,Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro

Regardless of my feelings towards the XB1, this guy seems to have smoked something seriously

powerful this morning:

Any modern product these days you look at it [and] $499 isn't a ridiculous price point.

Right. Any modern product. WTF?

We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it.

Of course you are. The problem is you're talking about Zimbabwe dollars, not USD :lol:

(note: 1000 ZWD ~ 2.7 USD at the moment)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get"

Guess he hasn't heard of the PS4 yet. IE does take a long time to update I've heard.

Months ago both Microsoft and Sony said that this time around they will not be posting a loss on the consoles so you aren't getting more for your money like you did last time with the PS3. That thing was expensive as hell but the technology in it at the time made it a steal. The whole console was cheaper than some blu-ray players at the time.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Well they do include the kinect in the bundle, so I suppose if one were to take the optimist's stand and say "what if it works really well?" it could be a pretty cool little system.

It's just that they have done such a piss poor job marketing it. I suppose we'll see how it all goes down this winter.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Big mistake, they have now completely eliminated hope of cutting the price, which will give people on the fence the confidence to go for a PS4.

To be fair, They're banking on the software side of the system. Not necessarily the hardware. PS4's hardware is higher spec'd as well as $100 cheaper but when it comes to the PS4's OS I doubt you're going to be able to do like 30% of what's possible on an Xbox One when it comes to social services. (Skype, Twitch TV, SmartGlass...) The way I see it, Sony caters to the hardcore gamer (as always) where as MS caters to the social gamer.

With that said, consoles suck.

There is no value in a gaming console that can't let you play games offline ,requires you to pay a fee when you buy a used game and has the specs of a pc that costs 50-100 dollars less. Also when a console that is more powerful and lets you do the above^ and is also 100 dollars cheaper then that is considered value.

Here is a bright idea. Make a version not-bundled with Kinect, change the always on/count viewers in room policies, and then sell the smaller version for 100 dollars less. Everyone would flock to MS. Sure, you might deliver more than Sony in terms of OS, but none of that stuff are things most people care about, or at least the hardcore gamers. If I wanted a media box in my house I'd buy one. I just want to kick back and play freakin' games like its 1994. I don't want to work 50 hours a week, come home on my Saturday and have to go through this procedure; Make sure the game works, make sure the internet works, make sure sure the game updates. I don't want to wait an hour for day 1 releases in order to install my game, update my game, and pray that that the servers are working! Hell I don't want to wait 10 minutes for that. A lot of that above rant is why I don't like the PS3 ffs, and MS is just making it worse. 

Here is a bright idea. Make a version not-bundled with Kinect, change the always on/count viewers in room policies, and then sell the smaller version for 100 dollars less. Everyone would flock to MS. 

They can't. The Kinect is hard coded into the OS it seems. An example is it needs to be able to detect who's holding the controller so it can change the gamer profiles accordingly between people. Seems cool until you realize that the Kinect needs to be able to recognize your body and face and store that data either locally or on a MS server.

Don "Go buy an Xbox 360 if you can't connect online" Mattrick is on a roll lately!

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Basically, Mircosoft wants you to pay $100 more for them to bundle a Kinect so they can spy on you.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I don't get why they just don't make a separate SKU for a kinect-less Xbox One?  Why does the Kinect have to be a mandatory part of all this?

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

The sad thing is that the casual gamers won't give a shit imo if they can do a lot of cool stuff with the console. Gaming is a lot more widespread than it was 7 years ago. Its not just people gaming 20hrs+ a week that own consoles now. I would say old school  gamers arent the majority anymore. We do care about it but imo Microsoft could end up still being successful even with all the shit that happened.

Those "casuals" probably don't even know that E3 and all that jazz exists.

Who knows. What if games on the XBOX cost significantly less than on the ps4? If they are, all of XBOX's annoyances will mean nothing to the mass majority of people. If that happened then the value comment is fully justified.

Give em a chance.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Who knows. What if games on the XBOX cost significantly less than on the ps4? If they are, all of XBOX's annoyances will mean nothing to the mass majority of people. If that happened then the value comment is fully justified.

Give em a chance.

Games on the Xbone and PS4 will keep the $59.99 price tag.

Basically, Mircosoft wants you to pay $100 more for them to bundle a Kinect so they can spy on you.

Don't forget about PRISM. The government might literally have a spycam in your home thanks to the Kinect.

Hmm I wonder what this Lamb guy is up too. He send en email talking about going to the middle east on a "holiday". Let's look at what he is packing in his luggage. Gotta make sure it's not a bomb, right?

Is that 100% confirmed though man?

Me and my dad were talking about this and we both agree that Xbox games *should* cost much less. However we both have doubts it will actually happen.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Don't forget about PRISM. The government might literally have a spycam in your home thanks to the Kinect.

Do you have a smartphone? If so you're walking around with GPS and a microphone on you all the time. I'd be more worried about that.

Is that 100% confirmed though man?

Me and my dad were talking about this and we both agree that Xbox games *should* cost much less. However we both have doubts it will actually happen.

There are sources that report the prices for Xbone games will stay the same. Bot physical and digital games.

Well if that's the case i don't see many people biting.

Do you have a smartphone? If so you're walking around with GPS and a microphone on you all the time. I'd be more worried about that.

lol no kidding read how many of your apps need allowance to make phone calls, sms messages, microphone, and gps. A lot more than you would think unless you watch out for that kind of stuff.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Considering the price of the console itself, which would be close to the PS4's $400 price point, and then adding in the price of the Kinect (~$110 for the current-gen Kinect), the $500 pricetag isn't at all surprising...

Considering the price of the console itself, which would be close to the PS4's $400 price point, and then adding in the price of the Kinect (~$110 for the current-gen Kinect), the $500 pricetag isn't at all surprising...

true, but I still don't think it's worth it personally... Also power wise the PS4 has more...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

The problem is that Microsoft seems to be allergic to the concept of consumer options. It's been said time and time again that not everybody likes the Kinect. People like choices.

And let's not forget that the PS4 has higher specs. Sony... you're doing it right.