Are your parent's into computers?

asim1999

Mine arent;

my dad mainly uses the 8 year old Dell (Windows XP) laptop and his Galaxy S5 for emails and other basic stuff. My mum uses my Dell laptop  which i used for 5 years until is switched to RED RAMPAGE after my laptop was not powerful enough for my needs (it coudnt even do word processing as i lost a 500 word essay once cos the stupid thing crashed).Well she does use my rig once in a while when i need to send in absence letters to school (using the dropbox with all her letters in from the old desktop which she gave to her school). TBH, good riddance as that stupid thing kept bluescreening for a month until we replaced it. 

So yeah, my parents are beginners when it comes to technology and my dad always asks for my help with his phone (been pulled out of Titanfall matches constantly just cos he wants to know how to send an email or save a contact lol).

So yeah, are your parents good with computers and technology and what PCs, phones and tablets are they using as their daily devices?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

my dad used to

hes the one that got me into building computers

anything that hasnt changed in 7 years he can get

I tried to explain bitcoin to him I had to compare gpu's to shovels

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Nope, my mom doesn't know anything about computers but she still supports my passion of building them, and my dad knows a little bit about the core components and hardware but nothing about software.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Not even in the slightest. They use computers for facebook, google searches and paying bills. Any problem, no matter how easily solved, is invariably foisted upon me whenever I'm visiting.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

Mother: Her interest in computers is ZERO

Father: He actually likes computers, but he moved onto laptops around a decade ago, but he loved/loves computers :) He also knows some software stuff (i know he learned how to code in Commodore 64 era)...

My mother uses a computer for work, and has for like 25 years now.

My father uses them, but anything on the internet he assumes to be lies. Whilst watching fox news.

Oh the irony.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nope. My mom flips out when she sees my computer with a side panel off.. Or when I take it to the kitchen table to change something in it. At least they let me do stuff with it ever since I built a friend's rig.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

HAHA, My mom thinks google is the internet. "Let me open google" "GOOGLE IS GONE!!!!"

My dad spends over 1k Euros on a Mac, but a PC isn't allow to cost more than 200. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

my mom is pretty good when using the ipad, but after she uses it, the screen is SO OILY and greasy because of her moisturizer! lol

my dad works in the computer field.. sooo

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

my mom just uses one for facebook and keep asking me what her password is every time she logs in.

my mom doesnt even have a pc other than the one at her shop, well actually she does have a laptop here at home but its kinda old-ish. my dad is fairly interested in computers actually :D he loved the fact that i was really into building my own, and i loved the look on his face when we went to microcenter and he saw endless walls of pc components, although he recently bought a macbook (due to its ease of use and simplicity, which he likes), i like that he supports my interest for technology.

tl;dr~

mom: doesnt have a clue how to deal with components, uses a desktop at her store and her laptop and iphone 5

dad: loves that im into computers, uses macbook air 13" and iphone 5, he shows interest in computers

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Father - not a chance

Mother - less into computers more into networking, works at Intel I therefore get more than 50% off any Intel device. :P

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

No. My mom has a laptop, and she uses it for eBay and women things. My dad, meanwhile, has become attached to his iPhone because of Facebook, but isn't into computers either. He doesn't even have one of his own atm, aside from the one at his job. They are proud of me for building a PC of my own, though, probably because of how much work I put into getting the funds for it.

My dad is the one that pretty much got me into computers, as well as my uncle, but my mom is not that great. I mean, she has a Macbook Air for school and understands the basics, but nothing else.

My mom used to be an expert, but she fell out of it after Windows ME. Around that time, she switched careers and didn't need to be nearly as tech savvy. She still has the basics (can use her phone to send emails and create contacts, surf the web with ease, download stuff and know where it was saved, knows what hard drive to save stuff to, stuff like that. Not so much system building and stuff of that level anymore) and can navigate the seas of tech pretty well, but I am the family's tech expert now. My dad is equally competent as she is, but was never a huge techie.

My mom doesn't care as long as they work.

My dad used to be interested in computers. He taught me how to use an atari 2600 and his commodore 64.

Then he gave me my first computer^^ An amiga 600 with an expanded ram cartridge. Yeah. That beast had 2mb's of ram :)

His interest faded pretty quickly after windows 95 came out though. And nowadays he couldn't care less even if he tried

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

HAHA, My mom thinks google is the internet. "Let me open google" "GOOGLE IS GONE!!!!"

My dad spends over 1k Euros on a Mac, but a PC isn't allow to cost more than 200. 

well, when you think about it, a 1K Mac is a $200 PC lol

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

My dad would like to think that he's knowledgeable about computers, but then points out that he doesn't have the spare time to put to learning their ins and outs. He used to be pretty knowledgeable about them back in the days of VGA, SCSI, Serial ports and Pentium IIIs. Nowadays he tends to take things for granted a bit. He's actually the one who got me into learning about computers. And Linux, as a matter of fact. He has the fourth edition of Using Linux, which for those of you who aren't aware, is a TOME. He's also got a huge assortment of different books, including one for Microsoft Publisher. Though, to be honest, I have far, far exceeded his knowledge of computers. He thought that getting a 5450 was a good idea. Yeah. No. he also upgraded the RAM in his 2009 iMac to 12GB. It has mixed RAM now. Brilliant.

Neither of my parents have used a computer that is actually capable of taking advantage of an SSD. (I mean, my dad has a 2013 macbook Air, but that's it. It's just not fast enough). My mom worked at Apple Computers in the 1990s and has her degree in Computer Science, yet I have had to help her with her email on numerous occasions. Understandable, I know, seeing as she spent the last 17 years being a mom instead of a debugger, but, come one, she was a DEBUGGER! She actually worked with code! Her knowledge in programming was what got my dad start dating her!

My father is a bloody caveman as far as computers go, but I don't see him as much as my step-father who programs rocket computers for Magellan Aerospace.

Dad always trying to stomp it out of me probably just got me more into it, and the step was more than willing to teach me some of what he knew, although he doesn't keep up with the newest hardware as much as he used to.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

My dad has always liked all things tech, but was never a computer guy. My mom took three years to figure out how to change the TV from one source to another, so... no, not her.

My father never was into computers, at all. In fact, he never used a computer in his life from what I remember him saying, even though he was formerly an electrician. That is, back when he was alive...

My mother though... She's not really into computers either, but uses (my former) desktop PC for facebook, reading more or less useless news, emails, paying the bills etc.. Basic stuff. She used to know more back when Windows 98 was relevant, but ever since Windows XP came out, her knowledge has dropped to basically nothing.

Not about parents, but: my grandmother isn't any better, but she actually supports my enthusiasm to an extent, and thinks that I could possibly pursue a career in that area. The only relative I know who's actually into computers is my godparent, and he's one of the people who got me into computers, and helped me building my first (and the current) rig.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My dad used to be but he is getting seriously rusty, still thinking that ide is a thing and stuff.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

My Mum is 56yrs old, and uses 'hers' everyday for hours on end,...and loves it, she is playing World of Tanks at the moment with one of her male friends who plays it a lot and convinced her to give it a try.

She can research/search by herself without help, maintains her own machine, has her way of doing things already set up and she can tell if it's under-performing, thank god.

As my brother and I always have left over parts, we built her a SSD driven FX6300+6770-OC based system (plenty for WOT), I just got her a 1080p 27" to replace her 23" 1680x1050 screen.

Will no doubt be putting my 650w PSU and 270x in there this Xmas as well when she's out of her house for long enough for me to swap it and see if she notices 1080p being visually smoother.

My Mum was a desktop publisher in the early 90's, and has since learned how to build/fix her own PC via 10-15+ years with my brother and I always sharing tidbits of knowledge and showing her how to do things.

She's no Power user, but she isn't a newbie either.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz